• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

PaulMc7

Established Member
Totally spot on, could not have put it better myself.

I believe the start of the decline in the Monklands began in 1997 following Stagecoach's assualt in Glasgow, a few months after that began the depot in Airdrie closed along with some service cuts, then about a year later more service cuts when the Lanarkshire services were renumbered into the 2XX series, then a couple of years later more service cuts, to about what is left now, along with the closure of the bus station. First had to concentrate it's resources in Glasgow.

The McGill's cut backs, and also the closure of the depot in Barrhead, all seem to have occured following the begining of the implementation of the LEZ in Glasgow. Coincidence?

I do believe that people in the Monklands couldn't depend on buses before McGill's came along, and as much as they improved the network slightly, the damage had already been done years before and wasn't going to reverse, and by the looks of things is only going to get worse.

Can personally see Mcgills and First being fully of the monklands area within 3/4 years. The smaller companies seem to love operating there at the minute and it's turning into a stronghold for them

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthClyde320

Can personally see Mcgills and First being fully of the monklands area within 3/4 years. The smaller companies seem to love operating there at the minute and it's turning into a stronghold for them

I can't see the 201 ever changing, unless it is to a new company, as it is one of the most profitable routes in Lanarkshire and has won against all of the competition it has faced over the years.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I can't see the 201 ever changing, unless it is to a new company, as it is one of the most profitable routes in Lanarkshire and has won against all of the competition it has faced over the years.

Depends how reliability holds together tbh plus it is a 2 hour plus route. If the competition push it enough I don't think it's 100% secure at that area of the route but between Bellshill and East Kilbride it's always extremely busy. I've got a friend in East Kilbride that works in Coatbridge and he says it's not always particularly busy after Bellshill apart from peak time

route101

Established Member
Depends how reliability holds together tbh plus it is a 2 hour plus route. If the competition push it enough I don't think it's 100% secure at that area of the route but between Bellshill and East Kilbride it's always extremely busy. I've got a friend in East Kilbride that works in Coatbridge and he says it's not always particularly busy after Bellshill apart from peak time

Used to use the service a decade ago between Hamilton and EK . Was pretty unrealiable at times particularly Hamilton to EK . Also dies a death in the evening.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Used to use the service a decade ago between Hamilton and EK . Was pretty unrealiable at times particularly Hamilton to EK . Also dies a death in the evening.

Yeah there's constantly 2 or 3 buses together between Hamilton and EK. Only normal for a 2 hour plus route with a 10min frequency although it's 12mins just now

United buses new 16 service

Bus registration details
  • Registration number
    PM1074566/6
  • Licence Number
    PM1074566
  • Variation number
  • Status
    New
  • Service number.
  • Service type
    Normal Stopping
  • Start point
    Coatbridge, South Circular Road
  • Finish point
    Coatbridge, South Circular Road
  • Via
    Kirkwood
  • Date received
    01 Aug 2019
  • Effective date
    11 Sep 2019
  • End date
  • Supported by subsidies?
    No
  • Local authorities covered by route
  • TAOs covered by route
Registration history
PM1074566/6 0 New Manual 01 Aug 2019 11 Sep 2019

overthewater

Established Member
Totally spot on, could not have put it better myself.

I believe the start of the decline in the Monklands began in 1997 following Stagecoach's assualt in Glasgow, a few months after that began the depot in Airdrie closed along with some service cuts, then about a year later more service cuts when the Lanarkshire services were renumbered into the 2XX series, then a couple of years later more service cuts, to about what is left now, along with the closure of the bus station. First had to concentrate it's resources in Glasgow.

The McGill's cut backs, and also the closure of the depot in Barrhead, all seem to have occured following the begining of the implementation of the LEZ in Glasgow. Coincidence?

I do believe that people in the Monklands couldn't depend on buses before McGill's came along, and as much as they improved the network slightly, the damage had already been done years before and wasn't going to reverse, and by the looks of things is only going to get worse.

