• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedbirdA350

Can anyone remember, (or did I dream this) when Lothian decided to have a free bus day? I think it was in 2005 or something, and for one day only, all buses were free, no tickets needed. It was I think a Saturday. I think the exersize was to get more people on the buses and out of their cars.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
It was real! and it cover ALL the operates but just within city of Edinburgh area. It come into effect at 9am. i'm sure it was mid week like Wednesday as part of no car day, that never really worked.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It was real! and it cover ALL the operates but just within city of Edinburgh area. It come into effect at 9am. i'm sure it was mid week like Wednesday as part of no car day, that never really worked.
Nottingham have introduced something fairly similar with apparently some decent results. They charge a tax if you drive your car to work, therefore giving some incentive for people to use public transport to get there.
Apparently Edinburgh are interested in a similar scheme but they I believe are waiting for powers to be devolved to them.
Sam

SpeedbirdA350

Thank you overthewater, I thought I was going mad as I had asked others if they could recall it and they all said no, I must have drempt it up! Knew one of you would know lol. Can now celebrate I'm not going insane. I had wondered what the outcome was as LB never said anything after it.

I do wonder if it would be more successful if they were to do it again. I suspect if they advertised it enough, it might be fairly popular.

Bungle, I'm not quite sure what powers you mean, however if we can have a LEZ or possible congestion charging then we could do similar to Nottingham although I suspect it sounds similar to a congestion charge but under a different name? If the powers are with the SG then it's pretty easy to get permission or what ever we need I'm sure.

Trident638

Bit of an unrelated note but just out of curiosity, what is everyone’s favourite/least favourite route from Lothian/East Coast and Lothian Country. From any year or garage, could be more than one route if you like, just thought i’d Spark an interesting discussion here.

I’ll start
Favourites
Lothian:
4, 15, 21, 42, 45 (Marine)
10, 24, 29, 41 (Central)
20, 33, 36, 38, 44, 63, 200, 300, 400 (Longstone)

East Coast
106, 113, 124, X7

Lothian Country
43, X27/X28
(Still haven’t tried the other services yet lol)

Least Favourite
Lothian
19, 49 (Marine)
27, 37, 61, 67 (Central)
22, 30, 34 (Longstone)

East Coast
N/A

Lothian Country
N/A

What about you lot? what are your thoughts and opinions etc

Favourites:

CE - 10, 27, 29, 31, 37, 43, 47, 100
LS - 20, 22, 23, 38, 44, 400, X27/X28
MA - 15, 26, 45
ECB - all

Least favourite - 30

mark-h

Bungle, I'm not quite sure what powers you mean, however if we can have a LEZ or possible congestion charging then we could do similar to Nottingham although I suspect it sounds similar to a congestion charge but under a different name? If the powers are with the SG then it's pretty easy to get permission or what ever we need I'm sure.

Edinburgh Council are considering a "workplace parking levy" from a Scotsman Article

Edinburgh could become the first local authority area in Scotland to charge companies for allowing employees to park at work.

Councillors are considering a workplace parking levy, which could also include customer parking, as part of a campaign to cut congestion and air pollution.

The SNP-Labour administration’s transport and environment committee has agreed to investigate setting up the scheme and will “set out the argument and rationale” for the charge. In Nottingham, which in 2010 became the first place in the UK to introduce the levy, businesses are charged £402 each year per space and the money goes towards transport improvements, including extending the city’s tram network.

Employers can choose to reclaim the cost of the levy from their employees. All organisations and premises with more than ten parking places are liable for the charge. Scottish councils would need permission from the Scottish Government to introduce the charge, which could be achieved through an amendment to its Transport Bill.

The levy is backed by transport group Transform Scotland, which has said it could be applied to “workplaces as well as other types of premises”, raising the prospect of out-of-town shopping centres having to pay the levy to provide free parking to customers.

oldman

My recollection is that the free day was a Saturday and Lothian was not very enthusiastic about it - it was a council scheme. The publicity was quite last-minute.

Lothian_Bus

Hardly seen any Tridents of late . Must be hard to catch a ride on one , Meanwhile in Glasgow all i have to do is walk 5 minutes and i have one every 30 mins
Only four operating today from what I can see. Two on the C134 and one each on the 33 (very unusual) and the 44.

SpeedbirdA350

Thank you Mark and Sam. It is certainly an intersting prospect.

I seen a trident on the 44 route about a week ago but they are becoming more and more rare now.

Does anyone know when 701-825 (euro 3) will be exiting the fleet? It's a large number of buses to be replaced, and last I heard, they were going to talk to ADL about the fleet as Wrightbus have some issues with supply or something?

kje7812

Thank you Mark and Sam. It is certainly an intersting prospect.

I seen a trident on the 44 route about a week ago but they are becoming more and more rare now.

Does anyone know when 701-825 (euro 3) will be exiting the fleet? It's a large number of buses to be replaced, and last I heard, they were going to talk to ADL about the fleet as Wrightbus have some issues with supply or something?
IIRC what was said up thread (many pages ago) the ADL order was for single deckers whilst Wright would remain the choice for doubles.

