• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Beeks

Hi guys...

Looking for a bit of advice plz... mainly from ppl in the job..

So i attended and passed assessment day, just medical to finish and estimated start of feb....
Questions... how hard are the training and tests??
What is the job like?? Is it enjoyable/ stressful etc...
Are the lines easy to learn??

Im asking as accepting the job is daunting as it means giving up my relatively safe and decent paid job and its scary incase i fail training stage or even dont like it..
Thanks guys

I love my job Stooey..but I’m not going to lie..it can be stressful at times when the system goes tits up..the training is excellent..it has a high pass rate and the trainers will give you any additional help you may require to get you through..it’s in their interest that you pass

You will start off learning one line and before your final driving test you will be out with a minder for at least a month driving it every shift you do..so by the time your test comes around you will know it like the back of your hand.

I’ve worked in offices all my life and can honestly say this is the best decision I’ve ever made

Don’t get me wrong..some people are not cut out for it..the shift work..the anti social behaviour..and you spend most of the time alone in your cab

But I’m now nearly a year in and I don’t regret it at all..it’s a great job

Stooey

Cheers Beeks

Im coming from public transport anyway, buses, so the shifts are no problem to me same with anti social behaviour lol, only thing im worried about is passing the test, i will be giving up my fairly decent paid job to start afresh and daunting incase i fail as then be jobless...

Also how do you go about learning a second line? do you need mentor for a few weeks or expected to learn yourself?

Beeks

Cheers Beeks

Im coming from public transport anyway, buses, so the shifts are no problem to me same with anti social behaviour lol, only thing im worried about is passing the test, i will be giving up my fairly decent paid job to start afresh and daunting incase i fail as then be jobless...

Also how do you go about learning a second line? do you need mentor for a few weeks or expected to learn yourself?

Lots of ex bus drivers here mate

Don’t worry about the training/tests..everyone thinks it’s daunting at first but it’s super rare that people fail

Once you have worked your one line for a few months you will be assigned a minder again to train you on another line..by then you’ll be completely comfortable in a tram and you’ll get a day or two in the classroom and a day or two with the minder..that’s all you need

TerryTank

I'm going to be starting training too in the new year, can't wait. Does anyone know if the training is pretty 9-5 Mon-Fri, or do we get stuck in with the shift work straight away? Don't mind either way, just have no idea what to expect over the coming weeks!

Beeks

I'm going to be starting training too in the new year, can't wait. Does anyone know if the training is pretty 9-5 Mon-Fri, or do we get stuck in with the shift work straight away? Don't mind either way, just have no idea what to expect over the coming weeks!

Hi Terry

Congrats!

You don’t start doing shifts until you’re out with your minders which isn’t for a few weeks

Until then you’ll probably be on 8-4 Mon-Fri

Marlow

Hi @Beeks - thanks for sharing the info above.

As another new starter in the new year just wondering if you could elaborate at all on the line learning and anti social behaviour stuff mentioned above?

With line learning, what exactly do you learn, and how is this assessed? And is this all do-able within training hours or did you have to do lots of revision/work in your spare time?

RE anti-social behaviour, there's unfortunately plenty of scroats around and this is the only aspect of the job that is of some concern to me personally. I'd be interested to know what the 'official' Metrolink policy is for dealing with any issues, and also how this compares to what the day-to-day 'reality' of this (and said policy/implementing it) is for drivers? As a regular traveller on the met i've definitely seen an increase in travel safe/police over recent months, has this helped? Do drivers/staff think this is now sufficient or are there calls for more support?

Oh and one random question - I know some of the shift hours can be quite long, so what if you're driving and suddenly find yourself needing a p*** or something!!?? Are there regular-ish breaks within shift or are you literally in a tram/changing ends or whatever for hours at a time?

Thanks for any info mate!

Last edited:

Established Member
RE anti-social behaviour, there's unfortunately plenty of scroats around and this is the only aspect of the job that is of some concern to me personally. I'd be interested to know what the 'official' Metrolink policy is for dealing with any issues, and also how this compares to what the day-to-day 'reality' of this

The unofficial advice I'd give to anyone, is stay in the cab and ring it in. Do a few PAs. But unless the door cocks have been pulled, don't get out.

My favourite saying.

Don't lose yer job. For a ____. :P

TerryTank

Hi Terry

Congrats!

You don’t start doing shifts until you’re out with your minders which isn’t for a few weeks

Until then you’ll probably be on 8-4 Mon-Fri

Thanks for that - that's very useful info. Can't wait to get started now!

Stooey

Hi peeps, hope you all had a great xmas and happy new year tonight....

I should be booked in for my medical nxt week so getting closer, still scary tho giving up my relatively safe job to come to the unknown, re learning the lines, do you have to know all the stops etc?? How many ppl get thru training?? Cacking it a bit tbh

martin2345uk

Established Member
Just trust in your decision mate - is there anything anyone could say on here that would make you turn down your offer? Course not! Go for it and enjoy it :)

Shrimper

Hi peeps, hope you all had a great xmas and happy new year tonight....

