• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Memories of London Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Why was Kelvin Parade used in Orpington, I think the 477 went there on some journeys and from memory a number of other routes was it just for space reasons? Orpington Station seemed a more natural terminus.
Probably space reasons: some 61s used to terminate at the station, and the peak only 51B. I'm pretty sure Kelvin Parade was only ever used by green buses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Typhoon

Established Member
I'd imagine there was a reverse a.m. working. I've got a few relatively obscure London trolleybus books, but getting a look at them is easier said than done, and there's no guarantee there'd be any more info anyway but I'll have a go at finding out what I can.
Certainly (at least one) a.m. working - presumably like the one in your book. There are unlikely to that many photographs, I don't remember Erith being a hive of photographers (transport or otherwise). I'm afraid my recollections are restricted to watching them through the window of my primary school!
I've looked at a couple of websites but they add nothing.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Certainly (at least one) a.m. working - presumably like the one in your book. There are unlikely to that many photographs, I don't remember Erith being a hive of photographers (transport or otherwise). I'm afraid my recollections are restricted to watching them through the window of my primary school!
I've looked at a couple of websites but they add nothing.
The trouble with websites is that it can be like finding needles in haystacks - there could be something out there somewhere in the most unlikely of places. Especially so with photos, when no text exists that could show up in a search! I do hang on to the memory, though, of finding a photo of the last day of the London trams that had one person framed, the unmistakeable (to me) of my father! That was a relatively recent discovery too. Try as I could to contact the photographer or publisher I had to draw a blank.

Typhoon

Established Member
The trouble with websites is that it can be like finding needles in haystacks - there could be something out there somewhere in the most unlikely of places.
You are right, you are just as likely to find something in, say, someone's recollections of growing up in Plumstead with a vehicle in the background while a little boy and girl wait to cross the road.

I do hang on to the memory, though, of finding a photo of the last day of the London trams that had one person framed, the unmistakeable (to me) of my father! That was a relatively recent discovery too. Try as I could to contact the photographer or publisher I had to draw a blank.
If I see something like that with details, I'll alert you. (Probably wrong photo but hey.) Might be a useful link but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Almost 70 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.