• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for advice on freight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

379Pilot

Hi guys I am currently a passenger driver with only 7 years experience, but I am looking to go to the freight side of the industry. I've applied to Gb Rail Freight and DbS.

Just want to hear all stuff good bad and ugly. Everything. Work content diagrams pay conditions benefits perks etc etc...

Thanks in advance.

379P :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aivilo

Making the move myself.

From drivers I've spoke to its vastly different. More nights and surprisingly variety of work. no set shifts where I'm going ( work is issued the Friday before ) lots of earning potential and time off. No travel perks is probably the biggest downside

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Bad sides: Lots of night work, no set shift pattern to follow, if you fail you've probably got some walking to do.
Good sides: No moaning punters!

Beveridges

Established Member
I'd bet doing all that night driving gets more & more boring what with no scenery to look at. Especially in Winter when it's dark at 16:00-17:00 and doesn't get light until 07:00-08:00.

379Pilot

I was so looking forward to it, bur received an email today saying that due to an alteration in projected requirements, they are now recruiting for where I wanted next year :( Sad times I want to come to freight.

Oh well onwards and upwards.

Aivilo

Out of interest where were you looking to be based?

Won't they entertain a speculative application? There was no vacancies for the firm I went with but a polite phone call showing my interest done the trick

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I was so looking forward to it, bur received an email today saying that due to an alteration in projected requirements, they are now recruiting for where I wanted next year :( Sad times I want to come to freight.

Oh well onwards and upwards.

which foc was that and for which depot?

Bluebri

Does the view in your depot change much?

Sorry, had a chuckle at that reply. But I also don't get how it is any different from a late shift on a TOC. Or is it not as dark for passenger trains???? ;) (Just for the record, this is a light hearted post)

Albatross

Wouldn't mind a bit of info myself if there's any freight lads looking in.

I'm currently passenger but got an application in to go across to freight. What are the main differences? Is my traction knowledge expected to be a lot better to be a freight driver? And most importantly how safe do you feel the industry is at the moment?

I mean that job security wise not accidents.

Aivilo

Wouldn't mind a bit of info myself if there's any freight lads looking in.

I'm currently passenger but got an application in to go across to freight. What are the main differences? Is my traction knowledge expected to be a lot better to be a freight driver? And most importantly how safe do you feel the industry is at the moment?

I mean that job security wise not accidents.

Security wise it's not like it used to be. Freight by rail is on the rise.

When you can drop me a personal message and I'll answer what I can

TB93

I'd bet doing all that night driving gets more & more boring what with no scenery to look at. Especially in Winter when it's dark at 16:00-17:00 and doesn't get light until 07:00-08:00.

I wish you would engage brain first before your daft comments,you can still see in the dark and the scenery changes more than it does just driving on a depot.:roll:

Beveridges

Established Member
You shouldn't bring Depot Driving into this - Unlike mainline drivers, Depot Drivers do not spend most of their time sat down looking through a window, so views are less relevant.

Last edited:

379Pilot

I had applied to DBs Peterborough. They have said they will keep details on file and to check website weekly.

i have put a speculative application in to other also now.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Personally I enjoy the variety on freight, I rarely drive the same route/jobs from week to week, different wagons handle differently, certain wagons have poor brakes, others you could stop on a sixpence.
Of course there are downsides. Traction knowledge wise I don't know how much you have to know on units but basically you'd more than likely have to know a 66 inside out and they're not that complicated.

cossie4i

Personally I enjoy the variety on freight, I rarely drive the same route/jobs from week to week, different wagons handle differently, certain wagons have poor brakes, others you could stop on a sixpence.
Of course there are downsides. Traction knowledge wise I don't know how much you have to know on units but basically you'd more than likely have to know a 66 inside out and they're not that complicated.

That's the reason for me wanting to change to freight, you have to DRIVE them and each one is different not like EMUs which near enough all drive the same.

379Pilot

Relocation not really an option unfortunately. I like the idea of the different route and the different types of work.

I don't mind heavy or intermodal work.

Aivilo

I know with a particular firm the pay differs between the two.

All the best with making the move, I start in October so if you ever need anything feel free to give me a shout

Dieseldriver

You shouldn't bring Depot Driving into this - Unlike mainline drivers, Depot Drivers do not spend most of their time sat down looking through a window, so views are less relevant.

Still bitter about your inability to land yourself a mainline drivers job then?

Beveridges

Established Member
Depot Driver/Shunter is much better (to me) than mainline. I prefer a job working as a team, working outdoors a lot, with a lot of manual work thrown in, than a sedentary job working alone indoors for long periods.

The jobs are two opportunities in many ways and don't think mainline would suit me personally. Now for someone else it might be, but I don't think its for me as I like working on depots.

Last edited:

Albatross

MDD looks and sounds terribly boring to me.

That said, each to their own, think it would be decent to do for a while before joining the proper ranks of driving but not for a career.

That's just me though

W230

Established Member
It is for this reason that once my two years is up i'll start seeing where (and who if anyone!) might have freight jobs. I quite like night work anyway but the main reason i'm interested is going further afield over a variety of routes.

Dieseldriver

Depot Driver/Shunter is much better (to me) than mainline. I prefer a job working as a team, working outdoors a lot, with a lot of manual work thrown in, than a sedentary job working alone indoors for long periods.

The jobs are two opportunities in many ways and don't think mainline would suit me personally. Now for someone else it might be, but I don't think its for me as I like working on depots.

In that case, stop commenting on a role you clearly have no experience of whatsoever and making snide little comments at every opportunity. At best it's incredibly boring, at worst it makes you look bitter and jealous.

GB

Established Member
Beveridges, I don't know if you purposely troll these types of threads or just have some sort of complex but your continual put down of a job you have never done really does become tiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.