• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

M&S Food at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Manchester Victoria M&S has been closed since March 2020, doesn't look good!
They can reopen almost as quickly as they closed. I would imagine SSP are milking the furlough for all it’s worth.

skyhigh

Established Member
They can reopen almost as quickly as they closed. I would imagine SSP are milking the furlough for all it’s worth.
As far as I'm aware SSP staff were just laid off rather than put on furlough, sadly.

The Leeds one is still shut, it re-opened briefly and then shut again.

skyhigh

Established Member
That’s a shame. I take it their terms & conditions where not good. Zero hours too?
That's what I was told, but it might be wrong. Apparently at Manchester Victoria and Leeds they laid off staff on the day lockdown was announced. Certainly given how they operate as a business, it wouldn't surprise me.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I wonder if the one at Clapham Junction, which is in an adjacent shopping centre, is a non-SSP M&S. A number of these do remain closed however. Manchester Piccadilly Gardens is still closed.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
M&S at stations could have stayed open as an essential retailer but SSP's finances were not great before covid and with rail travel down by up to 90% initially there would have been absolutely no point in trying to soldier on, far better for them to go into hibernation.

The likes of Tesco, Sainsbury's and Co-op all operate large estates of convenience stores but at least they can cross subsidize a loss making unit from their profitable ones. SSP don't have their luxury with their business being totally reliant on shops at transport hubs.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Interesting how supermarket convenience stores are also still closed where relevant. The Sainsbury's Local by Stockport station remains shut. It's still temporary according to the website, unlike their supermarket in town which is closed permanently.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
M&S at stations could have stayed open as an essential retailer but SSP's finances were not great before covid and with rail travel down by up to 90% initially there would have been absolutely no point in trying to soldier on, far better for them to go into hibernation.

The likes of Tesco, Sainsbury's and Co-op all operate large estates of convenience stores but at least they can cross subsidize a loss making unit from their profitable ones. SSP don't have their luxury with their business being totally reliant on shops at transport hubs.

For what it's worth, the M&S Foods at motorway services also scaled back or closed for the actual lockdowns (when it was "essential only"). At most service areas, I believe only the WH Smith (or equivalent) stayed open. I wonder if M&S themselves had scaled back their logistics operations either as a result or leading to that?

Those ones aren't SSP, they are run by the service area operator as a franchise (as is more or less everything else there, except that there are sometimes a few small business units that aren't, often containing a phone shop, vape shop or similar).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
For what it's worth, the M&S Foods at motorway services also scaled back or closed for the actual lockdowns (when it was "essential only"). At most service areas, I believe only the WH Smith (or equivalent) stayed open. I wonder if M&S themselves had scaled back their logistics operations either as a result or leading to that?

Those ones aren't SSP, they are run by the service area operator as a franchise (as is more or less everything else there, except that there are sometimes a few small business units that aren't, often containing a phone shop, vape shop or similar).
Slightly different situation at a motorway service area as the operator's contract with the DfT specifies a certain level of service that has to be provided 24/7.

That said with traffic on the roads going through the floor (in the first lock down at least), it's easy to see why they would have scaled back as much as they could, or close if they could get away with it. M&S at most motorway service areas isn't exactly high volume at the best of times.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Interesting how supermarket convenience stores are also still closed where relevant. The Sainsbury's Local by Stockport station remains shut. It's still temporary according to the website, unlike their supermarket in town which is closed permanently.

I noticed the Spar shop at Plymouth station has closed

-----

There is a Tesco Express at New Street? That's news to me *adds to memory files for future use*

------------

I reckon there will be some station shops which won't reopen, i.e. the likes of Reading which has multiple WH Smiths branches dotted across the station. Mix of being poor performing before Covid and lack of cash flow.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is a Tesco Express at New Street? That's news to me *adds to memory files for future use*

It's upstairs in the shopping centre. There's been one there for years, even pre-refurb. There's also a Maccys out on the ramp if you want a greaseburger and don't want to pay the outrageous price Five Guys want for them.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's upstairs in the shopping centre. There's been one there for years, even pre-refurb. There's also a Maccys out on the ramp if you want a greaseburger and don't want to pay the outrageous price Five Guys want for them.

I knew about the Maccies, it has come in handy in the past when I've had early starts from New Street to grab something to eat.

fgwrich

Established Member
Waterloo is open but looking a complete mess.
Reading is still closed
Reading is an SSP one and closed last year. I'm not surprised it hasn't re-opened though, it wasn't the most looked after of buildings and the ceiling used to leak when it rained outside (An impressive feature given that it's a building located within the 1970s shopping arcade part of the station) - but then again so does the roof of that part of the station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Reading is an SSP one and closed last year. I'm not surprised it hasn't re-opened though, it wasn't the most looked after of buildings and the ceiling used to leak when it rained outside (An impressive feature given that it's a building located within the 1970s shopping arcade part of the station) - but then again so does the roof of that part of the station.

Created a spin-off to discuss why that bit was left in such a state:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I believe the Man Vic one is being replaced by something else !

Not massively surprising - I used it a couple of times, but it always seemed quiet.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Cambridge hass been shut since hostilities started.
Unless I'm mistaken, almost all food and drink sellers on Cambridge station have been shut for the duration. M&S at Liverpool Street was still shut last week but most other places were open. At LST there is a Tesco Metro just over the road. Not as good as M&S but perfectly acceptable.

dk1

Veteran Member
Unless I'm mistaken, almost all food and drink sellers on Cambridge station have been shut for the duration. M&S at Liverpool Street was still shut last week but most other places were open. At LST there is a Tesco Metro just over the road. Not as good as M&S but perfectly acceptable.
AMT has been open at times near platform 5/6. If it wasn’t for Sainsbury’s, Pret, Nero & the caravan outside we would have been royally stuffed at Cambridge.

Bikeman78

Established Member
AMT has been open at times near platform 5/6. If it wasn’t for Sainsbury’s, Pret, Nero & the caravan outside we would have been royally stuffed at Cambridge.
Thanks. I like AMT coffee. I normally buy one at LST before setting out. Hopefully the Cambridge one will open again soon.

philosopher

Established Member
Have Network Rail or whoever else owns the stations kept rents the same as normal and if the units have been temporarily closed, are they still paying full rents?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Have Network Rail or whoever else owns the stations kept rents the same as normal and if the units have been temporarily closed, are they still paying full rents?

No on two counts.

1) I think the rent was waived in the early part of lockdown at least (for the NR managed stations)

2) many station retail units are on ‘turnover rent’, ie a proportion of the rent is related to the turnover the unit generates. If it is closed, then that is clearly nil.

Status
Not open for further replies.