• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Cust cutting has starting, in this instance it IS A GOOD IDEA.. I think Omni is right we will see wider restructuring taking place soon, again this could be bad but not all of it, and I bet some good will come out of it.
I don't know if this saves a lot of money but merging several different sites into just one area is probably easier to manage and navigate so it makes sense. Perhaps you could say the same about depots. Will they be next to merge?
It's only Edinburgh Trams that are treated differently now from a website perspective. Most folk thought the tram and bus honeymoon was over prior to coronavirus but maybe we'll see a closer relationship in the future - perhaps it would be more efficient. Did the airport buses have their own site before?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Did the airport buses have their own site before?
Airport routes have always just had the section on the LB website rather than a separate one altogether. The short lived Ford Transit shuttle (if anyone remembers that) used to have its own website I think.

Some costcutting can actually be beneficial, for example combining two shorter routes into one big route will usually save time on layovers and require 1 or 2 less buses. It saves the company money whilst offering more connections to the passengers. Just because the amount spent is less doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad thing. Interworking is another common example.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I don't know if this saves a lot of money but merging several different sites into just one area is probably easier to manage and navigate so it makes sense. Perhaps you could say the same about depots. Will they be next to merge?
It's only Edinburgh Trams that are treated differently now from a website perspective. Most folk thought the tram and bus honeymoon was over prior to coronavirus but maybe we'll see a closer relationship in the future - perhaps it would be more efficient. Did the airport buses have their own site before?

Skylink has always run from Longstone, except when it started, it ran from Central for a while, Skylink has never (to my knowledge) had its own website.

Airlink has largely spent its time at Central but has been at Marine and Longstone before, Airlink did for a while have its own website too.

Merging websites allows everything to be in one place, everything about each subsidiary was always on Lothians website anyway. They had their own websites set up as part of the subsidiaries setting up, going by my previous statement, these are now not needed. Everything is on Lothians website anyway. EastCoastBuses.co.uk / LothianCountry.co.uk will still be used in branding etc as customers specifically from those brands can navigate via these links directly to the space on Lothians website where everything on that particular brand is held, instead of searching.

East Coast buses wont be losing Musselburgh or North Berwick. Theres already a lot of dead mileage in the operation so moving services to Marine or Central would not be beneficial. There was talk of another depot in either Haddington or Macmerry, but it was dropped when Hall left.

Ideally, some services should start/end from Central (early am/late PM), but everything is based in Musselburgh and out stationed to NB. It would be a logistical nightmare for Drivers and shift patterns.

If the DriverHub at Shandwick Place goes ahead as planned, a lot would change, but ill not go into it at risk of going too far into detail.

Not going to bother mentioning LCB as its pretty similar in regards to ECB, although ECB will survive, at this point LCB is hit or miss.

overthewater

Established Member
im not sure whats not good about cost cutting?

Sometimes, some people go too far, we have seen this happen a few times across certain companies. Like one Certain over the top young manager at Stagecoach he has bounced around a lot of areas

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Sometimes, some people go too far, we have seen this happen a few times across certain companies.
what i’m saying is though is if the right cuts are made in the right places then its only good. cutting the heritage fleet, selling those open top scanias/tridents that have sat doing nothing for ages are steps in the right direction for it to work properly

overthewater

Established Member
what i’m saying is though is if the right cuts are made in the right places then its only good. cutting the heritage fleet, selling those open top scanias/tridents that have sat doing nothing for ages are steps in the right direction for it to work properly

Yes we all want the right cuts to be made, however its not impossible bad cuts could happen.

oldman

I saw a 35 today with Heriot-Watt on the front and all the timetables say Heriot-Watt. Is this new - Riccarton no more? The University will be happy.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I saw a 35 today with Heriot-Watt on the front and all the timetables say Heriot-Watt. Is this new - Riccarton no more? The University will be happy.
same with the 34s, never payed attention to any 25s i seen today but would assume they’re the same

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Appears bus "5005" appears outside of Central on the Transport Visualizer, does anybody know what bus this could be?

For the vehicles which have a roller on the front and an LED on the back, I wonder if the front would say Riccarton and the back would say Heriot Watt? :lol: :s

ScotRail158725

Established Member
For the vehicles which have a roller on the front and an LED on the back, I wonder if the front would say Riccarton and the back would say Heriot Watt? :lol: :s
tbh those are a rare sight, only about 25 of those left now

OmniCity999

Established Member
Appears bus "5005" appears outside of Central on the Transport Visualizer, does anybody know what bus this could be?
it's a test tracker, it isnt actually fitted to a vehicle. Where it is shown on the map is where the tracker workshop is. It's probably a few meters out, none of the trackers are bang on.

5005 is typically used for demonstrators.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member

I don't think there's any at Longstone anyway.

scosutsut

Apologies if this has been asked and I've missed it, but do we know if the former Motorcoach B9s with ECB are temporary or permanent replacements for the B7s that have left?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Apologies if this has been asked and I've missed it, but do we know if the former Motorcoach B9s with ECB are temporary or permanent replacements for the B7s that have left?
I think it’s permanent. Although my feeling is that 844 may return to West Lothian if and when 942 does finally return.

scosutsut

I think it’s permanent. Although my feeling is that 844 may return to West Lothian if and when 942 does finally return.
Cheers, will keep an eye out for one of them appearing in full ECB colours then, which will be a shame as they suit the Motorcoaches colours so much more!

If it is true does anyone know when we might see 20942 (SN10 DKO) on the road again.

Also does the first 2 numbers in th East Coast Buses fleeting mean if the bus is a single deck or a double deck.
E.g.
10051 SF17 VLX, Wright Eclipse 3 VolvoB8RLE
A image from flickr by - Robin Dickson

20950 LB10 BUS, Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 VolvoB9TL

OmniCity999

Established Member
If it is true does anyone know when we might see 20942 (SN10 DKO) on the road again.

Also does the first 2 numbers in th East Coast Buses fleeting mean if the bus is a single deck or a double deck.
E.g.
10051 SF17 VLX, Wright Eclipse 3 VolvoB8RLE

20950 LB10 BUS, Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 VolvoB9TL

20's are double decks
10's are single decks

Internally vehicles in the ECB fleet are referred to with their full number e.g 20950 and not by the shortened, wider fleet numbering system of 950 - as many enthusiasts would have you believe.

What were these vehicles used for between 2018 and now? The Lothian Vehicle Finder has no records for any of them between May 2018 and August 2020, except for a single date in 2019.