• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

smtglasgow

What a mess. Can't see the peak fares working. Punters won't care about the reasons for the losses on the X23, they'll just feel ripped off - with good reason. First's Network 4 week is £69, so £100 is just madness.

Things are clearly in a bad way in Mcgills-land. And to think that a couple of years ago we thought they were going for world domination.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sadsmileyface

I've never been on a 23/x23, can anyone actually confirm whether they are that busy?

The peak services in the morning sure are. It was less noticeable when they ran them as double deckers but they started randomly running them as singles about a year ago. They only seat about 35 or so, then you get about a dozen people standing. More often than not, they end up running past half the stops because you can’t get anyone else on. The singles are equally unpleasant from 3pm onwards too. They’re just too small for a 60 minute journey.

Pulled some images from Twitter of a double and single, not my own pics.

Attachments

• 06C66DFC-92F9-4082-864F-BD299AD97836.jpeg
    06C66DFC-92F9-4082-864F-BD299AD97836.jpeg
    544.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 71E44910-C44C-4CFE-AC19-4F9F9CECC18A.jpeg
    71E44910-C44C-4CFE-AC19-4F9F9CECC18A.jpeg
    533.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
If I was First or Stagecoach etc I would keep an every close eye on this route and maybe try an X23...

Gingerbus1991

The peak services in the morning sure are. It was less noticeable when they ran them as double deckers but they started randomly running them as singles about a year ago. They only seat about 35 or so, then you get about a dozen people standing. More often than not, they end up running past half the stops because you can’t get anyone else on. The singles are equally unpleasant from 3pm onwards too. They’re just too small for a 60 minute journey.
Say a 20 Minute frequency for the x23 during the morning with a supplemented 23 in between, but off peak the 23 terminates at the QEUH Or is that similar to the situation just now?

Surely anyone going to the city centre will take the x-bus

It sounds as though they are potentially opening themselfs up for competition.

Sadsmileyface

It seems that they’ve also stated at the meeting that other travel cards such as Zonecards will no longer be valid on peak x23’s- you have to buy their own products.

overthewater

Established Member
More details have appeared

Having attended the McGill's Drop In. See info below. The XP23 will have two services; one that will leave depot in Inchinnan towards Erskine, and another that will leave depot go towards Renfrew (Constituents in Inchinnan can board either). McGill's stating there will be an increased cost for this service although McGill's have not yet got a price to share. Once we have any further details of this we will publish the information.
The 23 will not have any price increase at any time of day. There will be a slight change to the wait time once it gets to Braehead; waiting 15 minutes instead of 10 minutes. The route for the 23 is unchanged.
All routes will be getting new buses.

51454905_1018929141648615_5911620435350388736_n.jpg 51596341_1018929161648613_7726881860424302592_n.jpg

PLEASE SHARE: UPDATE McGill’s X23/23 Service

McGill’s have confirmed the X23 and 23 services will continue, with new coaches replacing the older buses currently used on the route.

There will also now be a new peak service called the XP23. This will offer separate services from Erskine and Renfrew to Glasgow. A service will run direct from Erskine to Glasgow, joining the M8 at junction 30. A separate service will run from Inchinnan to Renfrew and then onto Glasgow via the M8. X23 buses arriving full at Renfrew has become a major issue for users of the service, and I hope these changes will help address this.

There are proposals to increase prices ONLY on the new peak service to £7, weekly tickets to £30 and monthly tickets to £100. The prices on the other services on the route will remain the same. I am sure most peak users would happily pay a small increase for a better service, but not these proposed fees. I will be making further contact with the McGill’s management to ask them to reconsider this.

I would like to personally thank the 1,621 people who replied to the survey I launched. This has helped me fully understand some of the preferences of my constituents who use the service and allowed me to represent this to McGill’s

In the survey 90% of those who board at Erskine said they would be in favour of the peak X23 service joining the M8 at Erskine direct to Glasgow, with 55% of Renfrew users in favour of the service starting at Inchinnan and not Erskine. I am pleased McGill’s have listened to the views of users in regard to this.

68% of users ranked buses being on time as their No1 issue, with 90% placing it in their top two preferences. I hope the new buses McGill’s have ordered will play a part in making the services more reliable, however, I will be monitoring this and raising it with the company if it continues to be an issue.

Other feedback from the survey highlighted that X23/23 evening users are less satisfied with the service than those who use it at other times of the day. I have asked McGill’s what they can do to improve this.

Erskine users are also less satisfied with the service than those who board at Renfrew or Inchinnan. I hope the plan to allow Erskine X23 users to join the M8 at junction 30 will help address this.

All those to replied to the survey and supplied their address or e-mail have received a copy of the data. If you did not supply your details and wish this information, please e-mail me [email protected] and I will happily send this to you and keep you updated.

I know there will be concerns over these changes and how they will be implemented. I will monitor this and raise any issues with McGill’s as and when they arise.

sannox

McGill's are taking the michael there with the fares.

If the X23 doesn't work, do a couple of peak runs Erskine to Glasgow. Scrap the short run 23s and make all of them Glasgow-Govan-Renfrew-Erskine every 10/15mins.

