• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hodor

Does anyone know what tests Metrolink do? is it the dots or shapes - both?

I read someone got 17 right on something when the pass rate was 18, can anyone tell me what that 'something' was? ie what test??

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's shapes not a dot test. Family member who went for this specifically remembers a shape test, a test on warning lights and a simple arithmetic test on the 24hr clock in the style of a timetable. He said he couldn't remember anything else however.

altyplatform

I'm pretty sure it's shapes not a dot test. Family member who went for this specifically remembers a shape test, a test on warning lights and a simple arithmetic test on the 24hr clock in the style of a timetable. He said he couldn't remember anything else however.

Thanks, been practising the dots test with the free software on this site :| back to the drawing board!

I can't make Monday as my work will not allow me the time off so will be letting them know so they put me in the next one whenever that comes around, just hoping I havent scuppered my chances before I've even started :(

Shrimper

From what I can gather they seem to tinker with the process and specific tests for every different intake - when I did the application (2013) it was the SCAAT and a rules test (similar, if not the same as the TRPT used for the railways) on one day, followed by a second assessment day which included climbing into a tram, driving a tram on the depot and a go on the 'simulator'; plus an interview.

There was no arithmetic element, no timetable element and the interview was pretty laid back. However I know several intakes since have done things very differently.

Incidentally, I don't think it is possible to be overqualified any more. When I was there we had a massive range of backgrounds in terms of education and previous careers.

Beeks

My tests were

The valves test
Shapes test
50 words on how you got to work
SIM test
Climbing in and out of a tram
Using the onboard PA

All those were on the same day

I came back for the Interview & Medical

altyplatform

My tests were

The valves test
Shapes test
50 words on how you got to work
SIM test
Climbing in and out of a tram
Using the onboard PA

All those were on the same day

I came back for the Interview & Medical

Thanks Beeks, may I ask how long ago was that? Couple of other questions If you don't mind, what is a valves and SIM test not heard about those but aware of all the other stuff you mentioned.

Did you pass by the way?

Beeks

Thanks Beeks, may I ask how long ago was that? Couple of other questions If you don't mind, what is a valves and SIM test not heard about those but aware of all the other stuff you mentioned.

Did you pass by the way?

This was in November last year

Sorry I meant Dials test..which I think is explained in the train driver sticky in this sub forum

The SIM test is where you use a computer simulator of a short tram drive..they explain what you need to do and how to do it

You can have a go at the SIM at this event

http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_centre/Pages/News.aspx?articleId=1275

I've been a driver since the beginning of January so yeah I passed

Last edited:

altyplatform

This was in November last year

Sorry I meant Dials test..which I think is explained in the train driver sticky in this sub forum

The SIM test is where you use a computer simulator of a short tram drive..they explain what you need to do and how to do it

You can have a go at the SIM at this event

http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_centre/Pages/News.aspx?articleId=1275

I've been a driver since the beginning of January so yeah I passed

Cheers Beeks, very helpful that pal.

Congrats by the way.

Dials test I am aware of and now thinking about it SIM =simulator doh!

I just got of the phone to the chap at Metrolink to explain I can't make Mondays assessment, he just said no problem I'll add you to the next one.

I am not sure If I have what it takes really but I'll give it a go next time round.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Well closing date tomorrow, I wonder how many months this time until I hear back... last time it was like a year until I finally get a rejection :(

altyplatform

Good luck Pal even If you end up pipping me :smile: positive thinking.

A year to get a response then a rejection is :frown:

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thanks 185.

I’m guessing now on heard anything yesterday... I know, that’s wishful thinking

Marlow

Hi all,

I've been invited to an assessment evening at the end of this month for Metrolink (I applied in the latest round that closed 5th October) and have been told to expect only a "concentration test" - does anyone know which test this will likely be? Scaat/dials or a Bourdon/something else perhaps?

Looks like this evening is not as full-on as the full assessment days as it is just the concentration test, maybe they're breaking the process down into more stages due to the number of applicants?

Any info much appreciated :)

And good luck to anyone else that made it past the application stage!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Wow you've heard already... impressive. When did you get the email? Feeling a bit depressed now :oops:

Marlow

Wow you've heard already... impressive. When did you get the email? Feeling a bit depressed now :oops:

I'm sure they've billions of apps to shift through so give it time mate! I sent the application in a week and a half ago and had a call back on weds last week.

Hodor

Hi all,

I've been invited to an assessment evening at the end of this month for Metrolink (I applied in the latest round that closed 5th October) and have been told to expect only a "concentration test" - does anyone know which test this will likely be? Scaat/dials or a Bourdon/something else perhaps?

Looks like this evening is not as full-on as the full assessment days as it is just the concentration test, maybe they're breaking the process down into more stages due to the number of applicants?

Any info much appreciated :)

And good luck to anyone else that made it past the application stage!

