• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
We've had a few unreferenced posts lately, so I'd like to remind everyone that when posting information to the forum you must include your sources.

If it's publicly available, we require a link to that source as well as a quote containing the relevant information; this quote should be included within quote tags to distinguish it from the rest of your post. Screenshots should be avoided but if they are posted they must be accompanied by a text description of the contents. If referring to YouTube videos, paste the links and a description of the contents.

It's understandable that some information may come from internal sources and cannot be copied and pasted. However, we still require that you indicate the nature of your source. You should also consider whether or not you should be posting such information in the first place. It's fine to post if you've simply heard a rumour but please make it clear in your post.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Alongside the existing X12 which operates at Rugby from Ingliston Park & Ride to Murrayfield, Lothian have registered an X22 which will serve Murrayfield from the Westfield side:

• PM0000002/627 New​

LOTHIAN BUSES LTD
    Route: Edinburgh, Murrayfield Stadium (Westfield) to Edinburgh, Ingliston Park & Ride via Stenhouse, Broomhouse, South Gyle
    Service number: X22
    Service type: Limited Stop
    Effective date: 24 Mar 2024
As a side note, the registration for the X12 has updated to Royal Highland Centre to Murrayfield. I am unsure when it'll run to the Royal Highland Centre (or why).

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Alongside the existing X12 which operates at Rugby from Ingliston Park & Ride to Murrayfield, Lothian have registered an X22 which will serve Murrayfield from the Westfield side:

• PM0000002/627 New​

LOTHIAN BUSES LTD
    Route: Edinburgh, Murrayfield Stadium (Westfield) to Edinburgh, Ingliston Park & Ride via Stenhouse, Broomhouse, South Gyle
    Service number: X22
    Service type: Limited Stop
    Effective date: 24 Mar 2024
As a side note, the registration for the X12 has updated to Royal Highland Centre to Murrayfield. I am unsure when it'll run to the Royal Highland Centre (or why).

Events when the Royal Highland centre is used for car parking.

Lothiangem22

Parking at ingliston has been a regular problem on rugby days with cars literally abandoned along the roadside.
Contingency parking will be opened up at the royal highland centre on rugby days.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
178 on the 19 today, of course, alongside 50 on the 21. Single deckers have also been on the 4, 26 and X44 in recent times. 953 is back at Marine now after repaint so hopefully that relieves some pressures. There is still one decker off service for a new AVL at all times, though. Yesterday, bus 1031 was swapped for 7900 45 on the 4, with 1031 then heading to Central to gain a new AVL.. Surely bus 45 getting one would've been more sensible!

There is a currently repaints being completed on the E400 XLB fleet. So far this year 1084, 1093, 1107 and 1110 have been repainted, 1086 is away at Ferrymill and 1064 and 1085 are at Seafield being prepared.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
178 on the 19 today, of course, alongside 50 on the 21. Single deckers have also been on the 4, 26 and X44 in recent times. 953 is back at Marine now after repaint so hopefully that relieves some pressures. There is still one decker off service for a new AVL at all times, though. Yesterday, bus 1031 was swapped for 7900 45 on the 4, with 1031 then heading to Central to gain a new AVL.. Surely bus 45 getting one would've been more sensible!

There is a currently repaints being completed to the E400 XLB fleet. So far this year 1084, 1093, 1107 and 1110 have been repainted, 1086 is away at Ferrymill and 1064 and 1085 are at Seafield being prepared.

Would have thought pressing 905/6 into service would be more preferable than putting SDs on decker routes, but needs must I suppose.

ScotRail158725

Established Member

There is a currently repaints being completed to the E400 XLB fleet. So far this year 1084, 1093, 1107 and 1110 have been repainted, 1086 is away at Ferrymill and 1064 and 1085 are at Seafield being prepared.
Just noticed 1084 repainted just now. What XLBs have been repainted other than the ones mentioned?

jb66

If someone with a ridacard wants to go to broxburn, can they just pay a £1 topup?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
If someone with a ridacard wants to go to broxburn, can they just pay a £1 topup?
I believe it’s £2 as that covers the single within that zone. State the destination to the driver, place the ridacard on the reader and then the driver can select the excess fare required. It’s the same process for any outside fare zone with the Ridacard. If you intend to go into 2 or more outside zones then it makes sense to buy a CountryWEST DayTicket if you intend to return within the same day. Again, to buy this it’s just the same process as above.

The same system applies to East Coast Buses but you would be wanting a County DayTicket instead. Confusingly this overlaps the Ridacard within County Zone B.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I believe it’s £2 as that covers the single within that zone. State the destination to the driver, place the ridacard on the reader and then the driver can select the excess fare required. It’s the same process for any outside fare zone with the Ridacard. If you intend to go into 2 or more outside zones then it makes sense to buy a CountryWEST DayTicket if you intend to return within the same day. Again, to buy this it’s just the same process as above.

The same system applies to East Coast Buses but you would be wanting a County DayTicket instead. Confusingly this overlaps the Ridacard within County Zone B.

