• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

MichaelJP59

It does seem to have got worse in the last six months. Perhaps there's a downturn in staff morale with the franchise decision coming up and associated uncertainty.

I mainly go FC just for the extra table space for working, but you do tend to be made to feel that the staff are doing you a favour by serving you.

Big improvement this morning, got very attentive service and a full English breakfast!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ebore

Looking at the new timetable it seems that the introduction of the evening meal on the 19:00 is indeed at the expense of the 20:00.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Looking at the new timetable it seems that the introduction of the evening meal on the 19:00 is indeed at the expense of the 20:00.
In that case I'm boycotting 1st.

The 19:00 is far too early for a proper day out in London. This train is also exceedingly busy!

ModernRailways

Established Member
The 1819 is a Newcastle service ;)

Is it? I always thought the Newcastle services were on the half hour for stoppers and on the hour for the fasts.

That's an incredible shame, I know a lot of City workers preferred the 2000 because it wasn't absolutely rammed and was a lot more relaxed.

I almost always get the 2000 for the simple fact that it gives me plenty of time in London and is a fast Newcastle terminator so gets me back in time for the last Metro.

EDIT* East Coast have just confirmed it when I asked on Twitter. No more evening meal on the 2000. All-day menu to be served.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it? I always thought the Newcastle services were on the half hour for stoppers and on the hour for the fasts.

Seeing as I got it on Tuesday and it definitely went to Newcastle then I'm going t go with it being a service to Newcastle ;)

The reason for it being at an odd time is that it's a peak time extra which runs Monday - Friday only otherwise the pattern is as you've described.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Their Twitter team have got confused. The 1900 is to remain All-Day, and the 2000 to remain Evening meal. Or maybe not, we're all confused now :p

Seeing as I got it on Tuesday and it definitely went to Newcastle then I'm going t go with it being a service to Newcastle ;)

The reason for it being at an odd time is that it's a peak time extra which runs Monday - Friday only otherwise the pattern is as you've described.

Ah! That would explain it then :p I never even knew there were additional peak services :oops:

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I've only ever used the 1700, 1730, 1800, 1900, and 2000 out of Cross on an evening as they are the Newcastle services . . . .
As stated, the 18:19 is a Newcastle stopper.
The crews on the 19:00 and 18:19 alternate every fortnight.
I've been on the 1900 twice and both times it was terrible - on one occasion we didn't even get any food, but . . . . .
That seems an astonishing coincidence. As stated, it is my preferred service, and has been for many years - I'm personally well aquainted with some of their crew, and the worse 'failure' in recent times that I can recall was a lack of salad dressing.

ThePannier

I was in First Class on an East Coast service back up from King's Cross on Thursday evening. I was impressed to say the least - didn't feel as loud and crowded as in Standard Class, and it was relatively peaceful.

I was only on as far as York though, but I would most certainly try it again!

Marton

I was in First Class on an East Coast service back up from King's Cross on Thursday evening. I was impressed to say the least - didn't feel as loud and crowded as in Standard Class, and it was relatively peaceful.

I was only on as far as York though, but I would most certainly try it again!

Which service?

Butts

Veteran Member
I was on the 1721 from Haymarket to York on Friday Evening.

Although I had booked a "Single Seat" it was one the oldie type trains (came from Aberdeen) so I ended up on a "two" until Newcastle when I hotfooted to an adjacent "four" to myself which became free.

Had the lasagne - usual kiddies portion but not bad ex Edinburgh plus a Scotch some crisps and a nice bit of cake.

Further service ex Newcastle when I had another Scotch Coffee and bit of cake.

Came back on the delayed 1954 from York to Edinburgh (stopping at all stations :cry:) tonight (Saturday).

Sampled the Bacon and Chicken Sandwiches ex York along with crisps and cake.

Ex Newcastle had a "repeat run" substituting the Cheese sandwiches along with Coffee , Coke and Cake.

One point to note - can East Coast switch to the same crisp supplier as Virgin whose packets are bigger and much tastier :p

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was on the 1721 from Haymarket to York on Friday Evening.

