Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by overthewater, 30 Jul 2017.

1. overthewater

overthewater Established Member

No63 is a council bus, First 38 isn't that busy per say I can see plenty of empty ones but It can run full when need be.
    Wow your years behide :D Bo'ness has a near hourly service, thanks to Citylink 909 and Bo'ness community transport C19 each providing links:

* https://www.citylink.co.uk/timetables/Summer 18/WEB_909.pdf
    * https://bonesscommunitybus.scot/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/C19-Timetable-Aug-2017.pdf

2. Volvodart

Volvodart Established Member

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2018/06/service-change-29-july/
    Soneone said I have to edit this post, so there goes!

Last edited: 2 Jul 2018
  3. overthewater

There is no mention of the 36 getting cut back has people got the wrong end of the stick? 300 is getting cuts in freq to 20mins weekday and 30mins at other times.

HERE ARE the East coast buses changes: it does look like its increase the competition against the local operators. It's a shame there still no improve fast link for the people of Tranent...
    https://eastcoastbuses.co.uk/service-changes-29-july/

4. kje7812

kje7812 Member

Sounds quite good. I get the 34 to Heriot-Watt everyday (PhD) so having the new 35 as an alternative is nice.

5. overthewater

What way will the 35 go if it omnit Asda? Surly you would think students, asda...

If the 300 stops at Edinbugh uni, then maybe you could get a 500 which could go Airport - gyle - Replace the 36 to Craiglockhart, then follow the 38 route to Cameron toll?

6. kje7812

kje7812 Member

How I read it is that it will still go down Chesser avenue but won't turn into the corn exchange bit (new market rd) which in my experience can add a lot of time. It would still stop at the Slateford Station bus stops and the stops by Edinburgh West Retail Park (aldi etc).

7. SpeedbirdA350

SpeedbirdA350 Member

8. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

Generally positive changes. Little details matter - like Lochend hopefully getting a better balanced four buses per hour with both the 19 and 34 running every fifteen minutes (instead of three buses per hour on one and five buses per hour on the other).

The service to the Airport is covering more and more of the city - rather than the tram killing off buses to the Airport, it seems to have encouraged direct links from other parts of the city.

The southern half of the old 32/52 has had a significant turnaround in recent years - from dwindling down to a tendered hourly service to a half hourly service extending to the Airport.

Will there be more outrage about the cost of the registration plates?

(hopefully not, it seems a reasonable business expense, a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things, but you know how some people like to be outraged!)

No mention of all 104s running via Mussleburgh, no mention of the 49 going back via the Wisp, no mention of the 300 running via Morningside, no mention of a co-ordinated 300/400 from the Gyle to the Airport (one will be every twenty minutes, the other one every half hour), no mention of the 21 running via Cameron Toll, no mention of changes to the 38, no expansion into West Lothian... its almost like we are just guessing (and making assumptions based on the out-of-date information on VOSA registrations)! I'm sure @TheGrandWazoo would suggest that such speculation rarely hits the target.

9. overthewater

To be fair I would be very surprised if the 300/400 were not co-ordinated on a Saturday ;) It looks like one extra bus is going via muss on 104 ;)

Vosa really should get those doc sorted out, because its misleading to have incorrect details, why isn't Gyle listed as its termanite point on the registration? I have no idea why people kept on thinking Lothian are going to expanded in the West Lothian.

10. SpeedbirdA350

SpeedbirdA350 Member

I don't think Lothian had to buy vanity plates in the first place as the original plates were good enough but the cost is small in the grand scheme of things as you said. That said, did they put vanity plates on the buses to hide the fact they are nearly 11 years old? I don't see why that would even be an issue as lothian currently (although not for much longer) have 14 year olds in the fleet.

As for the speculation and guessing of the new routes, I think it's part and parcel of life that we can guess where things go but no one knows for sure unless they are in the main group at LB, and lets face it, some suggestions were better than the outcome.
    West Lothain would be more than welcome but we are stuck with First bus or the early 109.
    300 going via Morningside would give a direct link from Airport, Slateford, Fountainpark to Morningside/Grange/Blackford on to Lady Road but instead is going to mirror 35 from Bankhead Roundabout all the way to Forrest Road
    36 being cut was not bad specualtion either because the registration on VOSA site does say the terminus would be Glenlochart not Gyle and the bus DOES terminate at Gyle.
    Speculation is not a bad thing, as long as people do not say something as matter of fact when it is not and so far, I see no one saying anything for fact.

