• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest DMU consists ever in regular service

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
<pedant alert> Not preselector gearboxes, semi-automatic as in Leyland/AEC buses of the period </pedant alert>
Apologies, I thought I'd read they were called pre-selector. On reflection, that doesn't really make sense, because they don't work like that.

Well there may have been a lot of first class seats in the 79xxx sets, but that doesn't necessarily mean there was a lot of demand. I never knew them on Glasgow-Edinburgh, but their replacements, the 2x27 push-pull sets, by the early 1970s had one full first class coach out of six (5.5 actually), and the normal load in it was - zero. About the only exception was Scotrail management staff travelling to/fro on free passes. In the Scottish business world it was considered ludicrously spendthrift to go first class. I honestly wonder how it escaped Beeching that, on internal Scottish trains at least, the first class provision normally ran back and forth as empty stock with zero revenue. Possibly those who had to present the figures had those passes ...
The Railcar website page on the 79xxx makes mention of First Class patronage being high with a greater than average ratio of First Class to Second travellers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
Apologies, I thought I'd read they were called pre-selector. On reflection, that doesn't really make sense, because they don't work like that.
We probably need to be corrected by one of the knowledgeable people from the Bus page, but as I understand it the gearbox mechanics were the same, no clutch, and made/patented by the same company. It was just that with preselector you select the next gear in advance (hence the name), then it actually makes the change only when you press a pedal where a clutch might normally be. On the semi-automatic the selection and physical change happen together when you move the lever. On dmus, and buses, the physical gear shifting is done by electrically signalled air valves, hence the little hiss you hear when doing so (and old buses of the era made the same sounds). 1930s sports cars had preselectors so you could change down, with the pedal, going round a bend without taking your hands off the steering wheel, necessary in pre-power steering days - but obviously not for trains.

The Railcar website page on the 79xxx makes mention of First Class patronage being high with a greater than average ratio of First Class to Second travellers.
I know, I've seen that too. I wonder, either where did that patronage suddenly go, or it was for some reason misrepresented in returns of revenue. I am aware that the Beeching figures suffered from poor averaging, overall revenue just being divided by the number of carriages provided per day to give a revenue per carriage figure, without any further breakdown.

Last edited:

wandacat

Depending on what you mean by regular service, my fading memory seems to recall regular 12car Tyseley DMUs on Blackpool illuminations specials through Wigan in the early/mid 1980s

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Well there may have been a lot of first class seats in the 79xxx sets, but that doesn't necessarily mean there was a lot of demand. I never knew them on Glasgow-Edinburgh, but their replacements, the 2x27 push-pull sets, by the early 1970s had one full first class coach out of six (5.5 actually), and the normal load in it was - zero. About the only exception was Scotrail management staff travelling to/fro on free passes. In the Scottish business world it was considered ludicrously spendthrift to go first class. I honestly wonder how it escaped Beeching that, on internal Scottish trains at least, the first class provision normally ran back and forth as empty stock with zero revenue. Possibly those who had to present the figures had those passes ...
Bear in mind although in the 70s the 1st class threshold was at MS1, most HQ and Area staff were Clerical and Supervisory grades rather than Managers and I suspect likewise in the engineering disciplines so the majority of staff ravelling on passes would be in 2nd class. As privatisation approached and took hold many more positions became graded as managers but at the same time the threshold for 1st class travel rose up to MS2, MS3 etc.

My father used to occasionally travel on business from Glasgow to Edinburgh (and elsewhere) and his employer provided him with (or re-imbursed him the cost of) First Class travel. On one occasion as a teenager in the push pull era he took me with him for a treat in first class (my fare not paid by the firm) and I was disappointed but not surprised we did not have sole use of the first class compartment.

In the same era when footballers commuted for training by train certainly those from higher profile better paying clubs also travelled first class each day e.g. the Rangers captain John Greig and some team mates travelled daily from Edinburgh.

The decline in the requirement for 1st class accommodation was evidenced by the conversion of the MK3 FOs to COs providing just 24 1st class seats.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The decline in the requirement for 1st class accommodation was evidenced by the conversion of the MK3 FOs to COs providing just 24 1st class seats.
As far as I understand was not done because of declining First Class travel but because the sets were being reduced to five coaches, and by converting the FO to CO it gave additional 2nd Class seats while leaving a reasonable portion of 1st. This was part of a plan in 1985/6 to further accelerate the E&G timings, for which a test run with a five coach set was made in 1985 and almost broke the 35 min barrier.