Although I had booked a "Single Seat" it was one the oldie type trains (came from Aberdeen) so I ended up on a "two" until Newcastle when I hotfooted to an adjacent "four" to myself which became free.
The train will have been diagrammed HST, and it will have been operated by HST. Therefore the seating shouldn't normally have changed. Presumably you used "View your seat" to verify it was an individual seat? What seat number was it?

Therefore, I can only assume by your comments that you mean it was an un-refurbished coach in the layout of another operator e.g. EMT?

I've not seen the ex-EMT set for months, I'd forgotten about it to be honest. Presumably it's still around then?
Had the lasagne - usual kiddies portion but not bad ex Edinburgh plus a Scotch some crisps and a nice bit of cake.

Further service ex Newcastle when I had another Scotch Coffee and bit of cake.

Came back on the delayed 1954 from York to Edinburgh (stopping at all stations :cry:) tonight (Saturday).
You should have said! You're near the top of my 'forum members you want to meet' list :lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
The train will have been diagrammed HST, and it will have been operated by HST. Therefore the seating shouldn't normally have changed. Presumably you used "View your seat" to verify it was an individual seat? What seat number was it?

Therefore, I can only assume by your comments that you mean it was an un-refurbished coach in the layout of another operator e.g. EMT?

I've not seen the ex-EMT set for months, I'd forgotten about it to be honest. Presumably it's still around then?
You should have said! You're near the top of my 'forum members you want to meet' list :lol:

I booked seat J3 which according to the "View your seat" was an individual berth. As you mentioned it may well have been the old EMT HST (blue seats).

I am aware I'm on your "Most Wanted" List - I've got the infractions to prove it :p - "near the top...." I am in the stratosphere or a cloud of B&H smoke :idea:

MichaelJP59

Big improvement this morning, got very attentive service and a full English breakfast!

Back to normal today after Friday's full English, waited 20 minutes before having to ask for a cup of tea. Ended up having a banana and two Oat Crunch biscuits. Only got those by getting up and fetching them off the trolley myself as the crew were too busy tidying up to serve anyone (probably so they can have a sit-down at Leeds before the return service).

Incidentally I'm not actually entitled to any food from Retford-Leeds, but depending on the crew, can usually get something.

CKiltie

I will be travelling on the 17:00 from KGX to York soon. Can that be quite busy in First Class or because of the fact that the first stop is York mean that is normally not so bad as the other services leaving after that all mostly seem to go to Peterborough as well?
Craig

Marton

Don't often use it, but when I do it's busy but not rammed.

Should be able to get a seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee_Again

I will be travelling on the 17:00 from KGX to York soon. Can that be quite busy in First Class or because of the fact that the first stop is York mean that is normally not so bad as the other services leaving after that all mostly seem to go to Peterborough as well?
Craig

Monday to Thursday quite busy but you should get a seat. Friday will be a lighter load (normally).

If there are problems it will be rammed in FC and SC.

dcsprior

Craig

This is my regular train on a Thursday. Its normally quite busy - its not uncommon for there to be no unreserved seats that aren't occupied, but if you don't have a reservation.

I've not known them to run out of food for a long time, but I normally sit in coach L (one of the benefits of which is that I'm not last in line for food service regardless of which end they start from).

Looking at the next three days, there are seats available to reserve on the 17:00 each day - though no tables of 1 left on any of these 3 days.

MichaelJP59

Back to normal today after Friday's full English, waited 20 minutes before having to ask for a cup of tea. Ended up having a banana and two Oat Crunch biscuits. Only got those by getting up and fetching them off the trolley myself as the crew were too busy tidying up to serve anyone (probably so they can have a sit-down at Leeds before the return service).

Incidentally I'm not actually entitled to any food from Retford-Leeds, but depending on the crew, can usually get something.

Two more days on the Retford-Leeds FC commute then working in London.

Today was not so good. 0730 from Retford was cancelled (crew issues) so got the 0753 to Newcastle and changed at Doncaster onto the 0813 to Leeds (which doesn't stop at Retford). A cup of tea was offered but nothing else, not even a sign of any other crew for the 30 minutes from Doncaster to Leeds.

Not too bothered, but picked a banana off the underemployed trolley on my way off the train at Leeds. Then had a run-in with the same surly employee that had told me off last week for taking a mini-bag of crisps! She told me I should have asked, I told her that she should have asked me on the journey if I wanted anything! If I hadn't been late for work I would have engaged in a proper "discussion" but had to leave it. Her attitude was appalling, she wouldn't even look me in the eye as she muttered her complaints to no-one in particular.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Currently on the 1830 NCL-KGX and what a complete joke of a service.

