• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I haven't been aware of an XLB on service 4 yet. I could be wrong and have missed that though.

Interesting that the XLB’s are currently not operating on three of the four main routes they would normally be on - the 7,11 and 31.

Be interesting to see the XLB turn at Oxgangs! Maybe it they extended the 4 to hunters tryst or fairmilehead :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bus9120UK

Established Member
the 7900s, 404-425 & 551-570 have had their fonts changed to look like hannover screens
i know, but the 100 and its city centre dest looked much bolder, as well as the Clerwood on the 26, and Bonnyrigg on the 31
EDIT: I was also the person who began the conversation on the updated destination so i obvs knew.

Last edited:

OmniCity999

Established Member
Be interesting to see the XLB turn at Oxgangs! Maybe it they extended the 4 to hunters tryst or fairmilehead :D

The XLB's have been on the current incarnation of the 4 in service and have been trialled at Hillend. They've also run to Hunters Tryst on the 27 and 5.

Trident638

Regarding the turn at the top of P-Pans for the XLBs, I believe if they were to meet another bus they’d have to do a loop around where the 124 goes and back on route from there. Similar to what the 24s do at the Grange Loan if they meet a bus in the wrong place, just loop the 41 route.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Regarding the turn at the top of P-Pans for the XLBs, I believe if they were to meet another bus they’d have to do a loop around where the 124 goes and back on route from there. Similar to what the 24s do at the Grange Loan if they meet a bus in the wrong place, just loop the 41 route.

The roads are quiet enough that it doesnt matter. The XLB's are only being used on 26's just now due to lockdown being eased and people going to the beach, although i can see them staying for a short time. They will eventually stop running on (at least Tranent 26's) and the frequency of the 26 will just be upped.

During normal operating conditions i.e not during a pandemic, the XLB's wouldnt run on tight roads, however it is required to maintain social distancing on various routes.

The tight turn in question is Ayres Wynd and if you think it's tight going left, imagine going right. I imagine this is what you're instigating by saying ("I believe if they were to meet another bus they’d have to do a loop around where the 124 goes and back on route from there.") The fencing thats on that corner would be taken out by tail swing and even then it probably get enough clearance on that corner due tight roads and ignorant drivers. Not to mention they'd have to miss a stop as turning onto (B1349) Station Road would be incredibly difficult, considering theres usually cars badly parked, as well as turning off of it onto Preston Road, not to mention (B1349) Station Road is a very tight road, due to previously mentioned parked cars. Property owners have been known to intentionally park badly to stop vans and trucks using that road.

I'm not saying it cant be done, im just saying it would be incredibly tight and probably wouldn't be allowed.

Lets be honest, the buses are probably having to go on the wrong side of the road to turn left onto Preston Road as even some standard and short length deckers do...

route101

Established Member
Have lothian implemented social distancing like first with seats blocked off?

SpeedbirdA350

I would assume Lothian would need to put as many buses on the road as possible once we go back to a full schedule, due to social distancing. Increase the timetable needs more buses in the fleet, so we might even see tridents on the road again. So the chance of Lothain selling the older fleet to any other company right now is not going to happen.

Which makes me wonder if Lothian will change the plan to have only Euro 5+ on the road by the end of 2020, as some of the older fleet are still Euro 4 and even Euro 3.

Might we even see some of the vintage fleet in active service for a short time even?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I would assume Lothian would need to put as many buses on the road as possible once we go back to a full schedule, due to social distancing. Increase the timetable needs more buses in the fleet, so we might even see tridents on the road again. So the chance of Lothain selling the older fleet to any other company right now is not going to happen

Which makes me wonder if Lothian will change the plan to have only Euro 5+ on the road by the end of 2020, as some of the older fleet are still Euro 4.

Might we even see some of the vintage fleet in active service for a short time even?
can see some if not all the remaining B7s in service into next year. lothian have 702, 704, 746, 763 sat at Seafield works and possibly a few more which aren’t visible. would be nice to see the heritage fleet in actual service, a nice change

OmniCity999

Established Member
can see some if not all the remaining B7s in service into next year. lothian have 702, 704, 746, 763 sat at Seafield works and possibly a few more which aren’t visible. would be nice to see the heritage fleet in actual service, a nice change
I would assume Lothian would need to put as many buses on the road as possible once we go back to a full schedule, due to social distancing. Increase the timetable needs more buses in the fleet, so we might even see tridents on the road again. So the chance of Lothain selling the older fleet to any other company right now is not going to happen.

Which makes me wonder if Lothian will change the plan to have only Euro 5+ on the road by the end of 2020, as some of the older fleet are still Euro 4 and even Euro 3.

Everything that's in Lothian ownership will make an appearance.

We'll need to for bandit screens to everything, too.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Have lothian implemented social distancing like first with seats blocked off?

I think it's just advisory at the moment, though from what I've been reading on Twitter there's been alot of customer backlash against Stagecoach/First with alot of people (in some cases key workers) being left behind.