I'm in for an assessment tomorrow, it's pretty much all day (unless I fail the first hurdle). Must be trying to break it up perhaps to get through more applicants efficiently. I've been practising a bit of the SCAAT test & researching the company, though I feel totally out of my depth with it as I've never done anything like this before at all! Be an experience if anything though I suppose.

Marlow

I'm in for an assessment tomorrow, it's pretty much all day (unless I fail the first hurdle). Must be trying to break it up perhaps to get through more applicants efficiently. I've been practising a bit of the SCAAT test & researching the company, though I feel totally out of my depth with it as I've never done anything like this before at all! Be an experience if anything though I suppose.

Good luck today Hodor, hope it goes/went well for you! Be interested to hear your experiences of the day.

And could you (or anyone!) point me in the direction of some SCAAT practice please?

TerryTank

Hi all (I recognise a name or two on this thread from the last Metrolink recruitment :lol:),

I have also been invited to an assessment evening the week after next. I'm relieved as I applied last time but after being invited to an assessment day had to withdraw my application due to having to leave the area for a few months shortly afterwards. I'm also very nervous as I desperately want this job!

Marlow, the only SCAAT practice I managed to come across was a Google image or 2 if I searched for it, but there wasn't much at all. I did trawl through a load of old tram driver threads on here though and found lots of useful tips. Hopefully someone has some better advice for you than me!

Hodor

Good luck today Hodor, hope it goes/went well for you! Be interested to hear your experiences of the day.

And could you (or anyone!) point me in the direction of some SCAAT practice please?

Unfortunately I didn't make the grade! The first 2 tests we sat were SCAAT and a memory test, then a written test and a sim test. The piece of advice I'd give is don't let your guard drop. It's easy to get more and more comfortable as you pass each stage, but you forget you are being grilled throughout the whole day, I think that's what caught me out. I might try again in 6 months, but I'm lucky in the fact I have a pretty good job to go back to. Good luck to you though!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Still nothing at all for me :(

I don't know what I can do to make my applications better... what backgrounds are you guys coming from...?

Hodor

I don't know what I can do to make my applications better... what backgrounds are you guys coming from...?

Work on the railway already, within the freight industry. What background are you in if you don't mind me asking? And when I did my application, I just linked my past experiences with what they asked for on the ad plus any other relevant info I felt might help. The people I went in with though were from a variety of different backgrounds.

baz962

Established Member
Friend of mine gave me a spare form he had, filled that in and that was it.

He went to the assessment and failed 'on site' there so he got past the application stage to be fair to him!

I have been reading a few old threads on here like this one http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51223 and it's a little daunting :(

I also had my first go at the Bourbon tool and that was awful :cry:

I think I'll not waste anyone's time unless I can improve!

Perception & Attention:

Targets Omitted ------------ 94
Marked Incorrect ----------- 14

Speed:

Total Cells ---------------- 1435
Mean Cell Time ------------- 0.237
Median Cell Time ----------- 0.150

Completed Rows ------------- 55
Mean Row Time -------------- 5.968
Median Row Time ------------ 5.170

Vigilance:

Row Fluctuation ------------ 7.98

Hi mate to be fair forget the bourdon tool on here, I am not saying it is useful or not but I couldn't do well on it however hard I tried but I printed off paper version's and done much better. A few week's after I passed for gtr to an enhanced standard, you might find paper and pen ones easier but just go for it mate.

GTFO

I'm a class 2 HGV driver. Have been for a few years and worked for years at Bupa in finance.
Never had points, certified by the DVLA as a professional and a squeaky clean tachograph too.
I meet all the criteria to perfection, but still haven't had a reply. I too applied in the most recent vacancy window.
and yes... like most of ya... i'm watching my phone every 5 mins for a call :)

As a lorry driver, we all know someone in the driving industry or someone whos worked virtually anywhere through the agency.
I was told via a good source that the priority for interviews often goes to class 2 drivers and bus drivers as basically.. they meet the desired specification.
Mainly cuz we have the long concentration skills, work on our own and adhere to strict rules.

Class 1 drivers and train drivers are apparently over qualified for the trams.

I am baffled... just like Martin on here how i've not had the phone call yet like others.
I too know of people who seem to get in through the back door (well, interview stage), by just sending a CV and no application form.
I know a personal trainer who recently went for an interview, but failed at the 1st stage.

From what i can gather.....pending on exp of the applicants, depends which group you're put into.
So e.g. some on here have JUST a concentration test at the end of the month, which will obv then be a face to face interview. Am assuming they must be in the essential or desirable criteria.
where some have the full days worth who clearly meet the criteria, but no the essential or desirable.

I do have to question the interview process tbh.
Years of driving experience can't be compared to how many triangles are on this page kinda thing....

The fact the job is still advertised on their website (although closing date has expired), to me suggests they havent had the mass volume of applicants as expected.
But as the metrolink driver on here thinks there's upto 40 driver jobs going... you've GOTTA think you stand a strong chance at least of an interview

Marlow

Completely unrelated background for me - marketing/events world. I used a lot of examples from the events side in terms of safety/hazard awareness etc on the application form. When I've spoken to a couple of existing drivers for reserach they seem to be from various backgrounds - one was ex-Sainsburys staff.