11. FlybeDash8Q400

FlybeDash8Q400 Member

12. overthewater

For what?

13. Tom1791

Tom1791 Member

Those buses will be either for upgrading the 63 to Lothian country, improving the quality of buses on the 43 or for a new service - perhaps one from town to kirkliston with first cutting the 38 to every 30 minutes? I can't imagine them going any further west than that.

Also:

PM1007722/16 Registered
    EDINBURGH BUS TOURS LTD

Route: Waverly Bridge, Edinburgh to Waverly Bridge, Edinburgh via Stockbridge, Leith, Portobello, Duddingston, Colinton, The Meadows

Service number: 20 Days of Summer

Service type: Excursion or Tour

Effective date: 04 Aug 2018

14. Volvodart

Volvodart Established Member

Why would they be doing that already, when the outcome of the consultation is not known?

15. smtglasgow

smtglasgow Member

Can’t see Lothian heading west – they seemed a bit reticent about going to South Queensferry when Stagecoach pulled out. Don’t think many companies would choose to start competing over a marginal route in the current climate.

Although I still think they are by some distance the best operator in Scotland, I wonder if we’re now at peak Lothian. They’ve grown a lot over the last few years and added a few new brands and maybe it’s time to consolidate. Edinburgh is still growing (particularly to the west), so they’ll be in a strong position for years to come, but maybe the rapid expansion of the last few years is over. Even Lothian won’t be immune to the headwinds affecting the industry (and haven't they just reported a drop in passenger numbers?).

16. overthewater

Lothian has already made cuts in it's network last year. Said cuts are still in place. Its doing what everyone else has done. More buses on busy section while cutting or retiming other buses to provide a joint level of service.

17. OmniCity999

OmniCity999 Member

249/250 and friends are to operate this to compliment the festival. There was talk of some B7RLE's and Solos operating this route but nothing has come to fruition as of yet. A number of early eclipses and solos have been resprayed white (as they are offered for sale) in preparation and and talk was that some eclipses were to get a wrap to advertise the tour.

18. oldman

oldman Member

There was this in the Evening News the other day:

The last paragraph is, of course, total and utter nonsense. They reported an increase for last year (the snow may make a difference to this year's figures). The point about traffic is real enough and it's good to see Hall talking about it, not that the council will do anything about it.

19. michael769

michael769 Established Member

Because they are? :) Announced today:

Source

If I were First I'd be seriously worried about their West Lothian operation's future.

20. yorkie

yorkie Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

21. Darklord8899

Darklord8899 Member

The 300 isn't going anywhere near Morningside, from Forest Rd will run via Potterow, Nicholson Square, Clerk and South Clerk Streets, Minto Street to Cameron Toll (Lady Road)

22. Lothian_Bus

Lothian_Bus Member

I notice that none of 201-215 have been allocated to service 10 today. There are a few on services 11 and 14. I wondered if anyone knew what the plans are for these buses going forwards

23. ANWP Tom

ANWP Tom Member

201-215 have been regular on 10s for the 4 years ive lived in Edinburgh, 14s seems a more recent thing as for future plans for them once the older stuff is dealt with they may go as nonstandard

24. Darklord8899

Darklord8899 Member

This afternoon coming home from work, I saw one of the wee Central based electric buses that were bought for the 1 on a 45 to Queen Margaret Uni.
    I always thought that the 45 was run from Marine? No?

25. Lothian_Bus

Lothian_Bus Member

Yes I believe the 45 is Marine. Could have been a one off or one of the electric buses has temporarily been moved to Marine. On a similar note buses 469 and 470 from Marine (branded Your New 26) have been operating on Service 37/x37 (based at Central) all day today.

26. Darklord8899

Darklord8899 Member

Maybe some shuffling going on in readiness for the service changes??

27. Lothian_Bus

Lothian_Bus Member

It's possible although I doubt any of the 26 fleet would get moved. Several buses were involved with the 'Driver of the year' event at Ingliston so I suspect Central borrowed the 26's just for today. Surprised they went out on the 37 as opposed to the 8 though.

28. FlybeDash8Q400

FlybeDash8Q400 Member

The 45 has one Central run on it. It starts at the QMU at 1238 i think where it replaces a Marine Double Deck

29. Lothian_Bus

Lothian_Bus Member

I see thanks.

30. Darklord8899

Darklord8899 Member

Ahh I didn't know that, thanks.