• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LSL running (and WCR try to run) mainline 'extras' this week on behalf of Avanti West Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Does this mean they get revenue share?
I don't know. There's an error in the data (the LSL record is marked as inactive in the fares database) so most retailers won't sell the ticket. But some do, like Avanti.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They are Avanti services being operated by LSL.

Randomer

Ah so the rumours in the thread that disappeared here yesterday are true. Interesting that it isn't being discussed more widely even in other places.

_toommm_

Established Member
I would surmise that it’s using the MK3 coaches, as the LSL tour I’m booked on next week has had the MK3 coaches replaced with Saphos MK1 coaches. This allows the services to Euston to be operated at up to 110mph.

jfollows

Established Member
What services are LSL operating on behalf of Avanti?
1663156009738.png

09:00 and 16:21 Piccadilly-Euston, 12:33 & 19:23 Euston-Piccadilly
ECS Crewe-Piccadilly and return at start and end of day.

EDIT PS You can see why RTT’s platform numbers aren’t always right (1Z94 forming 1Z96); it’s down to errors in the data feed I know.

Last edited:

JaJaWa

Established Member
“Please be advised that Locomotive Services Ltd will be operating some trains on behalf of Avanti West Coast over the coming days to support the us throughout the Operation London Bridge period. The trains will be operated under LSL’s safety case using their train crews and rolling stock (110mph), but advertised as Avanti services,

The trains will operate as below from this Wednesday through to the following Tuesday.
08:50 Manchester Picc to London Euston, 12:55 London Euston to Manchester Picc and 15:53 Manchester Picc to London Euston, 19:23 London Euston to Manchester Picc (via WML and CRE).
07:30 Preston to London Euston, 10:40 London Euston to Preston and 1405 Preston to London Euston, 1730 London Euston to Preston (calls WGN and WBQ only).”

LRV3004

Meant to be a 1621 Manchester to Euston today with a 1923 Euston to Manchester, however the empty stock working from Crewe to Manchester is now showing as a "VCN" planned cancellation in Real Time Trains.......

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is that going to be riddled with stewards I guess? I thought using slamdoor vehicles with droplights on scheduled mainline services was no longer allowed? Mind you, have locks been fitted to the Night Riviera windows yet?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
EDIT PS You can see why RTT’s platform numbers aren’t always right (1Z94 forming 1Z96); it’s down to errors in the data feed I know.
It's not a data error, it's that the platforming hasn't been worked through correctly. "Garbage in, garbage out" as they say.

Iskra

Established Member
Are they Standard Premium only considering the seating layout and lack of at seat service? ;)

This is a much better idea though than competing against Avanti, as these will show up more readily for normal passengers on booking engines. Also better for enthusiasts who can now buy a return ticket.

miklcct

On Moderation
I'll see if my schedule fits to take one of these trains - it may be a once-of-a-lifetime chance for me.

Speed43125

What happens if/when the enthusiasts take up all the seats?
Then Avanti will make some extra money I suppose. Though its not as if the Friday Charter trains were ever that well loaded.

I would surmise that it’s using the MK3 coaches, as the LSL tour I’m booked on next week has had the MK3 coaches replaced with Saphos MK1 coaches. This allows the services to Euston to be operated at up to 110mph.
Is the service using only the first class coaches then? I presume it's too much effort to dig up the odd TSO used in the loco hauled staycation express trains to add extra seating capacity?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They seem to be in the timetable as normal Avanti services - "First Class available, restaurant service" - but I suspect that's an error and they'll actually run as all Standard a bit like the old Friday Pretendolino/Voyager reliefs did.

miklcct

On Moderation
Trainsplit doesn't show the service but I want a seat reservation guaranteed and I want to replace my existing Euston - Manchester journey booked through Trainsplit. Must I buy a ticket through Avanti instead?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Trainsplit doesn't show the service but I want a seat reservation guaranteed and I want to replace my existing Euston - Manchester journey booked through Trainsplit. Must I buy a ticket through Avanti instead?

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't offer seat reservations on them, they won't be worth the faff of entering the layouts for such a short term service. They'll probably just use counted places. They may not even sell any tickets on them, rather use them as a relief for the following services which may be full and standing.

miklcct

On Moderation
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't offer seat reservations on them, they won't be worth the faff of entering the layouts for such a short term service. They'll probably just use counted places. They may not even sell any tickets on them, rather use them as a relief for the following services which may be full and standing.
It is listed as "compulsory reservation" in the timetable data though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It is listed as "compulsory reservation" in the timetable data though.

That can be counted places, or it could be that they'll never open any reservations on it and just use it for overflow from the previous one on flexible tickets.

Other than the Cally Sleeper "reservations compulsory" in the UK just means you can't buy a ticket for it unless reservations are available.

rjf27

I am looking at the Avanti website at the tickets for 15/09 and they allow you to book the "LTS RAIL LTD" operated trains either at standard or first class prices. Which is odd given the whole train is first class seating only?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am looking at the Avanti website at the tickets for 15/09 and they allow you to book the "LTS RAIL LTD" operated trains either at standard or first class prices. Which is odd given the whole train is first class seating only?

I did a search on Realtime Trains for Euston on Friday and I got:

1159 arrival from Manchester Pic: Std only, reservations not available
1233 dep to Manchester Pic: First and Standard, "restaurant for first class passengers" (which just means at seat service I think), reservations compulsory
1553 arrival from Crewe: doesn't mention classes or reservations
1742 departure to Manchester Pic: doesn't mention classes or reservations
1858 arrival from Manchester Pic: Std only, reservations not available
1923 dep to Manchester Pic: First and Standard, "restaurant for first class passengers" (which just means at seat service I think), reservations compulsory

Given the platform numbers it strikes me that they've mucked it up. I did wonder if they had one set with both, but I given the platforms it seems fairly obvious that the ones that form the other ones aren't the same, i.e. the 1858 arrival is P16 as is the 1923 departure, which means it'll be the same set.

Edit: I just tried a dummy booking and it was walk up fares only and counted places, no actual seat reservations.

Last edited:

miklcct

On Moderation
Does that mean I will need to buy a first class ticket in order to use that train, or I can just get on with a standard class ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.