• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail legacy fleet updates (Class 507/508)

Visible in photo are cars from 456003, 360204, other 360s. I'm not sure what the car at the back of the photo is, but I'm pretty sure it's not from a 455/7.

I have 455702 still in service - and it's not included in Siemens Staines' list of units not in service / off-lease / scrapped (post #1,196) either.
Could potentially be 508143.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8J

I'm hearing reports that 508140 is to be withdrawn imminently, also destined for Newport.

prod_pep

Established Member
I'll be amazed if face masked units 508120 and 508131 are amongst the next to go. Both have been overhauled within the last year or so.

Pacef8

It would be interesting to see which trains have been responsible for the recent failures .

Roger B

Deffo MerseyRail unit, has the branding on the front. Elsewhere quoted as 508143.
Presumably it's last day of service was prior to it being taken to Derby for assessment - ie 31st May.

Anyone know it's actual last day of service and/or withdrawal date?

MR-507508

Presumably it's last day of service was prior to it being taken to Derby for assessment - ie 31st May.

Anyone know it's actual last day of service and/or withdrawal date?
Pretty sure 508143's last day of service was 25th May 2022, working the 2347 Liverpool Central to Ormskirk, then ECS to Kirkdale depot.
If I remember correctly it had a fault the following day (presumably on the depot) and did not enter service again.
It was moved to Seaforth Docks on 30th May.

Liverpool 507

Merseyrail management will need to resolve the ASLEF discussions and start training sooner rather than later, with more 507/8s being removed and withdrawn, so there's no service disruption with no 777s introduced.

prod_pep

Established Member
Pretty sure 508143's last day of service was 25th May 2022, working the 2347 Liverpool Central to Ormskirk, then ECS to Kirkdale depot.
If I remember correctly it had a fault the following day (presumably on the depot) and did not enter service again.
It was moved to Seaforth Docks on 30th May.
A big thank you for this. I'm trying to keep a record of the 507/8s' last workings and wasn't sure of 508143's.

karlbbb

Saw 508115 this morning with a nice shiny new piece of equipment on its underbelly. It was a large black round thing but I'm afraid I have no idea what it was :D

God, I'd love to visit Kirkdale TMD and get a guided tour of everything on the underbellys of the 507/508s and the 777s, just to learn what everything is.

D821

It wasn't part of the air suspension, was it? One of the air cushions, perhaps (not sure of the technical term)?

karlbbb

It wasn't part of the air suspension, was it? One of the air cushions, perhaps (not sure of the technical term)?
I don't believe so. It was a large, black, metal cylinder of some variety, mounted longitudinally, close to one of the bogies. I only got a quick glance is it went past in the opposite direction when I was coming down the steps to the platform.

physics34

Established Member
I don't believe so. It was a large, black, metal cylinder of some variety, mounted longitudinally, close to one of the bogies. I only got a quick glance is it went past in the opposite direction when I was coming down the steps to the platform.
Maybe the main reservoir air tank.

MattRat

On Moderation
When you say went past, was it in service or not? If not in service, could be some sort of diagnostic equipment.

karlbbb

6a.png

It's coloured in beige on this image, just below the furthest away passenger door, between the purple and light blue components. (I know this is a 313 but the underpinnings look to be very, very similar)

L401CJF

Established Member
6a.png

It's coloured in beige on this image, just below the furthest away passenger door, between the purple and light blue components. (I know this is a 313 but the underpinnings look to be very, very similar)
Main res air tank I think.

Towers

Established Member
I've always wondered; what's the blue thing that looks like a fuel tank?!

D7672

On Moderation
Sims at Newport docks and a look today and only the centre car in yellow exists.
The rest of it has been scrapped since Friday 3nd September 2022