I should be booked in for my medical nxt week so getting closer, still scary tho giving up my relatively safe job to come to the unknown, re learning the lines, do you have to know all the stops etc?? How many ppl get thru training?? Cacking it a bit tbh

I went from buses to trams; tram driving is no less of a safe employment than bus driving and I preferred it.

You do need to know the stops, but will go over the route so many times before you take passengers that you will know the stops already. If you are in doubt there is nothing to stop you keeping a network map in your bag or a list of stops in a notepad. Every driver does it their own way.

Training has changed since I did it (I learnt all lines except Eccles at the time); but even then with more lines to learn it was exceptionally rare for anyone to fail training. Everyone passed first time on my course; and the course you are on will develop a strong bond between you to help each other through. The training team are excellent and will give you every assistance they can as long as you're willing to put the effort in too.

Stooey

Cheers shrimper... how are you finding it compared to bus driving??? Is the job great?

Kezbian1804

Hey guys, totally new to the forum and I've been following this thread for a good part of a month. Thought I'd take the opportunity to put my two cents in and help those going through the application or who are considering it in future.

Firstly, let me tell you about me and my experience. I have worked in the mobile phone industry for coming on to 8 years now and let me tell you, it's a toiling industry especially when you've been chasing targets non-stop for 8 years. I've worked in different capacities - Store Assistant, Assistant Manager, Branch Manager and I've also had experience working for some high profile manufacturers as an Area Development Manager. I made the decision approximately 18 months ago to leave the industry after falling out of love with what I did but I hung on in hope that things would improve. Unfortunately this wasn't the case and I think that a lack of knowing what it is that I wanted to do in my life was a big factor in me clinging on for so long. I didn't think much of it and carried on as I'm still relatively young (27) and knew time was on my side. This was until 4 months ago my employer made me redundant which as you can imagine left me in a bit of a hole. Now I'm in a job that I'm not that invested in because it's still in the mobile telecomms industry and can finally see a way out in the form of an LRV Driver role at Metrolink.

I saw the job posting on the Keolis Amey Metrolink website a month and a half prior to me being made redundant at my previous employer (Septemberish). Being an LRV Driver on the Metrolink has always been something that has interested me since moving to Manchester in 09'. However, the better half advised that it wasn't time for me to be looking to move on as it was 'that' time of the year where we needed to have security and of course a steady income to support Christmas (the irony in that is sometimes overlooked by her :lol:). I took her on her word as she's normally right, in the case of course she wasn't but anyhow, things happen for a reason as they say.
Fast forward 2 months to the back end of November. I decided to go for it, I was out of work and needed employment come what may. I knew the Metrolink offered me security and a decent standard of living. I also had the added bonus that since being a kid I've always been fascinated with anything on rails and always saw it as a realistic career move but how does one get into it? Applied on the Saturday via the online application form and by Monday had a response from HR to say they were sifting through applications and would be in touch in due course. I didn't however think they'd be in touch by the Friday of the same week. Got a call inviting me to an Assessment Centre day a few weeks later and the day went as follows:

- Arrive at 0630
- Written Test
- LRV Simulator
- Embark/Disembarking the Tram from the tracks
- PA announcement
- Psychometric Tests (x2)
- Interview

All of the above is conditional, i.e. you had to be successful at all elements of the assessment day to get to the psychometric testing at the end and then of course pass the tests to guarantee an interview. I'll be honest, no amount of practice will help you with the tests. They're relatively straight forward to understand and all I'll say is to go prepared to use logical reasoning and concentrate intently for bursts of time.

I was successful and got a phone call the same week to confirm so. Was wished a Merry Christmas and told they'd be in touch in the new year. Just received an e-mail (as I was composing this response actually) to discuss me attending a medical and with a view to starting in February.
When I started out in this process I genuinely thought I had no chance whatsoever of being even considered for the assessment day. Why? Well, I have no experience in Public Transport. Granted I've driven a lot of miles in my role for long periods at a time which of course is a transferable skill and I've got a rich history of customer service but in no capacity did I think I'd be successful. But I was.

And I think that the point worth making is this - if your gut says 'GO FOR IT' then do exactly that. I went for it doubting that I'd even get a response never mind a job offer, of course pending a medical. I had my doubts even after the assessment day and the news I'd been successful. Thanks to other posters (sorry guys, I forget your names and can't be bothered scrolling back up to give you all a credit but you know who you are 8-)) I'm a lot more confident in knowing I've made the right decision and that this is the right career for me. I'm genuinely excited to start this new chapter in my life.

I hope in some way this may have helped some of you having doubts or some of you who have been offered a role but are thinking twice. Lastly for me, the security, stability and decent salary structure appeals.

Kind Regards,

Kieran

Shrimper

Cheers shrimper... how are you finding it compared to bus driving??? Is the job great?

I no longer work at Metrolink - I left to heavy rail a couple of years ago - but spent 3 years there and enjoyed all of it.