It wasn't really to do with the sham Stagecoach assault. In 1997 First come under high amount of investigation, and were in fact order to sell two depot around the Central belt, Strangely around the same time Airdrie was shut and everything was moved to Motherwell, was this a ploy to try and trick someone? ( yes Townhead, Glenbiog, Glenmavis, Thrashbush and Carbore lost their First services) It wasn't until 2000 when First really cut back in Monklands.

One has to wonder what have happened if First were told no matter what but sell two depot.

With Mcgills, most of the fleet going into Glasgow is of a higher standing, however Barrhead Depot was run down and would require alot of pennies to make it good. With the amount of cutbacks in Renfrewshire, a merger was the only sensible way forward. Alot of the crap fleet has left the company.

Last edited:

NorthClyde320

The service work went to both Motherwell and Parkhead depots with the school work going to Cumbernauld depot which also began operating some service work a year later.

NorthClyde320

According to traveline a new service is starting between Dunnon and Gourock to replace the 907

1 bus, with a 3 minute turnaround on the mainland side, and a 10 minute cushion at the ferry terminal. Could be “interesting” for timekeeping. Is there actually any point in this vs a dockside service, maybe using WCM on the Cowal side?

Re. the 907, on a recent journey to/from Dunoon, the driver hinted that the replacement would be to extend the 547 Greenock/McInroys across the water, with 901/906 providing the Greenock/Glasgow link. So the internal grapevine wasn't working too well.

Does anyone know if this replacement for the 907 actually started or was it a wind up, I have never seen it listed on the McGill's website or any pics of vehicles on it?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Does anyone know if this replacement for the 907 actually started or was it a wind up, I have never seen it listed on the McGill's website or any pics of vehicles on it?

Had a look there online to see if there was anything for it. Absolutely nothing at all. Gotta be a wind up because surely someone would have posted something or a news article would have been released by someone

NorthClyde320

Had a look there online to see if there was anything for it. Absolutely nothing at all. Gotta be a wind up because surely someone would have posted something or a news article would have been released by someone

At the time travelinescotland did have a listing & timtable for it as did the andypreece site as I can recall viewing it, but it then seemed to disappear. Strange.

PaulMc7

Established Member
At the time travelinescotland did have a listing & timtable for it as did the andypreece site as I can recall viewing it, but it then seemed to disappear. Strange.

Yeah I vaguely remember the listing on the andypreece site. No idea what went on with it tbh. Not surprise Mcgills didn't replace the 907 though. Seems to just be cut, cut and more cut

Clydeflyer

As a commuter at McInroy's I can tell you it never ever ran... given the delays at the port in the summer it would never have stood a chance sticking to that schedule. Pulling the 907 totally was a mistake. The 907 was much better than a 901 because (i) the Levante's speed limiters were set much higher than the Citaro's so it could shift on the M8 with a clear run and (ii) 901s going into Braehead at the wrong time sometimes take ages to get out again. The 901/906s that leave Glasgow between 4 and 5 are scheduled into Braehead and are the worst for getting stuck - end up anything between 15 and 30 mins down. The Levantes should have stayed to run something like a 901X - no Paisley/Braehead Stop... Stick to main road thru Port Glasgow and Greenock... faster bus to Greenock West End/Gourock/Ferry. Instead they were all taken away for XP23/X23 work which they somehow don't seem suited to in my opinion. I could understand the Dunoon bit having to go... only saw it heading over the water busy on rare occasions.

