• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Yep. Is the Sick Kids not at the ERI - a place the 30 doesn’t go to?
Not fully, it’s close to that though. So for now the main services remain at the old building just off Melville Drive. Then again it may have closed with the second lockdown.

In any case the EEN wouldn’t know though and I think we’ve discussed them enough for now and I don’t want this to go off topic.

Looking forward to seeing the first of the new ones tomorrow, probably won’t get to see one in the flesh until Friday though. I’m sure we’re gonna see the benefits of these on 30, I’m just happy the new ones have more seats, something that really was an issue on the section of the 30 I would normally use (East Lothian).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
I’m sure we’re gonna see the benefits of these on 30, I’m just happy the new ones have more seats, something that really was an issue on the section of the 30 I would normally use (East Lothian).
Completely agree. Although it might be a while before I get the chance to travel on one.

scosutsut

Yep. Is the Sick Kids not at the ERI - a place the 30 doesn’t go to?
Irrespective if it's at the ERI or the old site in The Meadows, the 30 doesn't go there afaik.

EEN (and the parent website) appear to have slid to complete click bait central, like so many others.

Either that or there are in fact far more beautiful singles AND millionaires than you'd think in <insert name of town they think you are in here>

Leaning back on topic, looking forward to seeing these. Look like they will tick all the boxes. Hope that the nervousness around MCV build quality prove unfounded.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Irrespective if it's at the ERI or the old site in The Meadows, the 30 doesn't go there afaik.

EEN (and the parent website) appear to have slid to complete click bait central, like so many others.

Either that or there are in fact far more beautiful singles AND millionaires than you'd think in <insert name of town they think you are in here>

Leaning back on topic, looking forward to seeing these. Look like they will tick all the boxes. Hope that the nervousness around MCV build quality prove unfounded.

From my short drive yesterday they seem incredibly solid - i've driven every generation of MCV (MAN MCV Stirling, MCV Evolution MAN + VDL and a facelifted Evolution B7RLE demo) and these seem a massive step up in comparison to previous bodywork by them.

As for that news story, I imagine the next one will be "Bus company reliant on government funding rolls out fleet of brand new, high capacity monster single deck buses".

Last edited:

Tartan shorts

You have literally written the headline for them. They will no doubt make a big thing about it. Probably infer they were only ordered a month ago and are an extravagance and far more high spec than required. They'll probably post a photo of a double decker next to the article if their journalist standards are as high as usual.

OmniCity999

Established Member
As for that news story, I imagine the next one will be "Bus company reliant on government funding rolls out fleet of brand new, high capacity monster single deck buses".
Just like they did with the XLB's... "Unnecessary monster buses eat our roads" or something like that...

oldman

Everyone is getting a bit over-defensive - the daughter was on her way to the Sick Kids (still in Sciennes). OK the bus doesn't drop her at the door - she would walk the last bit - but the basic story is sound enough for local journalism and LB have acknowledged the need to tweak the timetable. In fact, I don't think it's unfair to say they should have anticipated problems on that route. It's likely to be key-workers still working under lockdown using it at that time - too early for shop or office workers.

lewisjn

I've driven every generation of MCV (MAN MCV Stirling, MCV Evolution MAN + VDL and a facelifted Evolution B7RLE demo) and these seem a massive step up in comparison to previous bodywork by them.
The Evoras & Evosetis I've been on definitely do feel a step-up. I went on a 17-plate B5LH Evoseti in London a few months back and there were no rattles (with the exception of a poorly replaced panel by the stairs) - compare that to the creaky Enviro400 or rattly Gemini 3!

The first photo of the brand new MCV eVoRa in service 30
Pictured by Violet Eclipse
Lothian Buses 78 SJ70 HNO

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Yes, also one on twitter https://twitter.com/Barberstig/status/1349297502227476480
Out for my morning walk and well here we have @on_lothianbuses brand new @VolvoBusUK starting on route 30 at Murrayfield.
1610538255249.jpeg
(Credit to Stuart Robert Barber)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
So long as that doesn't get swapped it's my bus for tonight (going to be spending all day refreshing bustimes.org :lol: )
I heard there is one on the 2 aswell (bus 66). It seems the tracker is frozen at Seafield on it - but still interesting to hear that there is one on the 2!
Wish you luck and hopefully you get the Evora that you want!

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I heard there is one on the 2 aswell (bus 66). It seems the tracker is frozen at Seafield on it - but still interesting to hear that there is one on the 2!
71 was out on the 2 earlier, but it has since been swapped out, for 29 I think.

