• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2019 timetable changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
Looks like these via-Stone services are actually limited stop between Wolverhampton and New Street, not all stations as suggested earlier.

However some asymmetry in the calling patterns of down and up which seems a little strrange, compare the down and up Rugeley services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The speeding up of the Euston - Crewe via Trent Valley service is very impressive, running via Weedon and Madeley the xx46 Euston arrives Crewe at xx53 in 2 hours 7 mins.

That must be pretty comparable to what was achieved on fast Intercity West Coast services pre-Pendolino/West Coast Upgrade?

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Interestingly (to me, anyway) the "Fast" Crewe-Euston will use platform 7 at Crewe, with the Shrewsbury moved to 8. The "Slow" Crewe-Birmingham-Euston will use platform 4, with the Derby moving to 3.

This will be the first regular scheduled daytime use of Platform 8 at Crewe in many years-indeed possibly at all. Currently only sees occasional use in disruption or very early/late trains

That must be pretty comparable to what was achieved on fast Intercity West Coast services pre-Pendolino/West Coast Upgrade?

yep, IIRC most pre-pendolino services were timed over 2 hours to Crewe, with just the odd one a minute or two under if non-stop

cle

Established Member
The Trent Valley and 110 improvements have actually been a low-key, very underrated enhancement to the network.

Pre-VHF fast trains to Tamworth and Lichfield were sporadic (I know that Nuneaton had the Liverpools as standard) - but these are almost as fast, especially via Weedon, more regular and have brought places like Rugeley and Atherstone direct London services. Stone too previously. Plus lower cost options for Stafford and Crewe.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I wonder how many train services will be added to the system and then removed when it's found they won't be running. This happened with the North Downs Line services last year.

It comes across as people were under pressure to get stuff done so they inputted what they were given and then later it was found that couldn't be done so they had to take it out again.

Unless there really were plans to run trains at more substually different times to now.

Last edited:

Established Member
The new LNWR timetable would require a full compliment of 319s to run the local London services between London Euston and Tring / Milton Keynes Central, surely? Otherwise where are all the 350s coming from to run these services?

I can imagine WCML South not being happy with the trade offs for 319s being used short term. Looking like some service improvements for Wembley Central upcoming but nothing for Harrow & Wealdstone or Bushey.

sufian123

The new LNWR timetable would require a full compliment of 319s to run the local London services between London Euston and Tring / Milton Keynes Central, surely? Otherwise where are all the 350s coming from to run these services?

I can imagine WCML South not being happy with the trade offs for 319s being used short term. Looking like some service improvements for Wembley Central upcoming but nothing for Harrow & Wealdstone or Bushey.

Extra 10 clss 350/4 coming from TPE. That can be delayed. Your right class 319s will be used more regularly.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
yep, but fair play to WestMidTrains at least they have delivered on what they said they would with only a 6 month delay, much better outcome than on most TOCs recently.

The speeding up of the Euston - Crewe via Trent Valley service is very impressive, running via Weedon and Madeley the xx46 Euston arrives Crewe at xx53 in 2 hours 7 mins.

I hope LNWR continue to offer cheap £12-20 Advance Singles on these services

vlad

This will be the first regular scheduled daytime use of Platform 8 at Crewe in many years-indeed possibly at all. Currently only sees occasional use in disruption or very early/late trains

Interesting. That's the only platform at Crewe I've never used.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Transport for Wales will commence operating between Liverpool Lime Street and Chester with quite a few departures. In addition some trans will extend beyond Chester on Mondays to Saturdays to additionally operate to / from Wrexham General. The TfW departures from Liverpool Lime Street can be found at http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...9/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=AW

In the consultation for the similar intended 2017 changes this was supposedly achieved mainly by ceasing to serve Paignton. Is there any sign of corresponding reductions elsewhere to provide the stock?
RTT shows, at present, that there are still XC trains booked to serve Paignton on 20th May. Probably subject to change of course.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...0/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=XC

It’s schedule to call at the new Worcester station. Subject to change.
Just had a look at the schedules for the Worcester stations. Seems like a good spread of trains will be available for Worcestershire Parkway if all goes to plan - http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/WOP/2019/05/20/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt - with trains continuing to call at Worcester Shrub Hill also - http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/WOS/2019/05/20/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt - but I thought Shrub Hill was planned to close once the new Worcestershire Parkway station opened? I may be wrong.

Dave

Last edited:

sufian123

Transport for Wales will commence operating between Liverpool Lime Street and Chester with quite a few departures. In addition some trans will extend beyond Chester on Mondays to Saturdays to additionally operate to / from Wrexham General. The TfW departures from Liverpool Lime Street can be found at http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...9/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=AW

RTT shows, at present, that there are still XC trains booked to serve Paignton on 20th May. Probably subject to change of course.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...0/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=XC

Just had a look at the schedules for the Worcester stations. Seems like a good spread of trains will be available for Worcestershire Parkway if all goes to plan - http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/WOP/2019/05/20/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt - with trains continuing to call at Worcester Shrub Hill also - http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/WOS/2019/05/20/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt - but I thought Shrub Hill was planned to close once the new Worcestershire Parkway station opened? I may be wrong.

