• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

Gingerbus1991

Might have to rename this thread at this rate, most recent service news seems to be cuts. Hardly doubling in size as they promised.
You made me laugh alittle!

I would think my pessimism is a bad thing but from the very start the areas in which mcgills are operating have been in withdrawl for years, I think much of there service withdrals of late are even more to do with cutting cost due to glasgows LEZ!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Mcgill were planning to double in size, but your right there have cut back and back and back.

route101

Established Member
Question . Prior to Arriva takeover what services did McGills operate in Renfrewshire and Glasgow? The 38 im sure as they ordered new buses in 2011.

alangla

Following on from that, how does the current McGills relate to the Leyland National Artic to Barrhead McGills of the 1980s? Apart from the Barrhead operation, which was once part of Arriva, is there a connection?

KGGXXXY

Following on from that, how does the current McGills relate to the Leyland National Artic to Barrhead McGills of the 1980s? Apart from the Barrhead operation, which was once part of Arriva, is there a connection?
IIRC Arriva sold the greenock operations and it still had a licence under the McGills name so it went as part of the deal.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Question . Prior to Arriva takeover what services did McGills operate in Renfrewshire and Glasgow? The 38 im sure as they ordered new buses in 2011.
A batch of SF11-reg Eclipse 2-bodied Volvo B7RLEs (registered SF11 CWJ/K/L/M/P/R/T/U/V & numbered 230-239 prior to the ASW takeover; afterwhich numbered 2230-2239) were indeed ordered/delivered in 2011 for the 38, although these were for when the Dickson's of Erskine operations on that corridor were bought. A significant step-up in passenger comfort from the motley collection of Merc breadvans and elderly Darts that previously held sway!

route101

Established Member
A batch of SF11-reg Eclipse 2-bodied Volvo B7RLEs (registered SF11 CWJ/K/L/M/P/R/T/U/V & numbered 230-239 prior to the ASW takeover; afterwhich numbered 2230-2239) were indeed ordered/delivered in 2011 for the 38, although these were for when the Dickson's of Erskine operations on that corridor were bought. A significant step-up in passenger comfort from the motley collection of Merc breadvans and elderly Darts that previously held sway!

Was that the first route McGills had into the city ? Bit confused i seen a vid of McGills alx on union st in 2010

Strathclyder

Established Member
Was that the first route McGills had into the city ? Bit confused i seen a vid of McGills alx on union st in 2010
The Clyde Flyers (906 etc.) would've been the first lot of services the current McGill's ran into the city centre, I think. Everything else (X23, X7, 38 & the ex-Arriva routes) followed later.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
The Clyde Flyers (906 etc.) would've been the first lot of services the current McGill's ran into the city centre, I think. Everything else (X23, X7, 38 & the ex-Arriva routes) followed later.

McGills ran the X23 prior to them buying Arriva. It used to run every 10 minutes as well if I remember rightly.

Arriva Fan

This is more a question on McGill's operations.

Does anyone know the PVR for the X7 and 901/906?

I know the X7 was cut back a few months ago, so I assume PVR was reduced. So what happened to the Citaros branded for it? Surely they're not sitting around spare.

Strathclyder

Established Member
It used to use Caetano Darts as well as the ALX400s. The ALX400s used to be used on the 90x routes out to the West Coast.
The Caetano Darts came first (some with route-appropriate branding), the ALX400-bodied Tridents coming later. The last McGill's Trident was withdrawn in December 2016 after the introduction of the Geminis, but I'm not sure when one last appeared on the X23. As far as I can remember, the first Tridents bought (T-reg centre-staircase ex-Metroline examples) primarily worked the 90x express routes out to the West Coast, the newer ones making sporadic appearences.

Observer

seems like mcgills have lost more spt services this time the croy railway station like services

• PM0000015/212 Cancelled
    MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD

Route: Croy Station to Carrickstone via Balloch, Craigmarloch

Service number: 348

Service type: Normal Stopping

Effective date: 12 Jan 2019

• PM0000015/192 Cancelled
    MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD

Route: Croy Station to Kilsyth via Haughton Avenue

Service number: 349

• PM0000015/191 Cancelled
    MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD

Route: Croy Station to Cumbernauld Centre or Greenfaulds via Balloch, Carrickstone

Service number: 403

• PM0000015/190 Cancelled
    MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD

Route: Croy Station to Kilsyth via Twechar

Service number: 344

Stuarts of Carluke are taking them on, as per the registrations today.

overthewater

Established Member
To be fair the depot is a dump, it look rather rundown, with portacabins etc, I'm also surprised Head office had not been fully merged into Greenock especial it was claimed greenock would be shut instead. So someone threats have worked....

