• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

All Line Rover

Established Member
Just as aside, have the EC staff been given a pep-talk on being nice to customers. All the EC staff today seemed to be on 'best behaviour'.

I'd expect staff to be on "best behaviour" whether they've been given a "pep-talk" or not. Happy customers = repeat customers. Usually = happy staff too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
I have mixed views from my journey this morning, but I think that was more to do with the fact that the crew had a lot of breakfasts to cook. I don't think the quality was as nice as the previous at seat offer. I am sure things will improve cooking for a full mk4 set is a different league to the 20 if you were lucky that previously wanted breakfast.

I have always been against included meals, you feel a bit cheated if you don't get what you want. On the 1700 tomorrow and will take the bangers, but would prefer the resturant and to pay! It looks like the at seat will be missed. But if people start taking food from the station into 1st it will tell it's own story. I will check the menu and may be doing exactly that if I don't fancy what is on offer. Never had a day in the restaurant when I didn't fancy anything on the menu. If I was travelling at 1130 the free offer looks disappointing, Waverley station has lots of good outlets.

spacehopper

Lots and lots of "Welcome" and "customer service" posters everywhere. Also see that the hats policy has been dropped as it was to " authoritarian" and they wanted staff to look more "welcoming"!

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Lots and lots of "Welcome" and "customer service" posters everywhere. Also see that the hats policy has been dropped as it was to " authoritarian" and they wanted staff to look more "welcoming"!

I'll miss the hats on the women mind, well sexy! :oops:

Jdrowlands

Was on EC twice yesterday; a return journey from Doncaster to York. On both services it was announced that due to a lack of staff there wasn't going to be a trolley service. Was this the case on any of the other services? If so, what happened?

silentone

We're under strict instructions that other points of sale onboard may have to be sacrificed to provide a service in First. First must receive a full service at all times.

Additionally there is a shortage of staff as there have been a huge number of new jobs created and due to the unions taking so long to work/approve the rosters - those jobs have only just been filled.

In response to the staff being on their best behaviour, in the past people seem to forget that the staff are pretty much on a time restraint when delivering the service. Get the orders in, get the orders out, bill and clean-up/wash dishes, and that's not taking into account any additional requests or 'hurdles' someone might throw at you. Now everything is free and either you want it or not ... and there are no dishes to wash up!

Failed Unit

Established Member
I did notice that yesterday morning that the service was more staff intensive. That is without the PA to the chairman and the finance director serving tea and coffee!

To me it has always being a case of take it or leave it, but when it is included in the ticket price you feel oblidged to take it or you are not getting value for money. I will see how it beds in before I am too critical, I always thought Virgins plastic microwave bacon roll was pushing things on the voyagers. The solution was simple use standard instead as it isn't that busy on the 0652 leaving Edinburgh!

sonic2009

Established Member
I travelled with a Friend from KGX to LDS on the 2330 last night. Advance Single We got a few sandwiches, which were pinched from another train, as rail gourment didn't deliver, even though the hst had been sat in since 22:00

silentone

On the subject of microwaves, I don't think there is anything onboard now that actually uses the microwave. Most items are done using the steam ovens or the grill/fan oven function of the microwave.

Goodbye microwaved food!

Failed Unit

Established Member
On the subject of microwaves, I don't think there is anything onboard now that actually uses the microwave. Most items are done using the steam ovens or the grill/fan oven function of the microwave.

Goodbye microwaved food!

Going to see what joys the 1500 has to offer and how it copes with the airline mob. I dont think poor east coast have planned for a full mk4 set at this time!

1h20 minutes in they are struggling (I am sat in coach M). First off they went around with the tea, no change from last week. A trolley came along with the drinks expecting people to know what was offered, no-one did so he was getting frustrated by having to go through the whole offering. No sign of anything to eat yet. If this is how afternoon tea is served I hope people are not hungry on the trains dinner is served. The situation could of course be that they have already ran out of food if they started from coach K!

The good news is that they had not ran out of food, it arrived as we passed through Doncaster. The offer was a Ham and Mustard sandwich or a ploughmans sandwich with some fruit or cake. So the only thing that has "improved" is the sandwich considering a fruit cake was offered before.

Sorry Ms Holt, but if you think that this is going to tempt people out of standard you are wrong! It is like the Virgin breakfast on the voyager, use the money you save and stay in standard and buy something worthwhile from the station. I stand by my other comment if they can't serve sandwiches and cake by Doncaster, what chance do they have with the full meal on the evening service. Travelling yesterday between Edinburgh and Newcastle, they only just managed to get everyone served breakfast by Newcastle so I can see disappointed people on the services that stop more frequently. Someone travelling from London - Newark would not have got served today.