(Hello BTW, read forum with interest for some time, worked on the buses for a couple of years as a student... Stagecoach in Perth, when they were chasing Strathtay Scottish out of town with a mash-up of Routemasters, new Merc 709s and hand me downs from SBG/NBC/the 'original' Stagecoach Express)

smtglasgow

Is McGills 3 still a standalone service now it works out of Johnstone? Always thought they’d interwork it with something to get the drivers home, but on Friday we were down at Silverburn waiting for the X8 back to town when the 3 came in and changed drivers. Looked to be an estate car being used as a ferry vehicle (some of the SPT routes change drivers here too). Doesn’t seem like the best use of resources – must be about 20-30 mins each way to and from the depot during the day. To be fair to McGills, I saw a few 3’s and they were all busier than I expected, so must be worth their while carrying on.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Seen on the Andypreece site that Mcgills are dropping the 15 already and Citybus are taking it back over but SPT tendered. That lasted long. Feel a bit for people in Baljaffary/Bearsden etc. Must be hard to keep up with who are operating the routes up there

route101

Established Member
Seen on the Andypreece site that Mcgills are dropping the 15 already and Citybus are taking it back over but SPT tendered. That lasted long. Feel a bit for people in Baljaffary/Bearsden etc. Must be hard to keep up with who are operating the routes up there

Yeahs it hard , I noticed JMB operating a tendered service up in EK other day .

McLean coaches have registered a replacement for service 287

New ANDREW JOHN MCLEAN 47 () Airdrie Cross Airdrie Cross

• Registration number
    PM2014327/1
  • Licence Number
    PM2014327
  • Variation number
  • Status
    New
  • Service number.
  • Service type
    Normal Stopping
  • Start point
    Airdrie Cross
  • Finish point
    Airdrie Cross
  • Via
    Carlisle Road, Chapelhall
  • Date received
    06 Aug 2019
  • Effective date
    11 Sep 2019
  • End date
  • Supported by subsidies?
    No
  • Local authorities covered by route
    Strathclyde Partnership for Transport
  • TAOs covered by route
    Scotland
Registration history
Reg No. Var No. Status Application type Date received Date effective End date
PM2014327/1 0 New Manual 06 Aug 2019 11 Sep 2019
Back to topBack to search results

AlexanderPS

Strange choice of number. Was wondering if anyone would step forward for it. Hope it works out for them.

Bus Guru

I wonder when the Mcgill s Public Inquiry will happen ? If was originally planned for July most holidays are over now What is the average time for a rearranged PI after the original postpinement?

NorthClyde320

Strange choice of number. Was wondering if anyone would step forward for it. Hope it works out for them.

If my memory serves me correct the old Chapelhall local service was 246, Salsburgh was 247, Wishaw has mostly been 248 and there was a Law Hospital 249 service.
A relative of mine uses McLean's regularly, clean, tidy and modern fleet with very friendly & helpful drivers.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Is it me that possibly thinks McGills could start stepping onto Stagecoach's turf, particularly in Kilmarnock.

The 337 seems like a bit of a strange route for McGills to run.

ClydeCoaster

The 337 is an SPT tender, that's been run by both Stagecoach and Shuttle Buses in recent years. The starting point in Beith isn't a huge distance from their Johnstone depot, and they already operate through Beith on the 904 to Largs.

Given the retrenchment of McGill's in Monklands, the failed excursion into Dumbartonshire, and the constant cuts in Renfrewshire and Inverclyde, I don't think they'll be stepping onto anyone else's turf any time soon...

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The 337 is an SPT tender, that's been run by both Stagecoach and Shuttle Buses in recent years. The starting point in Beith isn't a huge distance from their Johnstone depot, and they already operate through Beith on the 904 to Largs.

Given the retrenchment of McGill's in Monklands, the failed excursion into Dumbartonshire, and the constant cuts in Renfrewshire and Inverclyde, I don't think they'll be stepping onto anyone else's turf any time soon...

Suppose trying to compete with Stagecoach would be a basic death sentence for them.

PaulMc7

Established Member

Surprised the tenders for the 68/71A/72, 208/218 have remained with Mcgills tbh. Same with the 64/164/364 too. First really didn't hold onto that although they run the rest of the buses in the areas covered by the 3 of them except the 165 tender which is another that is a surprise with Mcgills still holding it