• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

All Line Rover

Established Member
I think that London - Edinburgh would still be hourly, the services are well loaded. Others would terminate at Newcastle including XC which mainly cart around fresh air.

The last XC service I travelled on from Glasgow was well over 50% full, so they don't all seem to cart around fresh air.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

silverfoxcc

Sorry Gents,

The good lady is travelling on a Thursday on the 12.00 dep KX-Stirling 1st class, so will she need to take grub or trust the on board catering?

calc7

Established Member
Sorry Gents,

The good lady is travelling on a Thursday on the 12.00 dep KX-Stirling 1st class, so will she need to take grub or trust the on board catering?

East Coast would have you believe that you will get frequent, nourishing portions of food and that they will "spoil" you with drink offerings.

This may happen.

In all likelihood, it will not. The xx00 non-stop trains have the stingiest offerings (since apparently lack of intermediate stops justifies lack of service) - she should expect three cold drinks up to Edinburgh, hopefully more frequent hot drinks, sandwiches (could be two, three or four triangles) or if lucky some hot food, biscuits and/or crisps and a quiet coach full of bickering staff. Lovely. :D

General Zod

From what I have read the EC 1st class experience can be mixed but I was quite satisfied with my jaunt on the Highland Chieftain from London to Inverness at the beginning of March.
It was Friday and immediately after departure we were offered coffee / tea and a slice of cake. The steward also came down the carriage and took our orders for hot or cold food ; the hot option being Chicken & Mushroom pie with chip or Jacket potato with vegetarian filling; the cold option being a plate of sandwiches. Wine , beer, spirits ( whiskey, gin, vodka) + mixer or a soft drink as beverages. The pie was very good but I was disappointed with the size of the portion of chip(s). They were nice and I could have done with a lot more ! Tea and coffee offered after lunch. Alcoholic / soft drinks / coffee / tea / cake/ crisps were again offered on departure from York - at least once an hour thereafter. 'Afternoon Tea' was served on leaving Edinburgh. Sandwiches; veg or meat options but again they were cautious with the portions. Two strips ( about two fingers wide) , supplemented by crisps and cream & jam scones / cake. A second helping. was offered on leaving Perth. Scones were very nice but the chocolate & orange cake nothing exceptional.
The drinks trolley came round about once every hour / hour + half and if I had taken up the alcoholic option each time I think I would have been quite inebriated on reaching Inverness. The catering staff started packing up about an hour before arrival at Inverness.
Overall a good experience but the service was a lot more casual and informal than what you would expect for first class. I was surprised at the number of times the drinks trolley came round but was disappointed by the some of the portion sizes, especially chips and sandwiches. It was definitely worth the Advance fare price that I had paid but I'm not sure if I would have been as pleased if paying the full whack ; 1st Anytime Single £223 !

@calc :

I think I was served about four drinks up to EDB. Took the option of two alcoholic and two soft. The steward saw that I wasn't drinking alcohol so made it a point to ask me as he came round as to whether I would like a top up of orange juice or another cola.

silverfoxcc

Sorry Gents,

calc7

Established Member
Sorry Gents,

Personally I would be taking some of my own food just in case.

MarkyMarkD

It is a big shame that it is so unpredictable, because taking food "just in case" defeats the point.

This weekend travelling up and down the quantity has been quite adequate, although I personally don't like surviving on cold food (mainly sandwiches) all day long.

calc7

Established Member
It is a big shame that it is so unpredictable, because taking food "just in case" defeats the point.

And insulting when the complimentary food and drink doesn't materialise but you are reminded you can buy food and drink in the Café Bar. :-x

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just out of curiosity does anyone remember which services, before the new offer was introduced, offered at-seat dining on a weekend? Was it the longest distance ones (so trains to/from Inverness and Aberdeen) or just fairly random?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
iNV, ABD and a few of the GLC ones plus the slowest EDB Runs

So basically the runs where you'd want/need a meal if you're on them for the duration (or a long part of their runs)? I think this is probably an area where the new offer does fall down (ignoring consistency issues) on the weekend now it's perfectly possible to be on board for 5+ hours and get nothing more substantial than a couple of sandwiches.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I must admit, even on the same train the service can be variable.

