• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo - new Open Access operator on the East Coast Main Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlogax

Established Member
The main problem of this journey for me is Luton Airport, it is my closest airport, and I avoid it like the plague as it's dreadful

I've been told by a few people that Luton is not the dire hellscape that it used to be even up to a couple of years ago..not that anyone has convinced me to give it another go.

Aiming to give Lumo a go in a few weeks. Those seats look quite comfy!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I've been told by a few people that Luton is not the dire hellscape that it used to be even up to a couple of years ago..not that anyone has convinced me to give it another go.

I’m afraid whoever told you that is having you on. :lol:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
He also got a dig in about the lack of a rail connection to Edinburgh airport (he didn't mention that Glasgow airport lacks one as well).

He must have missed those two pairs of rails right outside the terminal building...

The main problem of this journey for me is Luton Airport, it is my closest airport, and I avoid it like the plague as it's dreadful

It is much improved, and is now great airport to use. When the DART opens next year it will be even better.

Established Member
Not compatible for use in passenger service but they can mechanically couple for rescue purposes, as can all 80x classes. It would however require approval from Agility, which given their approach towards failures so far would be unlikely to be forthcoming.
Incorrect. Lner units are not compatible, and under no circumstances is an LNER unit to be used to attempt to rescue an LUMO 803 unit.

First priority is to use an lumo 803, then it would be either a TPE 802, or a Hull Trains 802.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Luton has been improving for years, and the DART will indeed shift things up another level. Sure, it's like any modern airport in that it's more of a shopping centre with a runway, but that seems to be what people want (or else the shops wouldn't exist).

Ultimately, an airport is only as good as the flights it has that people want - at times people want.

dk1

Veteran Member
Apologies if it’s been mentioned in the last few days (I did scroll back as far as I had patience too) but good news for rail staff. Free & Priv travel facilities will be offered on LUMO services with a seat reservation from 1st November.

Established Member
Luton has been improving for years, and the DART will indeed shift things up another level. Sure, it's like any modern airport in that it's more of a shopping centre with a runway, but that seems to be what people want (or else the shops wouldn't exist).

Ultimately, an airport is only as good as the flights it has that people want - at times people want.
I've just travelled through Luton yesterday for the first time, I thought it was a decent airport, and seemed far more efficient than the likes of Manchester.

DanNCL

Established Member
Incorrect. Lner units are not compatible, and under no circumstances is an LNER unit to be used to attempt to rescue an LUMO 803 unit.

First priority is to use an lumo 803, then it would be either a TPE 802, or a Hull Trains 802.
Agility/LNER policy may not be to allow the two to rescue each other, but they can mechanically couple. They’re only “incompatible” in the sense that the TMS of the two won’t talk therefore preventing anything other than an emergency rescue, but can mechanically couple. It’s exactly the same as the situation regarding rescuing a 385 with a 380 or a 334.

It should be noted that an LNER unit has worked in multiple with a TPE 802 before, albeit not in service, to Eastleigh, despite supposedly being “incompatible” in the same way as the 803s are.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
They've tweeted that they're now booked out until December.

That's pretty impressive, in fairness (admittedly only 2 trains each way per day). Must be lots of people seeing the cheapest fare and booking it there and then, even if they weren't looking for (or even aware of) Lumo specifically.

Established Member
I think for business travel the train could be seen as the better option once the pretty reliable internet connection on the ECML is taken into account and that the worker will be at a seat with a laptop for the full time instead of trying to find somewhere in the airport or hoping the battery doesn't die on the plane.

The important part of Simon Calder's blog was that the Luton-Glasgow flight was 93% full.
So profitable for the airline and a challenge to the rail operators (in this case mainly Avanti).

Simon is a very fair journalist and knows his railways as well as airlines, not to mention all the Covid travel rules worldwide.
He made clear his wider preference to use the train.
No doubt the Lumo side of the trip will feature in the next edition of the rail mags.
Simon also doesn't do PR freebies, which is probably why he was flying rather than on the train.
He was also masked up on the train I see (mandatory on Scotrail, and Easyjet).
He also got a dig in about the lack of a rail connection to Edinburgh airport (he didn't mention that Glasgow airport lacks one as well).
If the easyJet flight was 93% full that might indicate quite healthy demand for the route in general. Perhaps there's a market for a Lumo equivalent running between London and Glasgow.

alistairlees

Established Member
I think for business travel the train could be seen as the better option once the pretty reliable internet connection on the ECML is taken into account and that the worker will be at a seat with a laptop for the full time instead of trying to find somewhere in the airport or hoping the battery doesn't die on the plane.
Totally unreliable and useless WiFi connection on LNER today between London and York. The train was rammed, which was probably why. It was impossible to work, even after bagging a table seat next to a window.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Totally unreliable and useless WiFi connection on LNER today between London and York. The train was rammed, which was probably why. It was impossible to work, even after bagging a table seat next to a window.