Unfortunately I didn't make the grade! The first 2 tests we sat were SCAAT and a memory test, then a written test and a sim test. The piece of advice I'd give is don't let your guard drop. It's easy to get more and more comfortable as you pass each stage, but you forget you are being grilled throughout the whole day, I think that's what caught me out. I might try again in 6 months, but I'm lucky in the fact I have a pretty good job to go back to. Good luck to you though!

Really sorry to hear that mate, good luck next time if you try again!

Can just I ask, was the SCAAT test on shapes or dots? From what theyu've told me about the asseeement evening, its just a concentration test, do you think that'll be the SCAAT or something else?

I'm a class 2 HGV driver. Have been for a few years and worked for years at Bupa in finance.
Never had points, certified by the DVLA as a professional and a squeaky clean tachograph too.
I meet all the criteria to perfection, but still haven't had a reply. I too applied in the most recent vacancy window.
and yes... like most of ya... i'm watching my phone every 5 mins for a call :)

As a lorry driver, we all know someone in the driving industry or someone whos worked virtually anywhere through the agency.
I was told via a good source that the priority for interviews often goes to class 2 drivers and bus drivers as basically.. they meet the desired specification.
Mainly cuz we have the long concentration skills, work on our own and adhere to strict rules.

Class 1 drivers and train drivers are apparently over qualified for the trams.

I am baffled... just like Martin on here how i've not had the phone call yet like others.
I too know of people who seem to get in through the back door (well, interview stage), by just sending a CV and no application form.
I know a personal trainer who recently went for an interview, but failed at the 1st stage.

From what i can gather.....pending on exp of the applicants, depends which group you're put into.
So e.g. some on here have JUST a concentration test at the end of the month, which will obv then be a face to face interview. Am assuming they must be in the essential or desirable criteria.
where some have the full days worth who clearly meet the criteria, but no the essential or desirable.

I do have to question the interview process tbh.
Years of driving experience can't be compared to how many triangles are on this page kinda thing....

The fact the job is still advertised on their website (although closing date has expired), to me suggests they havent had the mass volume of applicants as expected.
But as the metrolink driver on here thinks there's upto 40 driver jobs going... you've GOTTA think you stand a strong chance at least of an interview

Interesting. Can't comment on the criteria they're looking for but as i've said above my own personal background is pretty unrelated to the transport world.

As for the tests and who's been selected for what, i was originally invited to the full assessment day like Hodor, but when they phoned i had to check my work schedule and said "i'll call you back in 2 mins"... cue a day of their phone ringing out and me getting frantic! Eventually emailed later in the day and was told the assessment days were now full (was a bit peeved at that tbh, and also kicking myself for not just saying yes there and then!) but they said they'd be holding more assessments in a few weeks but they didn't have the dates yet. Got a call about an hour after that saying they'd fixed the dates and invited me to the one at the end of the month. As I said earlier this is only a couple of hours, not a full day, so maybe just breaking the process down due to number of applicants they want to see? Hope you get a call anyway mate :)

beavercreek

FAO GTFO

I suggested you look into the role a bit deeper if you think looking at triangles isn’t relevant to the the role of a tram driver.

Every applicant goes through the same assessments not just selected few.
Driving on rails in completely different than driving on the highway.
The assements although different from that which have been tried and tested for years within the heavy rail industry are proven to be a good starting point to see if a person is suitable to the role as a train or tram driver.
HGV class 1 drivers are over qualified?
The recruitment process can be very slow so nobody worry if they haven’t heard anything yet.

GTFO

I'm not implying the tests don't work. But as a lorry driver, our tachographs prove the mileage we do and the hours we work.
I wouldn't say the difference is huge. If you've ever driven a big vehicle, you'd understand.

I was told from a mate who works at network rail at picadilly that class 1 drivers aswell as train drivers as classed as over qualified more to do with the wage drop.
They earn on average £35k and with a clean driving licence can walk into any job.
So to take a tram job that starts on £21k... metrolink know they can walk at anytime so often refuse them.

If alot of the assessment days are full to the end of the month, I'm pretty certain I've probably missed the boat on this round.
Fingers crossed I hear something, but with quite a few already hearing from metrolink....can't say I'm hopeful now :(

martin2345uk

Established Member
I guess I just didn't provide great examples of safety and hazard awareness etc. on my application form.

I also wonder if my salary might count against me? I'd be taking a pay cut of more than half, I did try to put across in the form that I'm not money-driven, but aaagh I don't know.

All I can do is keep trying...

GTFO

What do you do for a living Martin?

The fact you put you're not money driven is always a positive.

beavercreek

Having driven trams and now trains which travel at over twice the speed and maybe Four times the weight I’d say I know what I’m talking about.
Comparing driving a lorry to a tram or train is equivalent to me comparing my job to a pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.