• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lorol or southeastern drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sirgerbil

LOROL do get paid more money but I guess it's personal preference. I'd imagine the holidays are roughly the same, LOROL will be the ELL everyday whereas SE may have more variety in routes and dependant on where you live your commute to work may be longer/shorter on what depot you end up going to.

notadriver

Established Member
where do you live cabbie1 ? If you want to know the ins and outs of both companies PM me.

W230

Established Member
How do I pm
You need 5 posts (which you now have).

Left click on "not a driver" and it will give you the option of sending a private message.

What I would suggest though - if you're applying for trainee drivers posts, being picky as to which company you apply for is not normally the quickest way forward. Of course, if you have job offers from both already/are qualified then be as selective as you wish... ;)

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The biggest decision will be where you live in relation to the depot. As a qualified driver you will be taxed at 40% & with NI also any travel costs to work will mean you need to earn around £1.50 to cover every £1 in travel costs. So if one job A costs you £1000 p.a to get to work & Job B £2000 p.a job B needs to be paying at least £1500 more to break even. This doesn't of course take into account your travelling time and wear and tear on your vehicle (if you need to drive to the depot) So look carefully at what travel perks the TOC's give and see which one helps with your commute & leisure trips the most.

Sirgerbil

The biggest decision will be where you live in relation to the depot. As a qualified driver you will be taxed at 40% & with NI also any travel costs to work will mean you need to earn around £1.50 to cover every £1 in travel costs. So if one job A costs you £1000 p.a to get to work & Job B £2000 p.a job B needs to be paying at least £1500 more to break even. This doesn't of course take into account your travelling time and wear and tear on your vehicle (if you need to drive to the depot) So look carefully at what travel perks the TOC's give and see which one helps with your commute & leisure trips the most.

Agreed, Remember for LOROL your only depot is NXG at the moment. SE have a lot more choice.

Latecomer

Agreed, Remember for LOROL your only depot is NXG at the moment. SE have a lot more choice.
I would guess that because the OP is asking about South Eastern then NXG would be the nearest to them but NXG is not the only LOROL depot.

Regarding the original question, I haven't any direct experience with SE although I do know there have been some comments in the past that haven't been particularly complimentary, but perhaps it varies depot to depot? At LOROL all links do the same work but you can choose between a few as to how you have your rest days. Annual leave is 32 days per year (this includes leave in lieu of having to work bank holidays). That rises to 34 days after 5 years. It is a 4 day working week but Sundays are part of the working week. You get roughly every other weekend off. The travel perks are superb - especially if you or a spouse use TfL services including tubes or buses but there is also free travel on a number of other national rail services as well as the usual priv travel on those which aren't free.

Of course there will always be some gripes with a company, but in general terms I rate LOROL as a very good employer. The pay and pension is towards the top of the list but be warned that the work is not for everyone. It is very intense and getting more so. Relatively few days are sat spare any more. On the ELL in particular the sheer number of station stops and the short signal sections elevate the potential for incidents so your concentration levels have to be up there all the time.

Sirgerbil

I would guess that because the OP is asking about South Eastern then NXG would be the nearest to them but NXG is not the only LOROL depot.

I know, I mentioned NXG as if he has been successful, the last campaign was for NXG.

Economist

I would say get in with who you can, remember there are quite a few TOCs in London so rather than going for just a couple, I'd say go for any that you can commute to (unless of course you already have an offer).

Class2ldn

Gtr have the best terms and conditions. On 51 k from next April. No sundays. Most people only go to southeastern for ease of travelling. They are well behind other tocs on terms and conditions

notadriver

Established Member
Agreed if you live in London the choice is probably quite clear. But if you live a considerable distance (1+ hour) away and in Kent , I can't see why a TL depot would be more attractive than a SE one close to where you live as the work would be mostly Main line.

Status
Not open for further replies.