• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest English Station Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I remember many moons ago that the longest English station name used to be CARLTON & NETHERFIELD for GEDLING & COLWICK. What was the longest ever and what is the longest now ? (the above being shortened to plain old Carlton these days).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
Liverpool South Parkway for John Lennon Airport, I think thats pretty long :D

BW

Depending on what you mean by "English", the longest station name in English appears to be "Rhoose Cardiff International Airport"

The longest station name in England is "Ashford International (Eurostar)"

Then "Prestwick International Airport", "London St Pancras International", "St James Street (Walthamstow)" and "Southampton Airport Parkway"

Station names taken from here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/codes/ (ignoring the Tube stations, such as "High Street Kensington Underground")

Edit: I've just spotted that NR have abbreviated "Manchester Utd Football Gd". Assuming the station name is unabbreviated, "Manchester United Football Ground" is longer than Ashford International (Eurostar), but shorter than Rhoose Cardiff International Airport

Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
Depending on what you mean by "English", the longest station name in English appears to be "Rhoose Cardiff International Airport"

Then "Prestwick International Airport", "London St Pancras International", "St James Street (Walthamstow)" and "Southampton Airport Parkway"

Station names taken from here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/codes/ (ignoring the Tube stations, such as "High Street Kensington Underground")

Edit: I've just spotted that NR have abbreviated "Manchester Utd Football Gd". Assuming the station name is unabbreviated, "Manchester United Football Ground" is longer than Ashford International (Eurostar), but shorter than Rhoose Cardiff International Airport
I think you're confused. There's no such station as "Ashford International (Eurostar)". There is one called simply "Ashford International" though. Similarly "High Street Kensington" is just that; there is no "Underground" in its name.

Established Member

Prestwick is in Ayrshire.

The station's full name is Glasgow Prestwick Airport, and is written as such on the signs.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Other stations with more than 20 letters (not including 20) include:

Ashchurch for Tewkesbury (22)
St Budeaux Victoria Road (21)
Oxenholme Lake District (21)
Birmingham International (23)
Worcester Foregate Street (23)
Greenhithe for Bluewater (22)

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I remember many moons ago that the longest English station name used to be CARLTON & NETHERFIELD for GEDLING & COLWICK. What was the longest ever and what is the longest now ? (the above being shortened to plain old Carlton these days).

Tell me Lemming, is that an ATW DMU in your picture, the type Leppard of the ATW Cardiff zoo remarked about his staff driving.

Bob

Bungle73

On Moderation

Greenhithe for Bluewater is only called Greenhithe on station signs.

BW

I think you're confused. There's no such station as "Ashford International (Eurostar)". There is one called simply "Ashford International" though. Similarly "High Street Kensington" is just that; there is no "Underground" in its name.

*shrug*

As I stated, the station names were taken from the National Rail website.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

I thought it was Oxenholme - The Lake District

Southern

This thread reminded me of something I saw on the news a while ago. Did a search and found this:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

(Anglesey, Wales) :)

Oracle

Established Member
Down here we have of course Pokesdown for Boscombe which is just 20. I am discounting Portsmouth and Southsea as they seem to use the Ampersand rather than 'and'.

Wellworthy
Ampress Works Halt (26)

still exists but is closed. The original enamel sign is however on display at the Eastleigh Lakeside Railway.

Bungle73

On Moderation
This thread reminded me of something I saw on the news a while ago. Did a search and found this:

I think we all know about that one don't we? It's not even the place's real name; it was made up to encourage tourists.

Schnellzug

Established Member

That's not English! :lol: (Actually, it was completely made up in Welsh as well.)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This is quite a cool one: (no, I know it's not English either):

Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta

in Andhra Pradesh... distinction of having the longest name among all stations on the Indian Railway system

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member

No, the actual station name is "Oxenholme Lake District", although I have often heard it pronounced: "Oxenholme for the Lake District."

It's a bit like Penrith, which is often pronounced: "Penrith for the North Lakes."