I saw the post saying 66 was out although I can’t seem to find anything on Lothian Vehicle Finder (LVF) etc so wonder if it maybe has had one or two teething issues with the automatic vehicle locator (AVL), or it wasn’t out at all.

*Mod note* Please remember to define these abbreviations the first time they are used in a post. This is required by forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
71 was out on the 2 earlier, but it has since been swapped out, for 29 I think.
Didn't know, thanks.

Edit: 66 tracker I think isn't working as I am noticing it keeps changing its location, not sure if that is someone changing coordinates or something - however it was at Seafield, Longstone and now Central.

Last edited:
I saw the post saying 66 was out although I can’t seem to find anything on LVF etc so wonder if it maybe has had one or two teething issues with the AVL, or it wasn’t out at all.
The LVF doesn't seem to be showing the new vehicles properly, if you put in 30 they don't show up.
If you search for them specifically LRT 51-99 then it only shows the ones which have been in service so far (can't remember their exact number range but I know it's between 51 and 99!).
(Images show screenshots of Lothian Vehicle Finder)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210113-125322_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210113-125322_Samsung Internet.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20210113-124956_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210113-124956_Samsung Internet.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 24

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The LVF doesn't seem to be showing the new vehicles properly, if you put in 30 they don't show up.
If you search for them specifically LRT 51-99 then it only shows the ones which have been in service so far (can't remember their exact number range but I know it's between 51 and 99!).
(Images show screenshots of Lothian Vehicle Finder)
bustimes.org seems to be tracking them fine on the map, and you can see where each of them have been at a particular time through the trip history pages.

Q_Okolo12

Great to finally see them in service. Huge upgrade for the the 30. They seem to be beautifully spec'ed! :D

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Three extra journeys on service 30 have been added: https://twitter.com/on_lothianbuses/status/1349350903460073473
In response to customer feedback, we've added 3 extra Service 30 journeys to provide better capacity for those who must travel at this time. These will operate from Fort Kinnaird to Longstone at the following times: 03:33, 06:54 & 07:14. Thank you for your feedback & patience.

Bus9120UK

Established Member

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Was expecting the same thing to be fair.

Did bus 71 do one of the extra journey's before going on the 2 and then heading back to the depot?
71's full tracking history is here: https://bustimes.org/vehicles/276931?date=2021-01-13

In addition to the extra journeys on the 30, there will be two extra 29s and an extra 49 in morning. https://twitter.com/on_lothianbuses/status/1349370405753135105

From tomorrow morning, in response to feedback, the following additional journeys will be introduced to provide more capacity:

Service 29 from Gilmerton Terminus to Frederick Street - 07:13 & 08:13

Service 49 from Wakefield Avenue (Portobello Rd) to Royal Infirmary - 07:04

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Didn't know, thanks.

Edit: 66 tracker I think isn't working as I am noticing it keeps changing its location, not sure if that is someone changing coordinates or something - however it was at Seafield, Longstone and now Central.

66 is parked in Longstone but judging by the road grime it looks like it's been out and about today. More have arrived at Longstone today.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
66 is parked in Longstone but judging by the road grime it looks like it's been out and about today. More have arrived at Longstone today.
I know 83 & 85 has arrived today, what other ones are they?

I have noticed bus 24 has not been in service for a week. After checking Bustimes.org it was on route 36 last week at around 4pm heading towards Ocean Terminal when it suddenly left service in Greenbank, did it have an incident?

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member

It exceeded expectations! The MCV build quality is extremely good, it was even nicer to drive than the '17 Citaros I drove at Cardiff Bus when they were brand new.

What few passengers I had this evening seemed to like it as well.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
It exceeded expectations! The MCV build quality is extremely good, it was even nicer to drive than the '17 Citaros I drove at Cardiff Bus when they were brand new.

What few passengers I had this evening seemed to like it as well.

Glad to hear! Can't wait to be able to get on these. I love the photo you took too.

OmniCity999

Established Member
See how the Volvo 7900Hybrid's batteries degrade over time of being inactive, is this the same case for the Wright Streetair's?
Yes, this is the case for any battery - even down to those in remote controls etc. Technology is getting better everyday though, so future electric vehicles will be able to handle harsher conditions.

SpeedbirdA350

I wondered if anyone here knows; buses registered pre-2000 often (if not always) had front fog lamps installed, but since 2000, I don't recall a single post 2000 registered bus in the fleet with them. I note the new eVoRa has 2 dimples under the headlight assembly that could be pushed out for fog lamps, but I am not certain if that is why the dimples are there or if that is just design.

Was it a Lothian (LRT then) decision to have front fog lamps pre-2000 and not to have them post 2000 or was that bus manufacturers?