• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
The thing is the 101/102 still runs so it's not like there's nothing at all between Penicuik and Morningside. Lochend has alternatives in the 19 and 34, I don't see what all the fuss is about and I reckon DunsBus is probably right in that the people complaining most of them probably didn't use it, it was a single deck anyway so it really had to work then or it was gone, which it didn't so now it has

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
I agree that the changes to the 33 and the introduction of the 48 are good moves, don't know much about how the 15 is doing.....but Lochend is pretty well served with buses as is Penicuik with 37/47 so don't think it's leaving any major gaps..... I suspect that, as is often the case, the "outrage" in the media is from people who rarely actually use the 15...
I’m only going by what is on social media but the general opinion is that the 15 is a lot faster into Edinburgh than the 37/47. And there’s a lot of people who used the 15 to the Morningside/Hillend area. Their option now is to get the 37/47 into Edinburgh before coming back out again.

alchemy

Apart from Aaron Lodge guest house hotel, (only then if you live in Gore ave or Mayfield area) which is 3 minor stops in the middle of nowhere every single person has much faster bus to their desiternation... If people want to travel around the houses on very slow bus that is not what bus service is for... and you wonder why Lothian made this change?
You said 99% last time !

overthewater

Established Member
TROLL? Don't bother reading because it was me or something? I included the 1% IE "Apart from Aaron Lodge guest house hotel, (only then if you live in Gore ave or Mayfield area) which is 3 minor stops in the middle of nowhere" but hey its me you have to get that in dig somewhere...

DunsBus

Established Member
TROLL? Don't bother reading because it was me or something? I included the 1% IE "Apart from Aaron Lodge guest house hotel, (only then if you live in Gore ave or Mayfield area) which is 3 minor stops in the middle of nowhere" but hey its me you have to get that in dig somewhere...

Folk staying at Aaron Lodge guest house are more likely to catch a bus into Edinburgh than out to Gorebridge. It's only a short walk from Aaron Lodge to the RIE in any case, so I don't see what the issue is once the changes take effect.

If you stopped presenting your opinions as facts, then you wouldn't be getting these "digs" as you call them!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lothian_Bus

Has the 11s kept them? there seem to be chopping and changing aswell?

Yes but the 7 seems to have lost it's XLBs for now at least.

So from what I can see just now.

Service 11 - 15 B8's out of 18 buses on this route in service.
Service 16 - 15/19 B8's in service.
Service 31 - 16/19 B8's in service.

A fairly even spread across the 3 routes.

No B8's on service 7.

Darklord8899

I’m only going by what is on social media but the general opinion is that the 15 is a lot faster into Edinburgh than the 37/47. And there’s a lot of people who used the 15 to the Morningside/Hillend area. Their option now is to get the 37/47 into Edinburgh before coming back out again.

...Aye, I was forgetting the 15 went Morningside/Bruntsfield and the 37/47 Loanhead/Lasswade Rd/Newington

DunsBus

Established Member
Allover red. Promptly broke down on Princes Street.

On this showing, the first day of the new First tour will be fun.

"if you look to the left, ladies and gentlemen, you'll see Edinburgh Castle. And if you look straight ahead, you'll see the tow truck."

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

OmniCity999

Established Member
Led to believe some may receive an electric retrofit like the ones Transdev bought from Lothian. ...if the venture proves successful.

Although firsts tours are to operate on a very slim profit margin to allow for the lowest punter prices as possible.

Firsts tour fleet are said to be stored in the unit Lothian used to have down near Leith Mills coach park.

overthewater

Established Member
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....rs-pay-packets-jumps-by-20-per-cent-1-4946943

I can tell you where the drop in passengers has happened.....

THE cost of pay packages for directors of Lothian Buses jumped by more than 20 per cent last year as the council-owned company recorded a rise in revenue but a fall in passengers.

Profits before tax fell from £10m to £2.3m. But the dividend the company will deliver to its shareholders - Edinburgh City Council and the other three Lothian local authorities - is up from £6.8m to £7.7m.

Annual accounts published today show directors' remuneration totalled £608,000 in 2018 compared with £496,000 the previous year.

The company said the reason for the increase was that it did not have a finance director in 2017, but it was noe back to full strength with six directors.

The accounts also show the highest paid director - not named, but assumed to be managing director Richard Hall - saw his total pay package rise from £211,000 in 2017 to £218,000.

Lothian Buses' overall revenue was up from £152m to £160m, but passenger numbers fell by around 1.5 per cent from 121.1m to 119.2m.

The company blamed increasing congestion. The commentary in the accounts said: "Overall customer patronage has decreased 1.9m year on year driven by decreasing journey speeds because of the impact of congestion across the city region as well as changes to travel patterns by customers."

Complaints were down - from 7.7 to 7.6 per 100,000 passenger journeys, although "blameworthy incidents" increased from 3.8 to 4.2 per 100,000 miles.

Lothian Buses said the drop in profits was due to major investments and cutting the depreciation term for buses from 15 years to 12 because of rapidly changing emissions regulations.

The company said it had invested £11.4m, including the acquisition of 91 new buses, adding around 10 per cent to the size of its total fleet.

Company chairman Jim McFarlane said: “Lothian continues to contribute to the local and wider economy, creating new job opportunities and investing heavily in the newest technology and vehicles for the benefit of our customers.

“I’m really pleased that our annual accounts released today demonstrate that we are continuing to grow our revenues, whilst also investing in the development and expansion of our business.

“Our performance during 2018 and effective management of increasing cost pressures also mean that we can return a £7.7m dividend to our shareholders.”

Lothian Buses is currently involved in a "bus wars" with private sector rival First Bus, which has seen the two companies encroaching on each other's traditional territory - Lothian launching new routes in West Lothian and First planning a new open-top bus tour operation.

Managing director Richard Hall said: “We have continued to adapt and develop our business by reviewing new opportunities and how we evolve both our current and future public transport offerings.

“Our results for the year are in line with our forecasted expectations and significantly show an overall revenue increase of 5.1 per cent over the previous year driven by the exploitation of growth opportunities, delivering a profit before tax of £2.3m.

“Lothian has faced significant operating and cost pressures driven by economic change and inflation. We anticipate that these cost pressures will not only remain but also increase in the future and we continue to work proactively to address and mitigate the impact of these in order to maintain our required investment and returns."

The company said over the last 10 years it had generated revenues of over £1.3 billion, and returned a dividend of £46.3 million to its local authority shareholders. During this period it also carried over 1.1 billion passengers.

overthewater

Established Member
Edinburgh Trams:
* 2015 - 4.92 million
* 2018 - 7.30 million

EskBank
2015/16 0.128 million
2016/17
11px-Increase2.svg.png
0.275 million
2017/18
11px-Increase2.svg.png
0.339 million

Newtongrange
2015/16 86,398
2016/17
11px-Increase2.svg.png
0.142 million
2017/18
11px-Increase2.svg.png
0.157 million

I wonder where all these passenger used to travel by.....

Steamysandy

According to tonight's Evening News,the Chairman of Lothian Buses has ordered the removal of the cherished number plates from the Lothian Motorcoaches vehicles after words from ON HIGH.
It's been describe d as a slap the size of a 100 seater double decker bus!!!

OmniCity999

Established Member
Possible? Yes
Affordable? Probably not
Required? No

The B8L's perform more than adequately without them.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Possible? Yes
Affordable? Probably not
Required? No

The B8L's perform more than adequately without them.

Possible? Yes
Affordable? No
Required? They should have been built with them

A 13.4M vehicle without steering tags is just a stupid idea it's a simple as that, a real lack of thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.