• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Night Tube Train Operator - Part Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bart1234

Hey all,

Firstly, my apologies for stalking for so long without posting. I completed my AC2 about three weeks ago and was told I was successful last Thursday. I received my background check e-mail today.

Congratulations to everyone else who has either started or, like me, is waiting for a start date. I hope to put faces to names sometime soon :)

Congratulations Salesy, likewise it will be good to put some faces to the names hopefully we will find out some start dates soon.

Salesy

Congratulations rosschap. Out of curiosity, how long did it take you from offer to start date?

Jetlagged

I am 3 weeks into training, have just finished the first section which is 3 weeks at Ashfield house on 3rd floor at the learning center, its been really good, you have 2 exams within the first few days just some safety stuff, fire and track based stuff, but they are nothing to worry about all multiple choice.

Dont bother printing on really reading the pre course material as you will not once refer to it or look at it.

you then spend 3 weeks in classrooms and afew days out at some depots learning about tracks, rails, current, signals and emergency procedures, which end up being in a big test on the friday of your 3rd week.

once you pass that you then go to your designated depots for the remainder of your training which includes line knowledge stock and train moves.
and obviously all your driving training.

good luck for when you start mate

Thanks Elliott. If you have the time it would be interesting to hear how you progress. Good luck!

CurtisGodby

Hey guys been a silent observer for a while, just want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread in regard to the SJM test and interview process as it's been extremely helpful.
Got the phone call today that I got the job couldn't be happier and that's because of you guys I'm only 19 so this is life changing job for me. I can't wait to start!

Jameswilson

Hey guys been a silent observer for a while, just want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread in regard to the SJM test and interview process as it's been extremely helpful.
Got the phone call today that I got the job couldn't be happier and that's because of you guys I'm only 19 so this is life changing job for me. I can't wait to start!

Curtis congrats! When was your ac2 if you don't mind me asking?

GBBoy

I am 3 weeks into training, have just finished the first section which is 3 weeks at Ashfield house on 3rd floor at the learning center, its been really good, you have 2 exams within the first few days just some safety stuff, fire and track based stuff, but they are nothing to worry about all multiple choice.

Dont bother printing on really reading the pre course material as you will not once refer to it or look at it.

you then spend 3 weeks in classrooms and afew days out at some depots learning about tracks, rails, current, signals and emergency procedures, which end up being in a big test on the friday of your 3rd week.

once you pass that you then go to your designated depots for the remainder of your training which includes line knowledge stock and train moves.

Have you got your line yet?

bluegoblin7

Established Member

This is not good advice for any LU course, particularly something as in depth as train operator.

There will be important information in the pre-course material that will ensure you have the basic knowledge required for those tests over the first few days. Just because it doesn't get referred to it doesn't mean it isn't useful.

By following this advice and ignoring the pre-course material you are doing nothing but spiting yourself. That additional little bit of reading could very easily be the difference between a pass and a fail - aka a job or no job.

Lrd

Established Member
This is not good advice for any LU course, particularly something as in depth as train operator.

There will be important information in the pre-course material that will ensure you have the basic knowledge required for those tests over the first few days. Just because it doesn't get referred to it doesn't mean it isn't useful.

By following this advice and ignoring the pre-course material you are doing nothing but spiting yourself. That additional little bit of reading could very easily be the difference between a pass and a fail - aka a job or no job.
I disagree, the pre course reading is pretty poor and outdated. Everything in there that is still relevant and useful will get covered over the course of the 12 weeks in a lot more detail.

It's certainly worth a quick read through but definitely don't print it out and take it with you like they told you to.

What's the point in reading up on the C stock for example?

beast

Is the test that's taken on the Friday of 3rd week hard? How many tests in total? I'm kind of nervous now as I don't want to be jobless since obviously I'll be handing my resignation in to my current job!

annap300

Is the test that's taken on the Friday of 3rd week hard? How many tests in total? I'm kind of nervous now as I don't want to be jobless since obviously I'll be handing my resignation in to my current job!

You will not be jobless unless you do something really stupid and that is with every job. It takes a while to get used to the way London Underground works but it is a great company and they will support you and help you throughout the training. Let me know the line/ depot they allocated you.
If any of you are on the piccadilly line... come and find me for some tips on driving. I recently moved from NT position into FT.
Good luck all with your training.

Jetlagged

You will not be jobless unless you do something really stupid and that is with every job. It takes a while to get used to the way London Underground works but it is a great company and they will support you and help you throughout the training. Let me know the line/ depot they allocated you.
If any of you are on the piccadilly line... come and find me for some tips on driving. I recently moved from NT position into FT.
Good luck all with your training.

Congratulations on progressing to FT and thank you for freeing up a space for someone on NT. If I'm lucky enough to get a NT position, a couple of nights a week will be more than enough for me just to enjoy a job I have always hankered after.

peanloma

Congratulations to all those who have also recently passed the AC2 and have had a conditional offer, it's an exciting time - but is anyone else struggling with the wait for a vague start date?

I even contacted the HR team to ask if I could apply for one of the CSA roles being advertised while I'm in the queue - but they said that they had a waiting list for start dates on that too! I know it helps with business efficiency (to have a pool of talent on-tap when required), but it's not so easy from this end!

venting over....

;)

Salesy

Congratulations to all those who have also recently passed the AC2 and have had a conditional offer, it's an exciting time - but is anyone else struggling with the wait for a vague start date?

I even contacted the HR team to ask if I could apply for one of the CSA roles being advertised while I'm in the queue - but they said that they had a waiting list for start dates on that too! I know it helps with business efficiency (to have a pool of talent on-tap when required), but it's not so easy from this end!

venting over....

;)

Have you had your background checks yet, peanloma?

Last edited:

Jambo86

I disagree, the pre course reading is pretty poor and outdated. Everything in there that is still relevant and useful will get covered over the course of the 12 weeks in a lot more detail.

It's certainly worth a quick read through but definitely don't print it out and take it with you like they told you to.

What's the point in reading up on the C stock for example?

Agreed. By all means have a read, but don't waste your ink. I'd be 99% certain that the trainer won't even mention it at Ashfield House.

Walsh87

How long did it take for them to give you a start date after sending off the all the sterling backcheck forms and emails??

Only a few weeks, they offered me start dates in Aug or Sept but I have a pre planned holiday in mid Oct so they called me back 2 weeks later and gave me a date after I get back

Salesy

Has anyone else found TfL really helpful but struggled a bit with Sterling TS?

Salesy

Background checks all done, just waiting for medical and start date now...

Any more news from anyone else?

burlsey

Background checks all done, just waiting for medical and start date now...

Any more news from anyone else?
I'm still waiting for background checks, how long did they take from start to finish? did you have any queries that TS came back with?

Status
Not open for further replies.