The fares are what well over what Linwood/Houston pays for example to Glasgow on fast routes.

Indeed may be better value to just offer a bus/train fare and shuttle passengers to Bishopton!

overthewater

Established Member
During the meeting, one man was ejected after calling McGill's chiefs "lying, scumbag b******s." :E:lol::lol::lol:

https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/news/...rewshire-passengers-hit-out-at-fare-increase/

McGill's: 'You are holding us to ransom' - Renfrewshire passengers hit out at fare increase
Exclusive by Jack Haugh @jackmhaugh
9383112.jpg

EXCLUSIVE
'You are holding us to ransom' - passengers hit out at McGill's fare increase

0 comment

BUS bosses have been accused of "holding passengers to ransom" after it emerged fares on a crucial Renfrewshire route are to nearly double.

At another fiery public meeting in Renfrew last night, McGill's chiefs revealed long-awaited proposals for the X23 and 23 services, which link Renfrew, Inchinnan and Erskine with Glasgow.

Nearly 100 people were at the Normandy Hotel to hear McGill's managing director Ralph Roberts outline plans to increase prices on the X23 from £4.50 to £7 for a day ticket, from £18.50 to £30 for a weekly ticket and from £61.50 to £100 for a monthly ticket.

READ MORE: McGill's services future remains unclear as 1,600 respond to survey

Mr Roberts, who was joined by McGill's head of services Colin Napier, said there would be no increase to off-peak prices – after 9am – and no changes to the 23 service.

9398561.jpg
Ralph Roberts, McGill's MD, took questions at the meeting

The service will offer greater capacity at peak times, with 16 journeys instead of the current 12.

There will also be the introduction of a new fleet, costing approximately £180,000 per bus.

However, passengers hit out at McGill's chiefs over the price rises, with one woman accusing them of "daylight robbery."

One irate passenger who attended the meeting told The Gazette: "We are being held to ransom by a company that, in my opinion, is not interested in serving the community.

4722703.jpg

Gavin Newlands, Paisley and Renfrewshire North MP, was in attendance at the meeting

"They only want to fill their coffers, with the people of Renfrewshire left with no other choice but to pay these abhorrent prices.

"Surely this cannot be allowed to happen?"

Unlike other towns in Renfrewshire, neither Renfrew nor Erskine has a train station – and the X23 and 23 are the only bus services to Glasgow.

At the heated meeting, passengers of all ages and from across Renfrewshire questioned the need for such large price increases.

One woman said: "The ones who use the service the most are the ones who are being penalised."

During the meeting, one man was ejected after calling McGill's chiefs "lying, scumbag b******s."

9398556.jpg
Around 100 people packed into the meeting

Several passengers hit out at the new £7 fee for a day ticket, pointing out that it was almost as much as the national minimum wage, which stands at £7.83 per hour for those aged 25 or over.

READ MORE: McGill's bosses confirm cancellation of another Renfrewshire route

Mr Roberts put himself in the firing line by answering questions from the audience.

And he insisted there is no alternative to significant price rises if the service is to survive.

Mr Roberts told the meeting: "I am in a corner with this. The only other thing we can do is to raise prices across the network to subsidise the route."

Gingerbus1991

Pulled some images from Twitter of a double and single, not my own pics.
Im guessin the decker photo, the up stair was full as well.

Gingerbus1991

And not even that fast- the x23 is still over an hour for a 15 mile journey.
If the government/local authority could install 40mph hard shoulder bus lanes on the motorway for the x23 it would certainly help.
Wouldnt be a first 38 though? All 9s perhaps?
personally operating it as 9 I think would be the better choice but on the same route as mcgills 38 Spateston/Kilbarchan to Glasgow via Paisley given that a 8 minute frequency could be maintained with long wheelbase Deckers on route.

I wonder what the combined operating cost is from McGills 38 and Firsts 9, if only one of them operated the route if First were to take ownership of McGills, I could even see a Double-Door/Conductor service.

Last edited:

KGGXXXY

People will vote with their feet:
Anyone who offers a cheaper similar timetable service to the x23, (First, Stageoach or WCM) could be on to an easy win a captive audience with no train service.

for example: I live on the 9/38 corridor in Glasgow and although the 9 is run by older not as well presented buses (most of the time) there's a reason why fare paying passengers will board a standing room only First 9/10 into the City Centre and let a McGills 38 pass with plenty of seats.
Higher single fare and lack of connections in Glasgow if they purchase a day ticket (similar price on both services IIRC) the cheap 9 day ticket also plays a factor to most people.

Mcgills 38 new Citaros are a pleasure to travel on, but money talks.

overthewater

Established Member
Makes you wonder if Stagecoach would extend the X19 to Breahead? It would be rather easy to chip away Mcgill opeations around the Glasgow area. First could always try an X9 Same as X8 to Silverburn then down to Barrhead.
If bus lane was put on the M8 many other services would benefit.