I was on the 0930 London - Edinburgh today. Out of London better than expected, full breakfast, I was only expecting the bacon butty. Maybe they still had food from the inward journey.

however from Newcastle the trolley came through, one run of coffee, one run of drinks and the food then attempted to have the train cleared up by Alnmouth. I would not be impressed if I had joined at Newcastle (which is still over 1 hour away). Poor Alnmouth at 65 minutes gets nothing, not even a tea / coffee.

The other thing that was odd, they were asking passengers from York if they had had breakfast. Does that matter if you had split your ticket and got 2x APs which should get 2x meals (and would still cost a lot less than the Open first which only gets you one) ;)

Failed Unit

Established Member
not to them clearly.

Boarded the dreded Scon Express today with a Jimmy Chungs takeaway box, first thing the crew member said was dont blame you!
:)

I have always notice that service is poor as you get to the end of the route. I would certainly avoid the express if i was doing York - London and go for the stopper. As for the Newark - London, I guess it is more likely to serve Grantham than ex-Leeds.

I have noted the scone express, trip to the pub on arrival!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Actually does anyone know which trains are scone expresses as aren't there a couple southbound and a couple northbound?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm thinking the 1430 southbound might be another one and I'm sure there is at least one or two more out there *desperately tries to recall Barry Doe article that mentioned them all*.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
the 14:30 off EDB Serves nothing hot all trip. The others change service part way. Afternoon tee is offered to Inverness but hot option served too.

Think a few pax were envyous of me today as I tucked into spare wribbs and spring rolls, a combination of breakfast, lunch and dinner

CHESHIRECAT

What will I be offered on the above .. booked Coach 'M' next Friday...

And I belive I can't use lounge on First Apex?

Cheers!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
1745 Leeds-Peterborough in case anyone can't read the title.

I believe you cannot use the lounge on a First Apex.

Furrball

More inconsistancy today. Travelling from Aberdeen, no menu cards, no tomato ketchup, no sign of any newspapers and no water from the tap in the nearest toilet.

See how the rest of the jouney goes.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I'm on the 12:30 KGX to YRK next Tuesday, and the 14:01 YRK to KGX the following Tuesday. What're the menus likely to be?

I'm on the 12:30 KGX to YRK next Tuesday, and the 14:01 YRK to KGX the following Tuesday. What're the menus likely to be?

1230 will be all day menu on the week 1 rotation (assuming you mean a week tomorrow) which will be chicken and mushroom pie and chips or jacket pototo with leeks and cheese sauce or sandwiches (tuna and cheese ploughmans). Not sure if the 1401 is afternoon tea or all day menu, if it is the all day menu then it will be rotation 2 of jacket potato with chilli or cranberry and brie wellington or sandwiches, however if its afternoon tea then it will be sarnies, cake and a scone.
New menu is due Monday 28th May all been well.

Bungle73

On Moderation
1230 will be all day menu on the week 1 rotation (assuming you mean a week tomorrow) which will be chicken and mushroom pie and chips or jacket pototo with leeks and cheese sauce or sandwiches (tuna and cheese ploughmans). Not sure if the 1401 is afternoon tea or all day menu, if it is the all day menu then it will be rotation 2 of jacket potato with chilli or cranberry and brie wellington or sandwiches, however if its afternoon tea then it will be sarnies, cake and a scone.
New menu is due Monday 28th May all been well.
Sounds tasty. Thanks. Yes I meant next week.

Last time I caught the 14:01 (in September) it was the all day menu. Edit: Yes, timetable says all day menu.

I'm due to travel with EC again in June (to Newcastle) so we'll see what the new menu brings. :)

Last time I caught the 14:01 (in September) it was the all day menu. Edit: Yes, timetable says all day menu.

For some reason the timetable doesnt tell you if its an afternoon tea train. It will tell you its an all day menu even if its actually afternoon tea. Hopefully this is something which will be corrected on the menu change. However if you have been on that train before i doubt it will have changed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Any word on changes to the current rotations or is it too early to be pestering you about that ;)

Ive not seen it but ive heard second hand that the jacket pots are staying but changing to cold fillings for the summer, a couple i heard were coronation chicken and tuna mayo.