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
New timetable - same problems with regulation! Stuck behind something that is constantly signal checking the 1500 service. Until network rail can sort out regulation east cost will continue to have the worse punctunality record of any operator in the UK. 2nd round of drinks gone through the train, much quicker than from Kings Cross, but maybe not as much demand now the Newcastle passengers have gone. Still very busy.

2nd offering of a light snack, again much quicker than the first time around. however by the time they got to coach M very little left. From my 2 experiences so far I am very unimpressed. This is worse than what used to be on the 1500, and it was the only train that didn't have at seat catering to Edinburgh! Breakfast is OK but the quality is worse than before and then afternoon offering is not worth it. I will be back in a couple of weeks but on the 1700 so lets see what a full evening meal is like. Passengers leaving Kings Cross at about 1300, but something from the station before hand, you will need it!

Now I am in grumpy old man mode still too many services using platforms 8 & 9 at Edinburgh, we are booked onto it, great idea network rail with the amount of people that have heavy bags on this service. Found out what was signal checking us, the Northern local service to Chathill, we have just passed it at Alnmouth.

Last edited:

amcluesent

>if you think that this is going to tempt people out of standard you are wrong<

OT, but I'm seeing plenty of new peeps in 1st, even on the Leeds service so it's not all ash cloud avoiders.

Back OT, I'm now for asking fewer sandwiches as I'm too full after 4 to enjoy my evening meal in PBO ;)

The red wine option isn't too clever, small measures and it's chilled. Best bet is G&T I reckon, as that's standard size.

ApAp

I had the pleasure of being on the 19:00 final restaurant service on Friday, I have to say I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the usual friendly crew and of course the excellent food.

Now I'm sitting in the lounge for my first try of the new weekday service. I had a nightmare on Sunday when my booked train was full to standing in first class and the reservations had not been put on the seats (20:29 from York).

Failed Unit

Established Member
>if you think that this is going to tempt people out of standard you are wrong<

OT, but I'm seeing plenty of new peeps in 1st, even on the Leeds service so it's not all ash cloud avoiders.

Back OT, I'm now for asking fewer sandwiches as I'm too full after 4 to enjoy my evening meal in PBO ;)

The red wine option isn't too clever, small measures and it's chilled. Best bet is G&T I reckon, as that's standard size.

They maybe trying it but judging by this train and from the personal point of view I would not be back again just for the freebies. I used first class anyway so don't care about the freebies - I think at seat was about right. However with the slower northbound times to Edinburgh I seriously considered flying this time, glad I didn't with the volcano.

You were offered 4 sandwiches, wow, anyone on this train only got 2!

I should also say sorry to Northern for accusing them of causing our delay, it was in fact the more typical problem XC who seem to cause all my northbound delays on the ECML, for some reason the Penzance-Glasgow service is in a siding in Northumberland, I wonder if it has failed?

Everything totally cleared away by Berwick-Upon-Tweed, just in case anyone wants another brew, still a long way to Glasgow Central! <D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Follow the Scotrail local service all the way from wallyford so 2 late ex-Newcastle was 20 late into Waverley and probably on time into Glasgow. To top it off a 10 minute battle to get out of platform 8 as all the airline passengers battled the baggage on the steps. Very worrying new timetable but same problems.

Back to the topic. The timetable states - "From around 1100 choose from a selection of sandwiches, a lunch or a hot dish rounded off with a piece of fruit or a cake" where was the hot dish? Afternoon tea will be served on selected journeys between 1500 and 1630, I guess we were not one of them! Very disappointing east coast, time to write letter one. Hope the 1700 and the evening meal is better. I don't expect it to be upto the previous standards, but at least offer what is in the timetable. Many passengers were still surprised by the no beans in the breakfast yesterday - but at least the were not advertised in the timetable unlike the hot meals today!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Follow the Scotrail local service all the way from wallyford so 2 late ex-Newcastle was 20 late into Waverley and probably on time into Glasgow. To top it off a 10 minute battle to get out of platform 8 as all the airline passengers battled the baggage on the steps. Very worrying new timetable but same problems.

Back to the topic. The timetable states - "From around 1100 choose from a selection of sandwiches, a lunch or a hot dish rounded off with a piece of fruit or a cake" where was the hot dish? Afternoon tea will be served on selected journeys between 1500 and 1630, I guess we were not one of them! Very disappointing east coast, time to write letter one. Hope the 1700 and the evening meal is better. I don't expect it to be upto the previous standards, but at least offer what is in the timetable. Many passengers were still surprised by the no beans in the breakfast yesterday - but at least the were not advertised in the timetable unlike the hot meals today!

Last edited:

silentone

The Red Wine being chilled is one that should be sorted soon, it is meant to be removed from the cart to prevent it being chilled. Currently the wine is the same as that of the bar so it can be easily changed.

The airline mob have really put a strain on the new way of working, trains which are quieter are now busy but do not have the staff to cope! This seems to be causing problems because people are not getting offered meals as quickly as they wish.