Gingerbus1991

People will vote with their feet:
Anyone who offers a cheaper similar timetable service to the x23, (First, Stageoach or WCM) could be on to an easy win a captive audience with no train service.

for example: I live on the 9/38 corridor in Glasgow and although the 9 is run by older not as well presented buses (most of the time) there's a reason why fare paying passengers will board a standing room only First 9/10 into the City Centre and let a McGills 38 pass with plenty of seats.
Higher single fare and lack of connections in Glasgow if they purchase a day ticket (similar price on both services IIRC) the cheap 9 day ticket also plays a factor to most people.

Mcgills 38 new Citaros are a pleasure to travel on, but money talks.
First could make an ace of the route with buying some of the same 13.2m buses as delaine/ECB’s have.

(Photo borrowed from Google Images)

Attachments

• CA0D40A5-026E-44DE-AB78-226C106CA23B.jpeg
    CA0D40A5-026E-44DE-AB78-226C106CA23B.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 51

Gingerbus1991

If the government/local authority could install 40mph hard shoulder bus lanes on the motorway for the x23 it would certainly help.

personally operating it as 9 I think would be the better choice but on the same route as mcgills 38 Spateston/Kilbarchan to Glasgow via Paisley given that a 8 minute frequency could be maintained with long wheelbase Deckers on route.

I wonder what the combined operating cost is from McGills 38 and Firsts 9, if only one of them operated the route if First were to take ownership of McGills, I could even see a Double-Door/Conductor service.
Out of curiousity is anyone good with PVR numbers, if the 38 operated with deckers on an 8 minute frequency, what would the peak PVR be?

alangla

Do McGills still carry conductors on their peak 38s? Do they still have ex-London citaro bendies for these runs?

KGGXXXY

First could make an ace of the route with buying some of the same 13.2m buses as delaine/ECB’s have.

definitely or just some plain ol run of the mill deckers especially on the 9A, never understood why the 9/A is mostly singles.

I think hell would freeze over first before anyone attempts to put a bus lane on the M8.
But an extension to the X19 I've thought that would be a go'er, even if it was alternate buses or an extra journey, that fast link is chronically underused and would more than likley be quicker than a journey via the M8 at rush hour.

Gingerbus1991

Do McGills still carry conductors on their peak 38s? Do they still have ex-London citaro bendies for these runs?
Ive not seen a bendy in glasgow for years, They did have conductors for a while at busy times, not sure if they still do.

route101

Established Member
Never knew they had conductors on the 38s.
I think the 9 lacks deckers because Scotstoun lacks them , was one on today

smtglasgow

or example: I live on the 9/38 corridor in Glasgow and although the 9 is run by older not as well presented buses (most of the time) there's a reason why fare paying passengers will board a standing room only First 9/10 into the City Centre and let a McGills 38 pass with plenty of seats.

I’d imagine First and Stagecoach are watching things with interest. McGills aren’t going anywhere, but they’re definitely weaker than they’ve ever been. I’m guessing that all this activity (Barrhead, the 907 and now the X23) means that this year’s accounts might show a loss – they’ve been on a downward trajectory over the last few years.

Interesting comment about the 9/38. I was in Paisley yesterday and I was surprised to see how busy the 9 was heading towards Glasgow. The 38 running every 5 mins is just overkill – there isn’t the demand and they’re not driving First off the route. I used to think First would abandon Paisley, but they seem to be holding their own at the Paisley end and get the majority of the business at the Glasgow end.

KGGXXXY

Interesting comment about the 9/38. I was in Paisley yesterday and I was surprised to see how busy the 9 was heading towards Glasgow. The 38 running every 5 mins is just overkill – there isn’t the demand and they’re not driving First off the route. I used to think First would abandon Paisley, but they seem to be holding their own at the Paisley end and get the majority of the business at the Glasgow end.

Again must be affordability, the terminus for the 9 is only a stones throw from Gilmour Street Train Station which is a much quicker journey.
although can't comment on the service myself as I have never used it myself.

CM

The Delaine B8RLE isn't 13.2m, it's just over 12m like other standard length B8RLEs.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Scrap the short run 23s

What I don't understand about the short 23s is that they make the service every ten minutes (Glasgow - Braehead), whereas they could save some resources *and* provide a better service to many passengers if they made the combined 23s every fifteen minutes from Glasgow to Braehead to co-ordinate with the (every fifteen minutes) 26.

But, talking of short workings, First obviously have four 77s per hour terminating at Braehead, ripe for extension into Renfrew (oddly there's no 77 from Glasgow to Renfrew between 17:00 and 18:00) so they could hit McGills without needing to increase the PVR by much (I'm not saying that they will, just that it wouldn't be hard to take a chunk out of one of their markets)

overthewater

Established Member
The thing is 23 was alway every 15mins: http://www.mcgillsbuses.co.uk/resources/site1/General/TT 23 23A Aug 2015.pdf It never got bumped up until the F1 got the chop.

What I don't understand about the short 23s is that they make the service every ten minutes (Glasgow - Braehead), whereas they could save some resources *and* provide a better service to many passengers if they made the combined 23s every fifteen minutes from Glasgow to Braehead to co-ordinate with the (every fifteen minutes) 26.

It doesn't help the peak service since what are the buses going to do?