In some cases with potentially two hours to wait for the next bus as Stagecoach haven't increased their service or provided larger vehicles in many places.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I think it's just advisory at the moment, though from what I've been reading on Twitter there's been alot of customer backlash against Stagecoach/First with alot of people (in some cases key workers) being left behind.

In some cases with potentially two hours to wait for the next bus as Stagecoach haven't increased their service or provided larger vehicles in many places.
Lothian taking the sensible approach, imo. Let the passenger decide if the bus is too busy or not, its their choice if they want to travel or not.

buslad1988

Lothian taking the sensible approach, imo. Let the passenger decide if the bus is too busy or not, its their choice if they want to travel or not.
Yeah it’s a really difficult one. Operators are finding themselves in a catch 22 situation. Either accused of being too strict or not strict enough... and social media doesn’t help matters. People are too quick to slate.

I’m in agreement with Lothians approach, it’s up to people themselves to make their own judgement. What I don’t agree with though is passengers expecting drivers to police social distancing... it’s not their job.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Yeah it’s a really difficult one. Operators are finding themselves in a catch 22 situation. Either accused of being too strict or not strict enough... and social media doesn’t help matters. People are too quick to slate.

I’m in agreement with Lothians approach, it’s up to people themselves to make their own judgement. What I don’t agree with though is passengers expecting drivers to police social distancing... it’s not their job.
Agree with every word of that

OmniCity999

Established Member
________ Separate post ________

Do we know what's happening regarding Lothian Country and LMC?

LC Will get screens fitted. LMC will continue as before with precautions in place as and when they seem fit, like any other coach company.

Agree what you said about the interubans too!

overthewater

Established Member
Do we know what's happening regarding Lothian Country and LMC?

Just because of Social distancing, we might just see LCB full network come back into action to provide enough space for everyone, Will the Government want to pay for competition?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Just because of Social distancing, we might just see LCB full network come back into action to provide enough space for everyone, Will the Government want to pay for competition?

Unlikely, such common sense is lacking in the bus industry these days, plus it wouldn't been necessary on all routes.

LC Will get screens fitted. LMC will continue as before with precautions in place as and when they seem fit, like any other coach company.

Agree what you said about the interubans too!

I'd assume the LMC coaches are not being fitted with screens at the moment? If so then that makes sense as i wouldn't imaging the risk is that high for hire drivers provided that common sense is used, for example not having passengers sat in the first few rows of seats and wearing a mask/gloves.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Unlikely, such common sense is lacking in the bus industry these days, plus it wouldn't been necessary on all routes.

I'd assume the LMC coaches are not being fitted with screens at the moment? If so then that makes sense as i wouldn't imaging the risk is that high for hire drivers provided that common sense is used, for example not having passengers sat in the first few rows of seats and wearing a mask/gloves.

Exactly, the hires fleet is in storage just now. Although as we previously discussed, I can see the interurbans getting bandit screens, possibly even the short Panthers too short term so they could be used in service if needed. I think that would be the best solution.

LMC's fleet is dormant, however if there needs to be mass moving of people in a controlled and safe manner, the company is still active so could assist in any safe means.

As the months go on, we'll gradually see things being eased and eventually we'll go back to "normal". With LMC being owned by Lothian and therefore Municiple, I'd say it's in a good position. Obviously older family businesses are going out of business and it's really sad, but LMC will survive and will be able to take any slack. What was a vanity project, could turn out to be rather lucrative due to Covid.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Exactly, the hires fleet is in storage just now. Although as we previously discussed, I can see the interurbans getting bandit screens, possibly even the short Panthers too so they could be used in service if needed. I think that would be the best solution.

LMC's fleet is dormant, however if there needs to be mass moving of people in a controlled and safe manner, the company is still active so could assist in any safe means.

As the months go on, we'll gradually see things being eased and eventually we'll go back to "normal". With LMC being owned by Lothian and therefore Municiple, I'd say it's in a good position. Obviously older family businesses are going out of business and it's really sad, but LMC will survive and will be able to take any slack. What was a vanity project, could turn out to be rather lucrative due to Covid.

Agreed, i had my doubts about the future of LMC at the start of the year, however it does seem that Covid-19 may have been it's saviour. Albeit it's sad that so many well known smaller firms have gone.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Agreed, i had my doubts about the future of LMC at the start of the year, however it does seem that Covid-19 may have been it's saviour. Albeit it's sad that so many well known smaller firms have gone.
Believe a lot of staff were laid off from LMC, dont know the ins and outs so dont quote me, but I think they were offered service work or to be paid off.

There were due to be 4 more short Panthers at LMC (Second hand) these were purchased and refurbishment was due but I'm unsure what's happening now.

The return to full service will take alot of time and planning. Older B7's will return and I wouldnt be surprised if we see the newer members of the heritage fleet, too.

Would be pretty cool to see LMC coaches in service...

overthewater

Established Member

Has any scottish companies go pop?

Status
Not open for further replies.