No hot food, cold drinks were offered at 1910.

Hot food though is going past us...

London crew too it seems.

I went first class expecting to have a decent meal as I've been busy for the whole day and only managed to grab a quick sandwich from Subway for lunch, to say I'm not happy would be an understatement since all we've been offered are the egg sandwiches.

Last edited:

Marton

I too often travel south at the end of a long day and it is the absence of decent food which gets me about the new service.

1830 ex Newcastle isn't one I use these days, more often 1830 from York, a slow one, but the stops mean more runs through

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . .

No hot food, . . . .

I went first class expecting to have a decent meal . . . . .
Er, this is a Saturday.

There has never been hot food on the 'complimentary offer' at weekends.

At weekends, passengers CAN buy a limited range of hot snacks over the counter from the buffet (and it is not common for kindly crew to deliver these to your seat when it's ready).

CC 72100

Established Member
Er, this is a Saturday.

There has never been hot food on the 'complimentary offer' at weekends.

At weekends, passengers CAN buy a limited range of hot snacks over the counter from the buffet (and it is not common for kindly crew to deliver these to your seat when it's ready).

But it's a Friday....... ?

Chrism20

Established Member
Currently on the 1830 NCL-KGX and what a complete joke of a service.

No hot food, cold drinks were offered at 1910.

Hot food though is going past us...

London crew too it seems.

I went first class expecting to have a decent meal as I've been busy for the whole day and only managed to grab a quick sandwich from Subway for lunch, to say I'm not happy would be an understatement since all we've been offered are the egg sandwiches.

That's the 1700 from EDB. I've been on that one about a dozen times this year from EDB and it's usually around 80% full in first. Prone to running short of stuff and if you are in M on the first run of the drinks trolley it's usually bare and they need to restock it before it runs through M. It's not unusual for them to still be serving the hot food from EDB as we are leaving Alnmouth.

IIRC it's an EDB crew as far as NCL with most of the EDB getting off and KGX crew getting on.

The next one is worse usually. It's the 1452 from ABD/1731 from EDB and I'm sure 1906 NCL. If there was ever a service that really needed three FC carriages it's that one.

Butts

Veteran Member
That's the 1700 from EDB. I've been on that one about a dozen times this year from EDB and it's usually around 80% full in first. Prone to running short of stuff and if you are in M on the first run of the drinks trolley it's usually bare and they need to restock it before it runs through M. It's not unusual for them to still be serving the hot food from EDB as we are leaving Alnmouth.

IIRC it's an EDB crew as far as NCL with most of the EDB getting off and KGX crew getting on.

The next one is worse usually. It's the 1452 from ABD/1731 from EDB and I'm sure 1906 NCL. If there was ever a service that really needed three FC carriages it's that one.

I was on that last week and the service was not that bad (relatively speaking)

Never sit in Coach M unless you are trying to blag a breakfast on a short run.

Starmill

Veteran Member
East Coast Customer Relations said:
We understand that our 1st Class customers have paid a premium to travel in comfort on our services and as such we realise the importance of offering a high level of service consistently. Unfortunately there are occasions when we cannot offer the full complimentary catering service and we know that this is disappointing for our customers. Problems with the supply of stock to the train or unexpected staff shortages may mean that we are unable to offer the 1st Class complimentary catering service in full, if at all.

I understand that you were looking forward to enjoying the catering on your journey and it’s disappointing for everyone when we cannot deliver the expected service. The catering provided in 1st Class is complimentary and offered subject to availability.

A very poor response in my opinion. I'm less likely to choose First next time because of it. I know for a fact that stock shortage wasn't the issue, and nor were staff numbers - just their attitude!

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
A very poor response in my opinion. I'm less likely to choose First next time because of it. I know for a fact that stock shortage wasn't the issue, and nor were staff numbers - just their attitude!

Seems similar to my experience on Friday!

Butts

Veteran Member
Is the East Coast online Directors Forum Q&A still running periodically ? - Have not heard it mentioned for a while. It was a platform for catering gripes :lol: