• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Megabus Sleeper Coach Glasgow to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestWestern

Established Member
The Plaxton Interurban was bought in large numbers by Stagecoach for use across the country. It was a low spec version of the Plaxton Premiere which was used widely by National Express in the 90s.

Pedantry Alert!!

NatEx had their own version of the Premiere, called the Expressliner. It was a similar idea to the Interurban, built to NatEx's preferred spec including a vertically split windscreen and their 'double arrow' pattern seating trim. They had their own version of the earlier Paramount which carried the same name, and I believe there was a later version based on the Paragon also. I don't know whether there is a current model Expressliner, but I'd imagine not following the switch to Caetano.

Carry on... ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cambsy

On Moderation
Megabus has just started a budget coach sleeper service with a private berth,tried it last night,the berth was comfortable enough but low headroom,the cost for London-Glasgow maximum with berth is 40,they are looking to expand if popular and have heard plans are for brand new double deckers with factory fitted berths,u also get free coffee or tea,bottle of pop,a croissant in morning with juice,i think with public being cost aware it will put the Scotrail and maybe First Great Western under great pressure as think they will lose a lot of business to the cheaper sleeper coaches,what people think?

starrymarkb

Established Member
Probably not that big threat, a lot of London to Scotland Traffic goes by air, the main rival will be for bargain berths...

pemma

Veteran Member
I agree, not a huge threat. Remember which is quicker between a bus and train.

Speed hardly comes in to context on a sleeper train, in fact a 5 hour journey is a bad journey time for a sleeper while an 8 hour journey time is much better.

marks87

Established Member
A bed on a bus sounds like hell.

I'd much rather take the train, where you can go to the lounge car and relax, or simply wander through 16 coaches to stretch your legs.

route:oxford

Established Member
If the market identifies that people are willing to travel in a micro bunk that is 3 levels high...

Then you should be able to fit at least 18 6ft long similar bunks into a Mk3 sized coach. And a further 18 doubles...

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There's going to be an item on this sleeper on BBC radio 4 sometime between 12 and 1 this afternoon.

NLC1072

I don't know about anyone else but if I can get a fare for a tenner or less I'm going to bash this <D

Yeah me to, perfect for a day of riding around Scotland's railways before getting back on another megabus to go back to work...

Definitely going to do this though at some point!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yeah, it's a headline price!

Just 1 here and there then?

Shame you can't specify flexible dates on the megabus site - I have a day's holiday left to book - would be interested in catching a £1 fare up (so long as I can find some reasonable way back down) in the near future.

radamfi

Established Member
The sleeper service with bunks?

I was lead to believe they started rather higher than that!

I've not seen anything below £15.

Is there a special offer somewhere?

No offer, I just booked as soon as the sleeper service became bookable. £1 fares were only available midweek. I can't see any £1 fares at the moment but they haven't released any new dates for a while so all existing services must have been sold out at the £1 fare. When the dates after 8 January go up on the site there will probably be £1 fares again.

Butts

Veteran Member
No offer, I just booked as soon as the sleeper service became bookable. £1 fares were only available midweek. I can't see any £1 fares at the moment but they haven't released any new dates for a while so all existing services must have been sold out at the £1 fare. When the dates after 8 January go up on the site there will probably be £1 fares again.

Certainly worth a try if you've only paid a quid -you must report back on your journey :p

Status
Not open for further replies.