• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Matt LeBlanc and 4 others join Top Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExRes

Established Member
Am I allowed a smile at the constant "he's childish and Neanderthal" comments about Clarkson when this forum has brought so many comments about one aspect of Sabine Schmitz?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minilad

Established Member
Am I allowed a smile at the constant "he's childish and Neanderthal" comments about Clarkson when this forum has brought so many comments about one aspect of Sabine Schmitz?

I would suggest there is a world of difference from finding someone attractive and being an arrogant aggressive racist with temper issues

Abpj17

Does it really matter where he lives? I suspect given his love for cars, what the BBC are paying Matt is significantly less than his full earning potential. You also need to remember how global an audience Top Gear has - it makes sense not to be all white english men (even if that was part of why the original three worked).

Of the three I’ve seen and I imagine may be the studio core - Chris, Matt and Eddie - they all have strong personalities and sense of humour and love their cars Surely that has to be the heart of the show? (I’d assert the majority of the audience are watching it as entertainment, not as reviews - as others have said, TV/format simply isn’t the way to get detailed reviews now)

miami

Established Member
People will work for the BBC, and certainly a global brand like Top Gear, for less, because they can use it to raise their profile globally.

I believe Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli worked both Strictly Dancing in the UK and Dancing with stars in the US at the same time (and Len did a Radio2 show too), and were commuting weekly between LA and London. Len certainly is older than Matt Le Blanc (I guess Bruno is a dancer?), and it's only for a couple of months.

ExRes

Established Member
It's so refreshing to know that Top Gear has moved on from the Clarkson years and there won't be any need for unreserved apologies to be made for thoughtless and disrespectful stunts

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It's so refreshing to know that Top Gear has moved on from the Clarkson years and there won't be any need for unreserved apologies to be made for thoughtless and disrespectful stunts

I suppose that is a "tongue in cheek" response to what Chris Evans was heard making an apology about this morning on the BBC Breakfast Programme about some Top Gear childish matter where the Cenotaph was referred to.

pemma

Veteran Member
I suppose that is a "tongue in cheek" response to what Chris Evans was heard making an apology about this morning on the BBC Breakfast Programme about some Top Gear childish matter where the Cenotaph was referred to.

Le Blanc was filmed 'driving doughnuts' around the Cenotaph, Evans has said that was disrespectful and it shouldn't be shown on TV. When Clarkson drove around the Falklands Argentina with the registration F982 FKL he refused to accept they did anything wrong even though members of the production team feared for their lives after an angry mob attacked them as they were trying to leave Argentina. (The 3 presenters left via an alternative route at a different time.)

Apparently Le Blanc's actions were distributing George Osborne as he was working on Wednesday's budget!

Last edited by a moderator:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When Clarkson drove around the Falklands with the registration F982 FKL he refused to accept they did anything wrong even though members of the production team feared for their lives after an angry mob attacked them as they were trying to leave Argentina. (The 3 presenters left via an alternative route at a different time.)

If he had been driving around the Falklands there wouldn't have been an issue. Further I was rather under the impression that the numberplate in question had always been on the vehicle and this was the only vehicle of the type desired that could actually be found and was suitable for what they wanted to do.

As for the current fracas I must admit it all feels like rather a storm in a tea cup to me.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Wow the first episode hasn't even been broadcast and it's already created controversy!

pemma

Veteran Member
If he had been driving around the Falklands there wouldn't have been an issue.

Corrected that.

Further I was rather under the impression that the numberplate in question had always been on the vehicle and this was the only vehicle of the type desired that could actually be found and was suitable for what they wanted to do.

It was really Clarkson refusing to admit they did anything wrong or should have done anything differently that I was getting at, even with hindsight. The production team didn't get away safely like he did, is Clarkson incapable of making a comment like "If I realised what would happen I'd have arranged for a different number to be transferred to that car", or maybe he genuinely didn't care as he got off OK?

I seem to recall a Top Gear producer saying in an interview that in a debrief he said he told BBC management the car in question was acquired with that registration but BBC management didn't seem to believe him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Well going by the adverts on the BBC, the new series starts this coming Sunday.