It's clear now the company is much smaller than it was when this thread started, and I can't where it can grow. Monklands has been a disaster .

Documents shown to the Evening Times suggest chiefs of the Greenock based firm are set to shut their Barrhead centre with redundancies expected.

Staff at the East Renfrewshire depot would likely be moved onto bases in Johnstone, Greenock, Inchinnan and Coatbridge, but some will lose their jobs.

READ MORE: Shocking scenes as Celtic and Airdrie fans clash outside Scottish Cup tie

McGill's bosses also set out plans to cease head office functions at their Inchinnan, Renfrewshire, depot with staff being relocated to Greenock.

According to the letter sent out to staff, bus bosses are confident 85 per cent of staff will be relocated and the rest may be made redundant.

In the letter, McGill's state: "The companies are not exempt from market forces and when significant revenue reductions take place, savings must be found to balance the books."

The document also revealed the Barrhead depot is in need of significant investment.

It continues: "We are acutely aware of the impact this would have on the business, but we believe that approximately 85 per cent of staff would be offered new roles and relocated to other locations.

"In the event there is no alternative role that could be offered, redundancies may be made."

It's not the first time the transport provider has come under fire for a message relayed to staff via letters.

In September, staff were told that ongoing issues with fares on the company's ticketing app were affecting profit margins.

According to the company's managing director, Ralph Roberts, McGill's experienced a fall in revenue due to adults falsely buying child tickets. Bosses also revealed that ticket fraud was the reason that a pay rise was not awarded to staff in the summer of 2018, despite drivers not directly dispensing these tickets to customers. In a letter to all drivers, he added that it was now down to staff to properly police buying of tickets on the app

McGill's have been contacted for comment by the Evening Times.

smtglasgow

What services work out of Barrhead? Very worrying for the staff, but McGillls are just facing up to the decline in passenger numbers that seems endemic across all West of Scotland operators. First seem to have been quicker to address this via Simplicity and the Parkhead closure. I wonder if McGills choosing not to take up the tenders they won last summer (14, 49, 59) was a realisation that they’ve been bidding too low.

alangla

So are the services continuing to operate or are they offloading the lot? McGills don’t seem averse to long, empty runs given some of the Ring & Ride services in the east end of Glasgow run with I depot code orange Solos

sannox

Barrhead runs the 3, 26 and basically most of the services that locally operate in Paisley.

Suspect most will end up at Inchinnan? Will lead to a bit of mileage for the 3,51,52,54 but nothing outrageous and could work them into depot runs.

Not a huge surprise as others mentioned. Bus usage is falling in the West of Scotland. So many factors, congestion, rail fares, footfall reduction in retail and general reduction in importance of local centres. McGill's do provide a decent service although cash single fares seem high.

Wonder if there is any prospect of combining Johnstone and Inchinnan to one depot in the Paisley area?

Gingerbus1991

I think much of McGills recent changes, withdrawls and depot closures has been significantly associated with the increase in cost from Glasgows LEZ with all the other cost increases and reduced ridership.

BUT! When you compare this to the East Coast many are simply not “wanting” to use the buses here in the west.
Despite Glasgow meaning to be an area which is povertised, absolutely everywhere you look there is a car on ever corner.

smtglasgow

McGills local routes seem to be struggling a bit – Paisley and Greenock town centres have died a death over the last decade. But the express services do well. Surprised they haven’t upgraded the X23. They’ve got a monopoly on Erskine-Glasgow, so a fast bus with high(er) spec buses would do well and maybe get a few people out of their cars.

route101

Established Member
I think much of McGills recent changes, withdrawls and depot closures has been significantly associated with the increase in cost from Glasgows LEZ with all the other cost increases and reduced ridership.

BUT! When you compare this to the East Coast many are simply not “wanting” to use the buses here in the west.
Despite Glasgow meaning to be an area which is povertised, absolutely everywhere you look there is a car on ever corner.

The busy routes in Glasgow are generally the ones to scheme like Castlemilk .In Edinburgh theres not a great network of railways so people have no great alternative .
A lot of new housing outside Glasgow house families that are car dependant with few bus services .