• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Furrball

Ive not seen it but ive heard second hand that the jacket pots are staying but changing to cold fillings for the summer, a couple i heard were coronation chicken and tuna mayo.

Back to taking food on the train then!! Cannot stand jacket spuds with cold filings.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
I'm going from Stevenage to Newcastle in July, on the 0630 train. Am I right in saying that this will include the morning offer, so I can get a full English breakfast?

I will be going back to Stevenage two weeks later at about 1730. What am I likely to get at that time?

Thanks.

Furrball

Is anyone able to advise of the All Day menu options for this Friday (London-Aberdeen)?

Thanks

The all day options this week are fish pie and chips, jacket spud with ratatouille or sarnies (egg with tomato and chicken + stuffing) but the timetable wont tell you which trains offer afternoon tea. Ive no idea which anglo scot trains offer afternnon tea either.

WCMLaddict

I had a great service today on my journey to York. Plenty of tea and coffee on offer and at least 3 cold drink runs. The fish pie was very good and on VT that time of a day you only get sandwiches. I was also offered some cold snacks and a sandwich just before York but quite frankly I was full. Maybe I'm just lucky but every time I travel on East Coast First Class service is great.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The all day options this week are fish pie and chips, jacket spud with ratatouille or sarnies (egg with tomato and chicken + stuffing) but the timetable wont tell you which trains offer afternoon tea. Ive no idea which anglo scot trains offer afternnon tea either.

I had a great service today on my journey to York. Plenty of tea and coffee on offer and at least 3 cold drink runs. The fish pie was very good and on VT that time of a day you only get sandwiches. I was also offered some cold snacks and a sandwich just before York but quite frankly I was full. Maybe I'm just lucky but every time I travel on East Coast First Class service is great.

I think the menu sounds quite good this week. It's good to hear positive thigns about the service but clearly there's still room for improvement in letting passengers know what they can actually expect.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I Do wonder, as the 1st class meal service on EC does seem rather hit and miss, although the above few comments do seem to indicate things may be getting better at last, perhaps they should revert to how it used to be, IE free tea & coffee, snacks then after 1100 wine/beer etc. Then offer the at seat dining which was quite good, they used to have breakfast rolls, toasties, a curry & veggie option, plus sandwiches all were very good and the prices were fair too. Maybe having it the way they do now puts too much strain on the staff.

Nym

Established Member

I'm sorry, how many chips???

That honestly looks pathetic compared to what I'd normally eat. (Although more than I got in 1st on VT, 4 bits of lamb two potatoes and two baby carrots with a bread roll) but the food didn't interest me as much as the free wine, and I was frankly too knackered to care.

But really, eight chips? What's this world coming to if they thing they can run through Yorkshire and Newcastle, and onto Scotland and only provide a few chips!

WCMLaddict

Haha, I have probably eaten few before the picture to be honest :)
I've never ever been given a "restaurant" portion on a train so comparing to other offerings that was more than enough. Especially as we were given option to top it up with cold snacks and sandwiches.
Also as said, it was midday and it was a hot meal that VT doesn't offer at that time of a day. Lots of wine and beer if you wished :)

Bungle73

On Moderation
I'm sorry, how many chips???

That honestly looks pathetic compared to what I'd normally eat. (Although more than I got in 1st on VT, 4 bits of lamb two potatoes and two baby carrots with a bread roll) but the food didn't interest me as much as the free wine, and I was frankly too knackered to care.

But really, eight chips? What's this world coming to if they thing they can run through Yorkshire and Newcastle, and onto Scotland and only provide a few chips!

Looks plenty to me. You say "only" eight (I count 9, and that's without the ones one can't see), but they are great big fat ones.

Furrball

Bit of fun in 1st class on the 10:00 Kgx-Abd as coach M is missing. All passengers with reservations in M placed in G

Failed Unit

Established Member
Bit of fun in 1st class on the 10:00 Kgx-Abd as coach M is missing. All passengers with reservations in M placed in G

G - standard class. I predict I riot. But knowing the service I suspect L and J are full as well.

I hope if that ever happened when I was travelling I would have the option of travelling on the next service even if I had an AP.

I mean people will miss the 2x Sandwiches ;)

Surprised they couldn't borrow a HST from another service, isn't the 1008 a HSt?

Furrball

Yup, the train is very full and there are unhappy campers in G! They are apparently receiving food and drink though.

Only just realised that once again no menus on the table and not one mention of hot food (again).

marks87

Established Member
I'm guessing that the 1816 ABD-LDS will also be missing coach M, although that's probably not as big a deal as a London service.

Well, I must say my first experience of travelling first class with east coast was a Very good one:D. I travelled yesterday on the 10.30 from kings cross to york. Within 5 mins of leaving London everyone was offered tea and coffee and shortly after the cold drinks trolley came round. Within half an hour food orders were taken, with the full menu on offer, but opted for the chicken and stuffing sandwiches as nothing else took my fancy. The sandwiches were nice and fresh, served alongside a nice piece of cake and a packet of crisps. After each stop the drinks were once again offered and ended up having a few ciders on the way ;). The staff were also very friendly and helpful, who I would assume are a Newcastle based crew.

My only gripe really, was the dirty windows and that's being picky. The booked mallard set was replaced with a hst which was an old east midlands trains set.

All in all, a fantastic journey especially as this was cheaper than travelling standard class :D.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
On second count I can see 11, but the're still frozen chips, and there still aren't enough of them.
There were simply no chips on board last night to accompany the portions of pie.
I had the ratatoulle and potato, which was fine (then a full meal on getting home).
Power sockets weren't working, which is not uncommon.

The staff were also very friendly and helpful, who I would assume are a Newcastle based crew.
This is, in general, my experience - just one big and cheerful family.

As an aside (and I am referring to a Friday night), it was interesting to see how many passengers with Standard Class tickets were wanting to sit in First and buy a 'Weekend First' upgrade, assuming wrongly that the weekend begins on Friday night.

As an aside (and I am referring to a Friday night), it was interesting to see how many passengers with Standard Class tickets were wanting to sit in First and buy a 'Weekend First' upgrade, assuming wrongly that the weekend begins on Friday night.

Not sure where this assumtion would come from, would they sit in first on the Monday morning peak with 25 quid at the ready? I doubt it.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I don't believe there is any published material which might have led to that assumption, just a general tendency for some people to enter 'weekend mode' as soon as they leave their weekday routine. But as I did observe a few people boarding at KGX (and travelling quite independently) asking the CSAs about Weekend First, it seems worth making the remark - its always interesting to learn what consumers 'think' is available when planning a service. I don't recall seeing more than the odd one or two making such a request on previous Friday evenings.

philjo

Established Member
Maybe as the EC "Weekender" tickets are valid for outward travel on Fridays they thought they could get the Weekend 1st upgrade.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
That's a good point.
Its something that the Comapny could consider. I'm sure there would be an apporprate level of surcharge that could capitalise on that (mis)perception to the mutual advantage of the Company's revenue from passengers willing to pay, and those Passengers' satisfaction from a service and capacity which the Company has already (mostly) supplied and made available on-board.
No, maybe £25 is unreasonably cheap for the service actually offered in First on a Friday departing at 8pm, but there probably is a figure which could work.

My return journey experience with east coast is very similar to my outward journey, on the 17:30 from York to kings cross which is currently 30 minutes late. I'll do a more detailed write up later.

calc7

Established Member
Any regular travellers got any updates on the food/drink provisions on the KGX-EDB fasts (xx00 from KGX, xx30 from EDB)?