If you look at photos in 1986, you'll notice the Mk3 push-pull sets tend to be five coaches. By 1987 they are back to six mostly.

As it was, the plan came to naught and instead more stops were added in 1986.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Other, longer, workings in the area were the return serviced two car sets from Newton Heath to Preston to be split there to work the local services during the day. I suppose every engine and axle light illuminated on the driver's panel would be the limit. Not sure how many units that equates to.
It won't win any prizes on this thread, but in similar vein, during the 1970s there was a DMU around 19:00 or 19:30 each evening from Southport to Manchester Victoria which regularly ran as 7, 8 or sometimes 9 cars.

This wasn't a "bucket & spade buster" - rather it was a lash-up of several afternoon peak Manchester to Southport trains returning to Newtown or Cheetham Hill carriage sidings, which ran in public service to Man Vic. As in @furnessvale's case, probably all 6 sets of lights illuminated on the driver's panel - given the propensity for deploying D3 Power Twin units around the Manchester area.

The front couple of units were kept locked - passengers having to use just the rear-most unit where the guard would be travelling.

For a time I was a regular user of this train. The first time I caught it, it was quite disconcerting to be waiting on the platform and seeing the lengthy train seeming to sweep through my local station as if it wasn't stopping, before pulling up with the rear cars positioned at the normal passenger boarding area.

Most annoyingly to me, you would probably have two (relatively) comfortable Class 104 "White Stripe" units locked up and in darkness, whilst everyone was forced to travel in a rattling, vibrating 2-car Cravens 105 at the back.

furnessvale

Established Member
Most annoyingly to me, you would probably have two (relatively) comfortable Class 104 "White Stripe" units locked up and in darkness, whilst everyone was forced to travel in a rattling, vibrating 2-car Cravens 105 at the back.
Not going to let you Wiganers loose in decent stock..........all that pie gravy dribbling on the floor......perish the thought!:D

Bevan Price

Established Member
In the early years of dmu operation, 9 coach formations (3 x Class 104) regularly appeared at busy times on Manchester / Blackpool services. They were certainly the most comfortable "suburban"-type dmus of that era. Was it bodywork or asbestos problems that was responsible for rtheir relatively short lives (compared to Class 101) ?

Taunton

Established Member
I can recall travelling in a couple of 9-car formations. One was Glasgow to Ayr on Swindon cross-country sets, with the back three cars locked off. The other was the first Motor Show at the NEC, possibly the greatest attendance for one and extensively publicised, for which a high density shuttle was run from New Street. Having gone outwards on the shuttle in an 8-car 304 emu formation, unusual in itself for them to be multipled, the return was a 9-car lash-up of three Tyseley 116 suburban dmus, all very much in use.

RichJF

Aye, I think it was standard practice up until the line was electrified. They were still by some margin the longest regularly scheduled D(E)MU workings of their time though.

Another set at West St Leonards in 12 car formation!

I can't find any pictures or links, however during one of the Evergreen Chiltern blockades around 2002, a Chiltern unit was hooked into a First Great Western Link double unit and ran as a 9 coach every night from Paddington to Oxford/Banbury, the Chiltern unit then detaching and running on. Got a few times from Reading to Cholsey.

Taunton

Established Member
Not the most cars, but the most units, in the earlier days of dieselisation in the North-West, there were several services which ran to four 2-car units run together as 8-car sets. Manchester to Blackpool was one, as was the North Wales coast line. Steadily over time the formations were reduced.

I agree that it seems that the 15 coach Voyagers were probably the longest dmu formations run in post-BR times. Strictly demus of course.

I always thought that 12 cars was the maximum possible length of combinations of conventional, vacuum braked dmus.

But, in Paul Chancellor's RCTS book "Western Change" (published in 1995) there's a report on page 23 that on Saturday 27 July 1963, the morning Cardiff - Kingswear ran from Cardiff to Bristol TM as a fifteen coach DMU, continuing thence to Kingswear with twelve cars (recorded in Table Four on page 35 as passing Taunton at 10.45, train 231, 1C63). So that Cardiff to Bristol movement may be a record!

Taunton

Established Member
I agree that it seems that the 15 coach Voyagers were probably the longest dmu formations run in post-BR times. Strictly demus of course.

I always thought that 12 cars was the maximum possible length of combinations of conventional, vacuum braked dmus.