Dave

Paignton services won’t be stopped due to local council involved and put a stop to it. Paignton services remain the same.

Established Member
As part of LNRs uselessness, the important local market from Watford to Leighton that was a consistent 4tph pre-VHF is now reduced to hourly in the evening peak and that “relies” on the Southern service as LNR have provided a gap form 1610 to 1743. Meanwhile the 1630 x Euston goes fast to Tring. Clowns.

Last edited:

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The Trent Valley and 110 improvements have actually been a low-key, very underrated enhancement to the network.

Pre-VHF fast trains to Tamworth and Lichfield were sporadic (I know that Nuneaton had the Liverpools as standard) - but these are almost as fast, especially via Weedon, more regular and have brought places like Rugeley and Atherstone direct London services. Stone too previously. Plus lower cost options for Stafford and Crewe.

Indeed, this service has been marvellous. The fact it is changing now is because it is a victim of its own success! Longer trains are needed. It just shows what can be achieved with a good service at a good price!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s the Manchester tonbridtol trains extended to exter using the same number of trains. They have plans to increase number of HSTs to Plymouth to free up voyagers.
Extending Manchester to Bristol trains to Exeter using the “same number of trains” is impossible, unless they currently sit at Bristol for long enough - they’d need a spare hour? That was the reason for the question I raised yesterday.

Creating extended services before the entire HST fleet is available seems premature, all previous discussions suggest having 5 sets available by May is highly unlikely.

sufian123

Extending Manchester to Bristol trains to Exeter using the “same number of trains” is impossible, unless they currently sit at Bristol for long enough - they’d need a spare hour? That was the reason for the question I raised yesterday.

Creating extended services before the entire HST fleet is available seems premature, all previous discussions suggest having 5 sets available by May is highly unlikely.

The ones starting at Bristol remains the same.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea.../05/20/1042?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=XC

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

sufian123

They aren’t the same over the whole day when I just checked. There’s 7 before and 5 after the May timetable change. There are two more northbound services that start from Exeter in the evening.

One is missing 1600 Bristol to man. It shows it’s going to Paignton in the morning. Mon-fridays anyway.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Off memory, they have around a 50 minute sit at Bristol, before heading back to Manchester. So not enough time to get to Exeter and back! I can see how (possibly) they only need one extra train, but they still need one extra. I guess the other alterations could possibly achieve it? The 09:35 Penzance-Manchester now becomes 10 minutes earlier and goes to Dundee. But the Man train starts at Plymouth at the current time, so I don't really see what savings have been made there? The afternoon departure from Paignton (around 14:00) to Manchester appears to be missing on RTT. But that could be an error-as the inbound working is still there!

sufian123

Off memory, they have around a 50 minute sit at Bristol, before heading back to Manchester. So not enough time to get to Exeter and back! I can see how (possibly) they only need one extra train, but they still need one extra. I guess the other alterations could possibly achieve it? The 09:35 Penzance-Manchester now becomes 10 minutes earlier and goes to Dundee. But the Man train starts at Plymouth at the current time, so I don't really see what savings have been made there? The afternoon departure from Paignton (around 14:00) to Manchester appears to be missing on RTT. But that could be an error-as the inbound working is still there!

Okay. I didn’t notice that. I guess time will tell. As XC where planning extensions to Exeter for some time now.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Okay. I didn’t notice that. I guess time will tell. As XC where planning extensions to Exeter for some time now.

Yes, that was all (?) the current Manchester-SouthWest trains going to Exeter. Although extending the Bristol terminators, it would curtail the Paignton/Plymouth/Penzance ones to create the trains for it. They appear to have kept those and still extended a couple of the Bristol ones.

sufian123

Yes, that was all (?) the current Manchester-SouthWest trains going to Exeter. Although extending the Bristol terminators, it would curtail the Paignton/Plymouth/Penzance ones to create the trains for it. They appear to have kept those and still extended a couple of the Bristol ones.

I think reason for that is Paignton ones were to be withdrawn in this favour. The local council and MPs objected. This is why it’s been delayed for that long. XC had to do it without effecting the Paignton services mainly.

TheBigD

Established Member
At present the Voyager that arrives in to Bristol from Manchester around 1310 is attached to the 1330 to Dundee. From May it goes to Exeter instead and thus provides the extra voyager for the Exeter extensions.

I assume that the current 1330 Bristol to Dundee (1125 Plymouth - Dundee) becomes a 5 car voyager throughout instead of a 4 car with another 4 car attached at Bristol.

Status
Not open for further replies.