• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Having not been in it for a couple of years how does it compare to EUS ?
Euston had more stuff but was a lot busier (perhaps the two are linked!) meaning that for somewhere to wait I find Kings Cross preferable. If you're just looking to load up on freebies Euston is better. That being said the Kings Cross lounge is pretty dire. Bottled water, coffee machine, tea bags and crisps. Might have been some biscuits. I'm not expecting a buffet lunch but how about a can of Pepsi? Or some orange juice? It used to have those before Covid!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Euston had more stuff but was a lot busier (perhaps the two are linked!) meaning that for somewhere to wait I find Kings Cross preferable. If you're just looking to load up on freebies Euston is better. That being said the Kings Cross lounge is pretty dire. Bottled water, coffee machine, tea bags and crisps. Might have been some biscuits. I'm not expecting a buffet lunch but how about a can of Pepsi? Or some orange juice? It used to have those before Covid!
You never seem to get nice orange juice on the railway though, I've found. It's sour and watery. I'm not expecting freshly-squeezed, but a nice glass of Tropicana wouldn't go amiss instead of whatever cheap stuff they serve on both Avanti and LNER.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I've always preferred the KGX lounge to EUS. It seems more cosy.

Sorry, I commented on that (dire for breakfast unless you're going to a conference in Harrogate) but managed to delete the text.

The lounge at KGX wasn't much cop either last time I was there (in the summer), but it has never been brilliant.

Northbound is the only way, realistically, I can have it. The one train that has it that stops at where I want to go (York) is far too early for me to catch. I've been thinking I might forgo the train breakfast entirely on my next early morning trip (likely December again), and just have a breakfast in the Wetherspoon pub in St. Pancras. Apparently, it opens at 6:30 am, and is literally just at the bottom of the escalators when I come off the train from home, which is handy. More choice too.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've always preferred the KGX lounge to EUS. It seems more cosy.
Yes I would definitely agree with that, I've always found the ambiance and furnishings in Kings Cross nicer than Euston which is why as a space to wait I much prefer it. But I know that some members are more interested in getting as much food and drink for their money as possible in which case Euston is the better bet!

Sealink

This was the food I had from Inverness to Kings Cross on LNER. I was really impressed.

LNER Breakfast.jpg
Toast would have been nice :)

LNER Lunch.jpg
Roast chicken with roast potatoes, wilted greens with a sherry and shallot sauce.

LNER Pudding.jpg
Date and sticky toffee pudding with salted caramel sauce.

Sealink

And the service was excellent. I am sure they are feeders, the Newcastle crew- were offering everyone the pudding, even those who'd had one. In a moment of self discipline I declined.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
And the service was excellent. I am sure they are feeders, the Newcastle crew- were offering everyone the pudding, even those who'd had one. In a moment of self discipline I declined.
Looks really good. Thanks for sharing and great to see some positive reports in the thread!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This was the food I had from Inverness to Kings Cross on LNER. I was really impressed.

View attachment 127779

View attachment 127780
Roast chicken with roast potatoes, wilted greens with a sherry and shallot sauce.

View attachment 127782
I’ve always felt LNER do a naff breakfast compared to Avanti, but that main course and dessert looks wonderful. It would be so good if that standard was upheld consistently.

lxfe_mxtterz

View attachment 127779

View attachment 127780

View attachment 127782
That looks fantastic! Was that the "Dine" menu by any chance? Last time I travelled it was with the "Dish" menu and the food was very nice, although I don't remember the food being that nice (or quite as sizable).

westv

Established Member
That looks fantastic! Was that the "Dine" menu by any chance? Last time I travelled it was with the "Dish" menu and the food was very nice, although I don't remember the food being that nice (or quite as sizable).
Dish is a sort of poor man's version of Dine.

Sealink

I’ve always felt LNER do a naff breakfast compared to Avanti, but that main course and dessert looks wonderful. It would be so good if that standard was upheld consistently.
It was Dine. Although when I got on the train they issued the Dish menu to my disappointment, but hastily corrected that!

Sealink

It felt like restaurant quality food.

And tasted like it as well.

Stathern Jc

View attachment 127779
I'm on the "Chieftain" on Monday. So looking forward to the breakfast.
(Service reductions due to Staff shortages permitting).

My recollection is that the 0755 Inverness to KX used to be "Dine" to Edinburgh and "Dish" beyond.
Sealink's post suggests there is an improvement here, or have I got that wrong?

Veteran Member

My recollection is that the 0755 Inverness to KX used to be "Dine" to Edinburgh and "Dish" beyond.
The service is listed on the current (Sept) PDF as Dine throughout.

Sealink

Its DINE through out, although they handed out DISH menus on boarding and quickly changed it.

Sealink

When booking on the LNER, clicking on "Journey Info" tells if it's DELI, DISH or DINE. Although the PDF document is probably an easier to view.

Veteran Member
So as Wednesday marks the start of a new month and the end of January, are we going to see a menu change
Well, it will soon be Lent (a slightly older institution) so I suggest one with no meat, chocolate or alcohol - and fish on Fridays :)

Coat already on.

Stathern Jc

Was on the 0755 from Inverness yesterday morning to Edinburgh.
More of a comment on the service here rather than the menu, though having the breakfast and then the hot sausage roll on the way back in the evening I didn't feel restricted by Veganuary.

Was hardly out of the platform (just passing the Morrisons car park) when the orange juice was served, never had anything that quick before.
The hot drinks trolley passed for the first of several visits just after the Culloden viaduct, and then to my surprise the breakfast arrived before we had passed the site of the old Daviot Station. My well thumbed Ian Allan book of Gradient Profiles shows that as being just 11 miles out of Inverness.

I was well impressed. And well looked after on the return journey as well.
The Inverness catering team did a great job, and very cheerful too.
When we got back in the evening I stuck my head into Coach M to thank them for their service.
It's easy for these threads to attract grumbles, but I was a very satisfied customer. Excellent!

Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Whilst I haven't been to Inverness for several years, I can certainly vouch for their catering crew in First Class on LNER. I've always found them to be very friendly, helpful and efficient.

westv

Established Member
Just had a look prior to my journey to Edinburgh next Monday and the 'Dish' menu has the addition of a rather tempting-looking chickpea, spinach and sweet potato curry. :)
Isn't that what's been on there all January. Would prefer a bit of meat myself but hope you enjoy.

westv

Established Member
Also on the subject of the menus, as my usual 17:18 from KX to Hull is only 1 of 2 services out of 10 from 17:00 to 18:30 weekday that aren't good enough for Dine, when I next go down to London I might consider getting the 17:33 to Harrogate (which does have Dine) but with a change at Doncaster.