I've just taken the stance that Tea & Coffee will come first, the drinks cart will follow shortly after and those doing Tea & Coffee will then bring the food cart along and take the orders for any hot food and do what they can. In reality it is going to take a while, and having one person go through and take orders is going to cause chaos when people place an order and don't get it because the crew run out of time.

The cake is meant to be offered after the food cart, at the minute it's taking so long to do the food that the cake never gets out the fridge, and the new 'cart/trolley' for the food really doesn't hold enough of everything you need!

A lot of the airline mob are surprised they are getting alcohol free and most are pleased with what will eventually come, some are obviously annoyed at how long it is taking but are also clearly blind to the fact that there are 1st class passengers standing in the vestibules. Tomorrow I'm taking another new step to speed things up to see how it goes! At the minute anything goes!

Edit: I also found I'm having to reduce the volume of wine folk are getting or risk running out. I went through 8-10 bottles before Newcastle today, plus numerous trips back to get more of the other drinks. There was one passenger who asked for everything I didn't have but I'm sure she was listening to me saying I didn't have it then decided to ask just so she should huff and puff about it.

There should have been a menu on your table telling you what the hot meal was on the page of the all day offer, u order it when the food trolley comes round and it will brought to you, it would have been veg biryani today

jon0844

Veteran Member
What a week to learn the new setup, but surely the ash cloud can be used as an excuse for the unprecedented demand.

If anyone complains, point out that they'd probably rather get food/drink late than be sitting in airport departure lounge for a few days...

...then slap them if they huff and puff!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member

Goodbye microwaved food!
That is very welcome news.

But what's this . . . . . .?
The red wine option isn't too clever, small measures and it's chilled.
Who, with anything more than a few days in catering College chills red wine? Really!
The Red Wine being chilled is one that should be sorted soon,
It shouldn't need to be sorted . . . it shouldn't happen.

But seriously, on long journeys, a proper meal, with proper food is what we want, and it doesn't have to loose the Company money. OK so the 'After 8' mints have gone, the salt cellar has gone, the linen went long ago, but the social (and almost ritualistic) pleasure of sitting down to a meal with other diners is hard to replace with ad hoc portions (and cold red wine) being distributed on a snacks rota.
I had the pleasure of being on the 19:00 final restaurant service on Friday, I have to say I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the usual friendly crew and of course the excellent food.
We'll have shared a sitting in 'the last supper'!
But you're right to refer to 'the atmosphere'. That simply doesn't exist in 'normal' First Class accomodation. Might as well take our luck in standard, though remembering to avoid the 'everyone in Coach F crush' syndrome.

One thing that has really annoyed me is the corporate 'spin' which seems to go along these lines - "We listened to our customers, and what they told us is that they want xxxx xxx xxxx, and so that's what we're introducing."
It would be interested to know what the question was.
Its a remarkable quirk of fate that the majority of 'customers' were wanting a change which quickly stops a financial haemorage. Or just coincidence?
(Or corporate spin?)

. . . . . where was the hot dish? Afternoon tea will be served on selected journeys between 1500 and 1630, I guess we were not one of them! Very disappointing east coast,
Now what's this? Months of planning, listening to customers, full refits, extra staff, menus printed. BUT NO HOT FOOD!

Must be the Icelandic's fault, 'cos we listened to customers and gave them what they wanted.

Last edited:

silentone

The red wine is loaded as part of the 'drinks' cart. The drinks carts are not chilled but some items within them are stored in chillers at the depots. RG then load up the cart with the various drinks then transport the cart to the train where it is then placed into the onboard chiller. With such a massive change in working, taking red wine out the cart is not something the crews have on their mind when they get on the train particularly if the drinks cart is loaded AM as it's not needed until PM.

The wine is not deliberately being chilled, but is in the process of transportation and loading getting chilled. This is only day 2 and the issue has been raised and crews are aware.

From what I've seen passengers seem to be engaging more with each other as they get a little merry from the complimentary alcohol.

The same sort of complaints came last year when we had the ash cloud, they vent their frustration at the staff almost instantly then later realise everything was being done to make sure they received a service.

I remember the very first day of the ash cloud last year, the train left full and everyone wanted Breakfast. I remember getting my last Breakfast out as the train pulled into Newcastle, after that we had nothing left. Going north, the aisles were full with people and they all wanted some sort of lunch/meal. On a good day we carried 30 meals but even that wasn't enough and trying to get meals out to everyone was a challenge.

There was eventually overwhelming praise for staff by passengers from last years cloud.

Lee_Again

I did a UK Rail Tours tour at the weekend. My first ever rail tour. Down to South Wales from Paddington. £150 with full catering. Now, £150 is a fair price for a 1st Return to Cardiff.