Anybody going to be watching it to see how Top Gear "Version 2016" pans out?

miami

Established Member
The New Top Gear doesn't start until Autumn.

"The Joey and Chris Ego Show" starts on Sunday. I don't hold out much hope, but I suspect they're hoping it will attract a good proportion of new people, accepting that those who want Clarkson and Co will be watching amazon come September.

Railops

Well going by the adverts on the BBC, the new series starts this coming Sunday.

Anybody going to be watching it to see how Top Gear "Version 2016" pans out?

I couldn't watch anything with Chris Evans in it so definitely not.
Now it's been revealed that Evans and LeBlanc use stunt drivers when they can't do the harder driving makes it ridiculous.
I will be watching the genuine version later in the year.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
The New Top Gear doesn't start until Autumn.

The Grand Tour on Amazon will be hosted from a tent in a different country each episode. It'll be more like a Top Gear spin off designed to appeal to a worldwide audience, while Top Gear was designed to appeal to a British audience even if it did all right internationally.

You could argue post-2002 Top Gear wasn't Top Gear as it didn't follow the original format or retain the original presenters as as for Top of The Pops....

jon0844

Veteran Member
I couldn't watch anything with Chris Evans in it so definitely not.

Much as I generally dislike him, but will still give the show a chance this Sunday, I did respect him for saying the other day that he, and others, get paid too much.

Harbornite

Established Member
Top Gear hasn't been that bad in my opinion! Twitter is mainly being negative about it.

Harbornite

Established Member
Apart from Evans being a bit over enthusiastic I concur - Leblanc has drawn a blank though (with me at least).

They both weren't bad. I'll keep on watching both it and the Grand tour when that comes out in Autumn.

Domh245

Established Member
I thought that on the whole, it wasn't bad. The studio sections were probably the weakest link to be honest, Evans just needs to tone down the shouting a bit. It's also interesting to see that they look to be splitting it up slightly, the main program being ever more focused on entertainment and "Extra Gear" being a more technical and news-y program (with a forced interview with a comedian - why?!?)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The films were fine and I did enjoy the London to Blackpool segment very much. But the studio stuff with Evans was shockingly bad. Very cringe worthy in my opinion. Le Blanc was fine and I did enjoy a few of his quips.

Hopefully the studio bits will get better as they go on.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
The films were fine and I did enjoy the London to Blackpool segment very much. But the studio stuff with Evans was shockingly bad. Very cringe worthy in my opinion. Le Blanc was fine and I did enjoy a few of his quips.

Thats because, according to somebody I was tweeting to who was at the first episode taping, Evans took 20 takes to get one line out! Same person also mentioned that the Stig intro was not the one that was taped when they were there, so already some fiddling going on... Also, did anybody pick up on the audio level changes whenever the audience was clapping and cheering? There was, according to audacity (an audio program for those that wonder) there was a 8% drop compared to the rest of the show

pemma

Veteran Member
Same person also mentioned that the Stig intro was not the one that was taped when they were there, so already some fiddling going on...

That's not uncommon on TV programs. I went to a filming of one episode of John Bishop's Britain a few years ago and not only did they use a couple of minutes of filming from episode 5 during episode 6 when it was aired, they even showed episode 5's audience during episode 6.

Also, did anybody pick up on the audio level changes whenever the audience was clapping and cheering? There was, according to audacity (an audio program for those that wonder) there was a 8% drop compared to the rest of the show

I imagine the studio audience were all fed up by the time they left. Evans or a producer must have controlled their clapping, cheering and chanting a lot more than under the old Top Gear.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I didn't get why they gave Le Blanc an unreliable vehicle, which couldn't be expected to reach Blackpool. I would have thought they would have found two vehicles in similar condition and made it more a race.

Did anyone else find it strange that Evans didn't really talk to the guests about how they found driving the Mini or the new revised course?

miami

Established Member
I went to a taping of proper top gear about 10 years ago, and it went very smoothly. But they'd been doing it for years at that point. Hopefully it will get better with practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.