• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GTFO

I'm not implying you don't know what you're talking about. It's the point of i have the evidence to prove my experience.

E.g. someone with no driving working experience can pass a test vs someone who has years of experience who fails a paper test.

I can query it, but ultimately..not got the interview to complain I suppose..

R Trevithick

I did a concentration test to join my TOC.

I Thought that it proved nothing.

Doesn’t recreate how you need your concentration to operate in any way shape or form.

My suggestion that they sit you in a mess room with other people jabbering away for a couple of hours then spring the test on you just as you have made a brew was needless to say rejected

Shrimper

I've said it before, but Metrolink haven't previously been too fussed about people taking paycuts to join, or being overqualified so I doubt that will have changed.

Yes, they do seem to like people with driving experience but it isn't exclusive and I suspect is largely down to working drivers already having relevant experience of working alone, doing shifts and potentially being responsible for timekeeping. But I also know plenty who came from academic backgrounds, as well as police, military and retail.

What will be crucial is matching your experiences to the person specification on the job advert and concisely explaining why you want the job, and what you'd bring to it. Why should your application be put ahead of the hundreds, if not thousands, of other applicants?

Beeks

I very much doubt salaries or previous work experience hold much sway in selection

My particular training group came from all backgrounds and only 2 of the 9 drove for a living previously

We also had an ex copper on our course who was on considerably more money in his previous job

Hodor

The SCAAT test was shapes, I found the first test we did (memory) a lot trickier given the time limit.

In our group there was a variety of people from various backgrounds, security, sales, an auditor... Would have to agree that salary nor previous experience holds much influence. The impression I got was they're looking for responsible, safety conscious people and the tests on the day are to indicate that to them as to what kind of person you will be. You could put whatever you want on your CV, but if you don't hit their standard you have to try again or go for something else.

GTFO

Maybe experience comes down to the final hurdle?

I've seen so much discrimination on recruitment behind the scenes it's unreal in alot of jobs.

But.. still not heard anything. So good luck to all those who applied. You've done way better than me :(

Established Member
Yes, they do seem to like people with driving experience but it isn't exclusive and I suspect is largely down to working drivers already having relevant experience of working alone, doing shifts and potentially being responsible for timekeeping.

Agree, though I think things are slowly starting to change.

Some of both the best and the worst drivers were bus drivers previously.

Same with inspectors. Some of both the best and the worst were police officers before joining.

I think you'll know which ones I'm on about. Thus that old 'boys club' assumption has slowly died out, along with RATP.

Marlow

Eeek - getting a bit nervous for my Monday assessment now!

Been practicing some SCAAT papers and doing ok I think, but just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some example Dials Test questions in case that one comes up too? All I have found so far is the one example here, be good to see a few more to properly get my head around it!

Thanks in advance... :)

Marlow

Hey so for anyone interested I found out today that I passed the psychometrics! Beyond pleased with that. The tests were pretty nerve-wracking to say the least!!

Still a long way to go obviously but very happy I've made it this far. Heard on the grapevine over 1000 people applied for this round o_O

Good luck to anyone still in the process!

MCRMan

Hey so for anyone interested I found out today that I passed the psychometrics! Beyond pleased with that. The tests were pretty nerve-wracking to say the least!!

Still a long way to go obviously but very happy I've made it this far. Heard on the grapevine over 1000 people applied for this round o_O

Good luck to anyone still in the process!

Did they give you a date for the next part of the process?

Marlow

Has anyone been for the part 2 of assessments yet? Been told it will be driving licence check, simulator test and a written test, but wondering if there is also any interview or medical too?

Just trying to mentally prepare for anything that may come up!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Ooh I just got a voicemail from Metrolink asking me to give them a call back regarding my application which I can't do right now as I'm at work! (But no one can see me typing on the forum hehe)

Why would they be calling rather than emailing?!

Marlow

Ooh I just got a voicemail from Metrolink asking me to give them a call back regarding my application which I can't do right now as I'm at work! (But no one can see me typing on the forum hehe)

Probably good news!?

FYI I did my medical recently, have been offered the job subject to passing it, all fingers & toes crossed here!! Good luck mate hope it's good news...

Beeks

Probably good news!?

FYI I did my medical recently, have been offered the job subject to passing it, all fingers & toes crossed here!! Good luck mate hope it's good news...

Congrats Marlow..and see you out on the track soon hopefully

baz962

Established Member

Go to the loo and call em mate

Marlow

Congrats Marlow..and see you out on the track soon hopefully

Thanks Beeks!! Should know for sure next week and get a start date if medical all ok.. so happy to have got this far & cant wait to join the team!

MCRMan

Probably good news!?

What did the medical consist of?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Eye Test (reading from chart)

**** in a cup

Colourblind test

Can't remember whether there was a hearing test or not

Hoping the asterisks cover a synonym for urinate rather than a different word :)

Status
Not open for further replies.