EDIT: see #635

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Nottingham have introduced something fairly similar with apparently some decent results. They charge a tax if you drive your car to work, therefore giving some incentive for people to use public transport to get there.
Apparently Edinburgh are interested in a similar scheme but they I believe are waiting for powers to be devolved to them.
Sam

As far as I know, the tax in Nottingham is on the employer, in relation to the number of parking spaces provided. It has been in existence for a few years now.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Forthcoming ADL order is for all double deckers I believe
I've been told by various sources that it is 42 Single Deck B8RLE's, I am told that the body is based on the current E200mmc, with the light configuration said to look like the E400mmc instead. Just what I've been told

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
So the 69 situ is up now, Prentice are to run it 'in partnership' with Lothian, All the Lothian fares/tickets plus ridacards will still be valid. Clever move from Lothian

Darklord8899

So the 69 situ is up now, Prentice are to run it 'in partnership' with Lothian, All the Lothian fares/tickets plus ridacards will still be valid. Clever move from Lothian

Aye, an interesting situation, from other threads on here I've seen it mentioned a few times happening south of the border, where an operator runs a service in partnership/on behalf of, another operator, but first time I'm aware of Lothian doing it (apart from the old 66 service that was Lothian Region Transport/Eastern Scottish)

ANWP Tom

Keeping the info flow going, only saw 1 trident todays commute 676 on a kings rd bound 19 on Prince st around 7am. Will keep my eye out for them each morning/evening

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Keeping the info flow going, only saw 1 trident todays commute 676 on a kings rd bound 19 on Prince st around 7am. Will keep my eye out for them each morning/evening
I'm thinking that 571-574 have allowed Longstone's remaining ones to go, Marine has 7 left (I think)

Also is anyone aware if 301-310 are going to be repainted now that the B5's have their wraps, also are 474-475 gonna get an animal eventually?

Last edited:

Lothian_Bus

Longstone isn't quite done with the tridents yet but we are almost there I would say. 680 was on the 44 yesterday and on Tuesday there was a trident on the 23.

Darklord8899

Longstone isn't quite done with the tridents yet but we are almost there I would say. 680 was on the 44 yesterday and on Tuesday there was a trident on the 23.
I thought Longstone's share of the 44's had gone to Central? Or is there still the odd journey from Longstone.
Also I was under the impression that the 25 was 100% Marine, but saw a 25 on service from Longstone to Riccarton Wednesday afternoon, or again, is there still the odd journey from Longstone?

Lothian_Bus

I thought Longstone's share of the 44's had gone to Central? Or is there still the odd journey from Longstone.
Also I was under the impression that the 25 was 100% Marine, but saw a 25 on service from Longstone to Riccarton Wednesday afternoon, or again, is there still the odd journey from Longstone?

Hi. Longstone still operate the majority of service 44 Monday to Saturday. The portion that Marine operated switched to Central in August. The biggest change is on a Sunday where most 44's are from Central with just a few from Longstone.

The 25 is a Marine Service but there are some extra journeys run at peak times Monday to Friday from Longstone.

Darklord8899

Hi. Longstone still operate the majority of service 44 Monday to Saturday. The portion that Marine operated switched to Central in August. The biggest change is on a Sunday where most 44's are from Central with just a few from Longstone.

Ahhh right, I have gotten confused somewhere along the line thinking the 44 was a Central/Marine split service now

Central also run the 3 early morning Leith St to Hay Drive round trip 30's as well I believe...... guess they have most spare buses on a Sunday?!

Lothian_Bus

Ahhh right, I have gotten confused somewhere along the line thinking the 44 was a Central/Marine split service now

Central also run the 3 early morning Leith St to Hay Drive round trip 30's as well I believe...... guess they have most spare buses on a Sunday?!
It could be that the early morning journey is being run by the same bus that has operated overnight as the vast majority of Night buses are run from central. Even the first service 26 of the day comes from Central on this basis.

SpeedbirdA350

Hi Willie here just new anymore bus. Service change this year
Given it's 2 months until Christmas, I can't see them making any changes until next year.

I want to add that this might change on a certain route if there is roadworks or such but would be temp route changes.

Darklord8899

It could be that the early morning journey is being run by the same bus that has operated overnight as the vast majority of Night buses are run from central. Even the first service 26 of the day comes from Central on this basis.

Aye, it could well be that, good shout!

overthewater

Established Member
Given it's 2 months until Christmas, I can't see them making any changes until next year.

I want to add that this might change on a certain route if there is roadworks or such but would be temp route changes.

March would be a good bet if anything was to happen, mind you were still waiting for phrase 3 of LCB in it magical quest in how not to compete...

Lothian_Bus

Aye, it could well be that, good shout!
It is interesting how some of the express journeys are split up as well.

The 31 is a Central service but the peak time. x31 Marine. Marine also operate peak time x37's even though the 37 is a Central Service. Longstone operate at least one x29 service in the evening too.

SpeedbirdA350

March would be a good bet if anything was to happen, mind you were still waiting for phrase 3 of LCB in it magical quest in how not to compete...
Yeah or April, when the 10p price rise usually comes in to play. I think however given phase 3 at LCB plus the new depot, it will be interesting to see if there are bigger changes within our local services, ie will the 44 and 20 change (the end zone is after the lcb arc after all - although LB would be shooting themself in the foot with that) or if there will be any cuts/increases. Will the new depot be exclusive for the coaches and LCB or will some LB services be based from there too such as 20, 63 and 109? It will be interesting to say the least.

Darklord8899

It is interesting how some of the express journeys are split up as well.

The 31 is a Central service but the peak time. x31 Marine. Marine also operate peak time x37's even though the 37 is a Central Service. Longstone operate at least one x29 service in the evening too.
I think the reason the X31 is Marine is due to the interworking with the X12 which has been Marine, Central and back to Marine
When I worked at Gogarburn some X12's continued from Haymarket as X31's (think the same was true for morning inbound X31's continuing to RBS as X12's)

Status
Not open for further replies.