Neither of these are official station names, of course.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Liverpool South Parkway for John Lennon Airport, I think thats pretty long :D

The station name is officially "Liverpool South Parkway." (Does anyone know if the station signs reflect this?)

Even though the airport is called "John Lennon Airport", the station is occasionally announced on London Midland as: "Liverpool South Parkway for John Lennon International Airport." That must be a record! :lol:

I haven't heard it pronounced that way lately. It always was a bit tedious: "Welcome aboard this London Midland service to Liverpool Lime Street. We will be calling at Coseley, Wolverhampton, Penkridge, Stafford, Crewe, Runcorn, Liverpool South Parkway for John Lennon International Airport and Liverpool Lime Street." :roll: (My quote is not 100% accurate but the announcement was along those lines.)

Schnellzug

Established Member
The station name is officially "Liverpool South Parkway." (Does anyone know if the station signs reflect this?)

Even though the airport is called "John Lennon Airport", the station is occasionally announced on London Midland as: "Liverpool South Parkway for John Lennon International Airport." That must be a record! :lol:

I haven't heard it pronounced that way lately. It always was a bit tedious: "Welcome aboard this London Midland service to Liverpool Lime Street. We will be calling at Coseley, Wolverhampton, Penkridge, Stafford, Crewe, Runcorn, Liverpool South Parkway for John Lennon International Airport and Liverpool Lime Street." :roll: (My quote is not 100% accurate but the announcement was along those lines.)

That's another thing, this constant renaming of Airports. Why are they all named after personalities now? George Best, John Lennon, Craig David International*. Bring back good old Speke, that's what I say. And whatever is Doncaster Sheffield and Wakefield Westgate Robin Hood International when it's at home?!

*the new name for Southampton Airport
** ok, it's not, yet.

tony_mac

Established Member
It has the 'for Liverpool John Lennon Airport' in smaller lettering underneath the 'Liverpool South Parkway'

St Leonards Warrior Square to tie with Wavertree (but with an extra space!).

Dunfermline Queen Margaret for Scotland.

Last edited:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
After posing the question I kind of wondered what criteria would count as I would imagine the longest name in a timetable would not necessarily be the same on a ticket to the place or what is actually on the station signs. Probably what is actually on the station signs in my mind, as it was recalling a train journey through Hungary some years back, where the sign with the station name on it was almost the length of the platform (somewhere like Mezőkeresztes-Mezőnyárád).

RPM

Established Member
There is Haddenham & Thame Parkway at 22 letters (or 24 if you use "and" rather than an ampersand).

Formerly there was Alfreton & Mansfield Parkway at 27 letters (or 29 without the ampersand), now renamed Alfreton.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

Nope, just 'Lake District'

No, the actual station name is "Oxenholme Lake District", although I have often heard it pronounced: "Oxenholme for the Lake District."

It's a bit like Penrith, which is often pronounced: "Penrith for the North Lakes."

Neither of these are official station names, of course.

Oxenholme Lake District is official, Penrith is just Penrith ;)

All Line Rover said:

The most annoying thing about that is is that they didn't even name it after someone decent!

Established Member
As it turns out, Oxenholme's full name is "Oxenholme The Lake District", and is 24 letters excluding spaces:

6100855241_16c467946d_z.jpg

Penrith's full name is "Penrith The North Lakes" according to the station signs there, although I don't have any pictures from there as I've never alighted there.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
As it turns out, Oxenholme's full name is "Oxenholme The Lake District", and is 24 letters excluding spaces:

6100855241_16c467946d_z.jpg

Penrith's full name is "Penrith The North Lakes" according to the station signs there, although I don't have any pictures from there as I've never alighted there.

I wouldn't go off what the signs say - half of the ones in Scotland are 'for ....' anything from hospitals to schools ;)

Reading through this thread the name "Parkway" comes up quite often as in my longest name offering near me "Southampton Airport Parkway."

What the hell is a "Parkway?"

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Reading through this thread the name "Parkway" comes up quite often as in my longest name offering near me "Southampton Airport Parkway."

What the hell is a "Parkway?"

Yes, winning currently with 25 letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.