• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo (East Coast Trains) Class 803 Updates/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownFast

Strangely the VCB also pops on the rear carriage of an 802 even tho the front pan is in use although it isn't as loud
5-car 80x have a VCB (VCB1) between the pantograph and 25kV bus line (which is on the roof - you can see the curly connections between the vehicles), and another VCB (VCB2) between bus line and transformer. There are 2 transformers on 5-car 80x, on each driving trailer, so there will be 3 VCBs in operation at any one time - VCB1 between whichever pan is raised and the bus line, and 2 VCB2s (1 on either driving trailer) between the bus line and the transformers. If you're sat at the rear and the pan is raised on the front, you'll hear VCB2 opening at the neutral section.

9-car 80x has another VCB, VCB3, on the TpS vehicle as there is another transformer on this vehicle (the p in TpS standing for 'power'). It's below sole bar level so you don't hear it so readily.

Having all these different VCBs means that if there is a transformer fault, then the VCB2 (or VCB3 on a 9-car) local to it will open, and the train can run off the remaining transformer(s). If there was only VCB1, then a fault on one transformer which caused VCB1 to open would mean that the other transformer would also lose power.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ozziedog

Does anyone know if these seats are at a table B31 and 32 and B35 and 36 in the 803 train? The reason that this is important is that we are travelling with our dog (Labrador) and wish to avoid hassle for us and others, so table seats would not be good for us. I have sent Lumo a message but I would like peace of mind before they eventually reply. There seems to be only 2 tables in the B carriage so we would be unlucky to end up at a table, and there is always the chance of switching with other passengers who may appreciate a table.

EDIT: I was able to save a blurred pdf of the seating plan (attached) and was able to zoom and just about make out the seat numbers for the tables which were B21 TO 28.

Attachments

• LUMO SEAT PLAN.pdf
    190.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

TheBigD

Established Member
B31, B32, B35, B36 are all airline seats.
Table seats are B23, B24, B29 B30 and B63, B64, B69 and B70.

If you use the seating plan from the excellent seat61 website you can easily zoom in...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I was on an absolutely ram-packed pendolino between Scotland and London yesterday afternoon. I couldn't help thinking that it must be easy pickings for Lumo potentially, particularly if they had some sort of ticketing arrangement through to Glasgow.

david1212

Established Member
I was on an absolutely ram-packed pendolino between Scotland and London yesterday afternoon. I couldn't help thinking that it must be easy pickings for Lumo potentially, particularly if they had some sort of ticketing arrangement through to Glasgow.

I wonder what loadings Lumo are running at for busiest and quietest services ?
Their walk-on fares work out around 24p/mile London - Newcastle and 21p/mile London - Edinburgh while a proportion of tickets will be lower priced advance against which they have to balance the books.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I wonder what loadings Lumo are running at for busiest and quietest services ?
Their walk-on fares work out around 24p/mile London - Newcastle and 21p/mile London - Edinburgh while a proportion of tickets will be lower priced advance against which they have to balance the books.

It would be interesting to know, particularly for a mid-day-ish service from Scotland to London equivalent to the pendolino I was on.

Status
Not open for further replies.