I was on wi-fi less 700s for 1 hour each way yesterday, and still got loads done on my laptop. If anything, made me more productive focused on writing a report rather than processing e-mails. Good to unplug from the Matrix for a while.

(And just queued a few e-mails to send when I next got a connection).

_toommm_

Established Member
No, it's just wrong. The plug is the three pronged thing on the end of the flex.

Plugs are plugged into sockets. It's not rocket surgery.

But a colloquialism is something that isn't perfect English, as I'm sure you will already know. Lots of people I know, and lots of conversations I've overheard, include 'Are there plugs on this train?' and the like (with 'train' being a location that can be interchanged for cafe, airport, etc.). The prescriptivist in me realises it isn't correct. To you, it might be 'just wrong', but certainly in my circle it's wideley accepted without even an eyelid being batted.

philthetube

Established Member

Agility/LNER policy may not be to allow the two to rescue each other, but they can mechanically couple. They’re only “incompatible” in the sense that the TMS of the two won’t talk therefore preventing anything other than an emergency rescue, but can mechanically couple. It’s exactly the same as the situation regarding rescuing a 385 with a 380 or a 334.

It should be noted that an LNER unit has worked in multiple with a TPE 802 before, albeit not in service, to Eastleigh, despite supposedly being “incompatible” in the same way as the 803s are.
assuming mechanical coupling is possible are LNER going to screw their service on principle
Plug, of course, being a colloquialism for a wall socket.

No, it's just wrong. The plug is the three pronged thing on the end of the flex.

Plugs are plugged into sockets. It's not rocket surgery.
plugs go in "plugoles"

Established Member
They've tweeted that they're now booked out until December.

That's pretty impressive, in fairness (admittedly only 2 trains each way per day). Must be lots of people seeing the cheapest fare and booking it there and then, even if they weren't looking for (or even aware of) Lumo specifically.

Indeed. I suppose it depends on whether they’re “busy” in the way a person selling £10 notes for £9 would be, or whether their pricing structure is sustainable for the longer term, taking into account the unknowns around Covid, how long the owning group is prepared to run a loss leader (which presumably is what it will be until better established) etc.

p.d87

A friend is entitled to First Group £6 family and friends tickets so we'll give Lumpo a try from Edinburgh to King's Cross next time we're off to the West Country. I hope that they are included in the offer, so far they're not appearing on the dedicated website.
There are first group rovers available but they're not priced £6. A day rover is £14 and a new 3 day lumo only is £21.

Sm5

I like the catering idea, this has potential for expansion…

a Just-eat/Deliveroo style order in advance and get it delivered to your seat..

Christmas

There are first group rovers available but they're not priced £6. A day rover is £14 and a new 3 day lumo only is £21.
You're right. I won't be on Lumo anytime soon then. Avanti, TPE and GWR are still £6 so that's good enough for me.

Christmas

To most people the plug is the thing that you put in the socket.
It's a bit like people who don't know the difference between a nut and bolt. One goes into the other just like plugs go into sockets.

Or people who say that they changed their tyre when they had a flat, when they actually changed the wheel.

But anyway, back to Lumo. It seems that their cheap tickets have sold out for the whole of November.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
The other advantage of filling their trains with cheap fares is that thousands of people will (they hope) realise that the train can be competitive on both price and journey time, and will not only travel again but tell some of their friends and relatives too how good it is.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The other advantage of filling their trains with cheap fares is that thousands of people will (they hope) realise that the train can be competitive on both price and journey time, and will not only travel again but tell some of their friends and relatives too how good it is.

This is indeed a key benefit. Obviously reliability / punctuality is another key part so lets hope they suffer no mishaps / major infrastructure failings in the first few months of running. Of course this is always a risk with any long-distance train of 3+ hours and can't be predicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.