My point, however, is from a 1960's buffet, 2 First Opens (over 80 people) were all presented with a smashing Full English, and cereal, and 'hot' toast, before we reached Reading. Not to mention Coffee and fruit juice. Evening meal was first rate. Lamb and all the trimmings. All delivered, piping hot with full silver service.

If a rail tour company can do this, and at a reasonable price, why can't EC?

BTW - UK Rail Tours are fabulous and speaking with others, the catering was quite typical of the normal offering. Elaine Holt, if you're reading, find out who does the catering and get them on your trains now. Then you really will make a financial killing.

devon_metro

Established Member
A lot of the airline mob are surprised they are getting alcohol free and most are pleased with what will eventually come, some are obviously annoyed at how long it is taking but are also clearly blind to the fact that there are 1st class passengers standing in the vestibules. Tomorrow I'm taking another new step to speed things up to see how it goes! At the minute anything goes!

Blimey. East Coast/Virgin Trains must be making an absolute killing with the Scottish airports closed. Presumably nearly all the Anglo Scottish trains are rammed!?
Certainly can't be easy for the staff trying to get used to a new system with trains full of 'airline suits'!

bearteacher

F class from Doncaster to Edinburgh, departing 11:10Am
The tea/coffee and drink cart service before Newcastle.
After leaving Newcastle, the staff served the meal by the cart with two-option sandwiches, ham or cheese, and the crips and cookies too.

The photos about the details of the complimentary meal/snack service as below:

Physical menu:
DSCF3650.jpg

DSCF3651.jpg

Usual coffee/tea service:
DSCF3653.jpg

Meal cart:
DSCF3655.jpg

Two-round drink service during this trip:
DSCF3662.jpg

DSCF3669.jpg

DSCF3664.jpg

DSCF3665.jpg

The meal service:
DSCF3674.jpg

DSCF3671.jpg

DSCF3673.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

PS. English is not my first language. Please understand this.

Failed Unit

Established Member
There should have been a menu on your table telling you what the hot meal was on the page of the all day offer, u order it when the food trolley comes round and it will brought to you, it would have been veg biryani today

Did see any menus in coach m otherwise I would have asked to borrow one. Very basic thing to be missing, but no ever mentioned hot food either.

As for the loading, yes the 1500 was probably much busier than normal but these are the type of loadings I see on the 1700 everytime I use it. If it takes 1h20 to serve everyone drinks and sandwiches heaven help the 1700.

I know you don't need a volcano on your new launch, but it is cheaper than the advertising campaign they are running. They want airline passengers, they need to impress them to switch. They are not from what I have seen. I will be back next and expect bigger loadings as airspace may be open but many will take the train just in case. As for we listened to our customers, if the question was do you want more included in the ticket price the answer may be yes. They didn't listen to those that said we want decent connections from your services if you live north of Edinburgh or in Lincoln!

amcluesent

Day three in the Big Elaine Train...

On my service (07:50 from PBO) the trolley has made a welcome reappearance in FC with fruit juices and bottled water back on offer.

IMHO the 'new' coffee is too strong and needs a great slosh of milk to be palatable.

OT, the wi-fi on all EC services is now terrible. Have EC cut back on their bandwidth costs to fund the free food?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I doubt they could cut the bandwidth even if they wanted to. Maybe those people who normally fly can't get enough of the ability to get online while travelling (I know some planes have Wi-Fi, but not all and I think it costs a fortune).

Given everyone in first gets Wi-Fi free, I can imagine it being caned by the 'new' users.

To be fair, while EC should cope with the extra usage (what it wanted), it was probably expecting a more gradual rise!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Having not tried this yet I'm still not gunna judge but theres in my mind listening to customers with your hearing aid off, and really, truly listening to them. XC claimed to have listened when people said they wanted light refreshments at seat. This may very wel be true but I dont think those same customers meant they wanted to go from one end of the country to another with a trollie service found on a regional express which quickly sells out of almost everything. Back to EC, i did respond a while back saying I'd be more likely to go First if there was maybe a sarny included and perhaps a beer. i didnt expect restaurants to go however but im sure the new offer wil in many ways be better and the first month or 2 wil play a major part in seeing what shifts or not.

All Line Rover

Established Member
OK I haven't travelled with East Coast since the complimentary food was introduced, but those sandwiches above look nowhere near as good as the sandwiches Virgin serve. XC serve the same type of sandwiches - the cheapy ones! Virgin do "Beef & Mustard", "Crayfish and Rocket", etc. Do any East Coast staff know if these types of sandwiches will be offered?

If anyone isn't happy with what is being served, e-mail Elaine Holt or someone else at Head Office and complain! They seem to be very keen to have comments from customers anyway. They'll never improve unless customers tell them how to improve! :D

Don't forget - Virgin had appaling food at first on the Super Voyagers, but have steadily improved and in my opinion they are now excellent. East Coast are new at this - they'll improve eventually (I hope)!