I can confirm that this is true.

Still not sure why they don't implement add on fares with East Coast Buses or have a Ridacard that covers all the areas.

Scotrail88

Is there no longer external adverts being applied to Lothian Country vehicles?

Allot of generic or blank advert boards running about recently.

Would obviously prefer if removed and make vehicles look better but looks out of place when blank and dirty.

Bus9120UK

Established Member

Would obviously prefer if removed and make vehicles look better but looks out of place when blank and dirty.
On the offside of the ex-London fleet the adverts are being changed to t-frames so they may still be running without anything in them. Most buses recently have been running with 'Proud to serve West Lothian' adverts in all three frames. In my opinion buses look significantly better with the adverts - too much white without them. A plain frame looks great too.

Separate message:

I've had a further look at the new timetables. Extra journeys are also being added to the 31 from the service changes. In the morning, there is an extra bus from Polton Mill. In the evening there are two extra departures, one at 16:00 and one at 16:55. The former will come of a 47, and the latter an X47. Both of these journeys will terminate at the otherside of the road on Cammo so that they can turn right to get to East Craigs. This confirms what each X47 will be doing:

In the morning the 7:19 changes to the 23 for the rest of the day, the 7:39 changes to a peak 9 and then returns to the garage. In the afternoon the 15:26 changes to the 47 for the rest of the day, 16:16 will change to a new 31 journey and the 17:16 will come off a new peak time 24 journey from the Royal Infirmary.

Adding onto the 31, there have been boosts to layover lengths alongside running time. Offpeak vehicle requirement is up from 12 to 13, and at peak it raises by two to 15.

Last edited:
The new Regal Tour looks like it will take a route via Victoria Dock and enter the Ocean Terminal via the northern end as seen by 695s tracking. It has also followed other routes like the 4 and X99. There are other route changes like going via Canongate but I thought I'd highlight this one for those interested.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
There is a Lothian Motorcoaches liveried Volvo 9700 parked at Longstone (SJ73 HVL).
Any idea as to how many Lothian are getting?

ScotRail158725

Established Member

Theres a few like 1046 which have an advert thats been on for a to the point they’ve come off, ive noticed this on adverts a lot the past 6-12 months that they seem to peel off or fade? Perhaps global have changed what meterials they use on adverts

There is a Lothian Motorcoaches liveried Volvo 9700 parked at Longstone (SJ73 HVL).
Wonder if its for expansion/new contracts or if they’re replacing older vehicles

Ricky Kane

They are getting 2.
Theres a few like 1046 which have an advert thats been on for a to the point they’ve come off, ive noticed this on adverts a lot the past 6-12 months that they seem to peel off or fade? Perhaps global have changed what meterials they use on adverts

Wonder if its for expansion/new contracts or if they’re replacing older vehicles
They are additional as Lothian oldest coaches are 2018 & 2019.

Lx008

Is anyone aware of more information on the BZLs, both in terms of when the first Lothian spec machine might be headed over as well as what 997 is up to?
Considering the late spring timing for the first 25, shouldn’t they start rolling out of the factory in Sweden soon-ish?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Considering the late spring timing for the first 25, shouldn’t they start rolling out of the factory in Sweden soon-ish?
Forgive my ignorance, but surely only the chassis could roll out in Sweden? Then again the chassis’ could be made at another of Volvo’s plants, as was the case with the 7900’s.

As far as I knew the final assembly point would be at MCV’s main factory in Al Jadidah, Egypt?

Lx008

Forgive my ignorance, but surely only the chassis could roll out in Sweden? Then again the chassis’ could be made at another of Volvo’s plants, as was the case with the 7900’s.

As far as I knew the final assembly point would be at MCV’s main factory in Al Jadidah, Egypt?
You are very much correct, I got it mixed up.

paul0762

Is anyone aware of more information on the BZLs, both in terms of when the first Lothian spec machine might be headed over as well as what 997 is up to?
I’ve heard April time but only 11 coming then the rest will be here by September time

Saw 1085 SJ19 OXA passing through Kirkintilloch to Ferrymill it was rubbed down and prepared for a new coat of paint by the looks of it.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Saw 1085 SJ19 OXA passing through Kirkintilloch to Ferrymill it was rubbed down and prepared for a new coat of paint by the looks of it.
It was at Seafield for several weeks being prepared. 1064 and 1086 moved to Seafield at later dates (In this order) yet it was 1086 which departed first last week. I believe 1085 is the 7th XLB to depart for paint this year. I am assuming it's 198 returning from paint today. 1064 arrived at Ferrymill yesterday after swapping for 195.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
It was at Seafield for several weeks being prepared. 1064 and 1086 moved to Seafield at later dates (In this order) yet it was 1086 which went first just four days after moving to Seafield. I believe 1085 is the 7th XLB to depart for paint this year. I am assuming it's 198 returning from paint today. 1064 arrived at Ferrymill yesterday.

Passed 664 headed east on the M8 just now, has that been away?