But, in Paul Chancellor's RCTS book "Western Change" (published in 1995) there's a report on page 23 that on Saturday 27 July 1963, the morning Cardiff - Kingswear ran from Cardiff to Bristol TM as a fifteen coach DMU, continuing thence to Kingswear with twelve cars (recorded in Table Four on page 35 as passing Taunton at 10.45, train 231, 1C63). So that Cardiff to Bristol movement may be a record!
I find this a little unlikely. We actually saw this train passing Taunton that year (various posts by me here, passim), growling slowly (it was slow, and did growl, westbound out of Taunton) it was an 8-coach Swindon Inter-City Class 124 formation that year (later changed to Hymek hauled stock). Now they might have tagged on a 3-car Class 120 on a key summer Saturday, getting up to 11 cars (though we never saw such). 15 cars, down to 12, implies five 3-car units, which I think is beyond the capabilities of the Walker Bros multiple unit control panel, the blue lights to the left of the dmu driver.

Ken H

On Moderation
I find this a little unlikely. We actually saw this train passing Taunton that year (various posts by me here, passim), growling slowly (it was slow, and did growl, westbound out of Taunton) it was an 8-coach Swindon Inter-City Class 124 formation that year (later changed to Hymek hauled stock). Now they might have tagged on a 3-car Class 120 on a key summer Saturday, getting up to 11 cars (though we never saw such). 15 cars, down to 12, implies five 3-car units, which I think is beyond the capabilities of the Walker Bros multiple unit control panel, the blue lights to the left of the dmu driver.
Unless the back unit was dragged. Dont connect the jumpers, just the vacuum brake hoses.

randyrippley

Established Member
Unless it was 12 cars plus a three coach tail load. Though dragging three, even if they were old lightweight GWR stock, sounds unlikely.

Taunton

Established Member
Unless it was 12 cars plus a three coach tail load. Though dragging three, even if they were old lightweight GWR stock, sounds unlikely.
The 124s were slow enough getting going westbound from Taunton on the flat. They were heavyweight cars and unlike the Trans-Pennines only half the cars were powered. Goodness knows what speed they were down to over Whiteball. I think tail traffic would not be permitted.

delt1c

Established Member
3 car 120’s hauled fish vans on the Inverness Aberdeen. Then based on this 4 3 car 120’s could haul 3 unpowered coaches

Ianigsy

There are a few photos of Filey Holiday Camp station showing consists of 8 vehicles or more - I think running low density DMU sets with two unpowered trailers was a particularly North Eastern thing although one shows a Class 101 trailer inserted into a Class 110 set.

Taunton

Established Member
There are a few photos of Filey Holiday Camp station showing consists of 8 vehicles or more - I think running low density DMU sets with two unpowered trailers was a particularly North Eastern thing although one shows a Class 101 trailer inserted into a Class 110 set.
You are right that 4-car sets, certainly at order/delivery, seemed to be an NER thing, with the guard's compartment in the intermediate trailer; the LMR more favoured joining up 2-car units for the same length, while the WR went for 3-car sets. It ensured it was always first class at both ends with the view. Some of them later moved on, I recall one in the Scottish Region in the 1970s.

The television clip in the 1980s "To the Manor Born" series which several here have seen, filmed at Maiden Newton on the Weymouth line, strangely features another of these oddballs (for the locality), an originally 4-car Met-Cam which had recently been transferred to Bristol, cut down to a 3-car by omitting one trailer, but still with the intermediate guards' position and the first class at both ends, which the production made use of so may have been specially requested from the Bristol St Philips Marsh foreman.

Marylebone can only accommodate 10 cars, so it’s highly unlikely. There have been 12 car ECS movements between depots.
Yes, there has been a 12-car formation, but only as an ECS movement. Notably this was the case when services operated into/out of Birmingham New Street. As you rightly point out Marylebone can only accommodate 10 cars, although Platform 4 used to be 11 prior to the construction of Platforms 5 & 6. The other platforms are even more restrictive, so as can be appreciated will restrict passenger services under standard operating conditions.

MadMac

Not the most cars, but the most units, in the earlier days of dieselisation in the North-West, there were several services which ran to four 2-car units run together as 8-car sets. Manchester to Blackpool was one, as was the North Wales coast line. Steadily over time the formations were reduced.
This just brought something to mind. In mid-2000, eight 101 power cars ran under their own power from Corkerhill to Longsight (reversing in Glasgow Central). We've already determined that there were only enough indicators in the cab for six power cars, so how was this done? A similar move took place a week later with the cars hauled by a 37 - something sticks in my mind about the first move being stopped somewhere due to the fire bells ringing.

Status
Not open for further replies.