I preferred it to bus driving as there was less dealing with passengers and money (cashing up was the bane of my life!); but you still get chances to interact so it wasn't an entirely solitary job!

But it does have a lot of the parts I enjoyed - a variety of shifts but with a stable roster so planning your life is easy, and every day is different even if you're on the same shift - you never know what will happen or what you'll see when driving through the city centre!

Stooey

Kezbian.... just had the same email today asking me to attend my medical in the next 2weeks so maybe on same start date as yourself

And cheers shrimper, ive had enough of bus driving now, the idiots on the road, the moaning mundane passenger interaction, im based in wigan.....

The time for a change is now me thinks

BOULDER

Hey guys, totally new to the forum and I've been following this thread for a good part of a month. Thought I'd take the opportunity to put my two cents in and help those going through the application or who are considering it in future.

Firstly, let me tell you about me and my experience. I have worked in the mobile phone industry for coming on to 8 years now and let me tell you, it's a toiling industry especially when you've been chasing targets non-stop for 8 years. I've worked in different capacities - Store Assistant, Assistant Manager, Branch Manager and I've also had experience working for some high profile manufacturers as an Area Development Manager. I made the decision approximately 18 months ago to leave the industry after falling out of love with what I did but I hung on in hope that things would improve. Unfortunately this wasn't the case and I think that a lack of knowing what it is that I wanted to do in my life was a big factor in me clinging on for so long. I didn't think much of it and carried on as I'm still relatively young (27) and knew time was on my side. This was until 4 months ago my employer made me redundant which as you can imagine left me in a bit of a hole. Now I'm in a job that I'm not that invested in because it's still in the mobile telecomms industry and can finally see a way out in the form of an LRV Driver role at Metrolink.

I saw the job posting on the Keolis Amey Metrolink website a month and a half prior to me being made redundant at my previous employer (Septemberish). Being an LRV Driver on the Metrolink has always been something that has interested me since moving to Manchester in 09'. However, the better half advised that it wasn't time for me to be looking to move on as it was 'that' time of the year where we needed to have security and of course a steady income to support Christmas (the irony in that is sometimes overlooked by her :lol:). I took her on her word as she's normally right, in the case of course she wasn't but anyhow, things happen for a reason as they say.
Fast forward 2 months to the back end of November. I decided to go for it, I was out of work and needed employment come what may. I knew the Metrolink offered me security and a decent standard of living. I also had the added bonus that since being a kid I've always been fascinated with anything on rails and always saw it as a realistic career move but how does one get into it? Applied on the Saturday via the online application form and by Monday had a response from HR to say they were sifting through applications and would be in touch in due course. I didn't however think they'd be in touch by the Friday of the same week. Got a call inviting me to an Assessment Centre day a few weeks later and the day went as follows:

- Arrive at 0630
- Written Test
- LRV Simulator
- Embark/Disembarking the Tram from the tracks
- PA announcement
- Psychometric Tests (x2)
- Interview

All of the above is conditional, i.e. you had to be successful at all elements of the assessment day to get to the psychometric testing at the end and then of course pass the tests to guarantee an interview. I'll be honest, no amount of practice will help you with the tests. They're relatively straight forward to understand and all I'll say is to go prepared to use logical reasoning and concentrate intently for bursts of time.

I was successful and got a phone call the same week to confirm so. Was wished a Merry Christmas and told they'd be in touch in the new year. Just received an e-mail (as I was composing this response actually) to discuss me attending a medical and with a view to starting in February.
When I started out in this process I genuinely thought I had no chance whatsoever of being even considered for the assessment day. Why? Well, I have no experience in Public Transport. Granted I've driven a lot of miles in my role for long periods at a time which of course is a transferable skill and I've got a rich history of customer service but in no capacity did I think I'd be successful. But I was.

And I think that the point worth making is this - if your gut says 'GO FOR IT' then do exactly that. I went for it doubting that I'd even get a response never mind a job offer, of course pending a medical. I had my doubts even after the assessment day and the news I'd been successful. Thanks to other posters (sorry guys, I forget your names and can't be bothered scrolling back up to give you all a credit but you know who you are 8-)) I'm a lot more confident in knowing I've made the right decision and that this is the right career for me. I'm genuinely excited to start this new chapter in my life.

I hope in some way this may have helped some of you having doubts or some of you who have been offered a role but are thinking twice. Lastly for me, the security, stability and decent salary structure appeals.

Kind Regards,

Kieran

Are the Psychometric Tests on paper or computer based. Others have said this is SCAAT and cables and dials, is this right? Thanks.

Kezbian1804

Are the Psychometric Tests on paper or computer based. Others have said this is SCAAT and cables and dials, is this right? Thanks.

What Stooey said Boulder. The tests are paper based and quite intense. I'd recommend not just blitzing through it. I think it's mainly aimed at speed and accuracy and finding that balance. If you don't complete the test in full don't worry. I didn't complete it and for that matter I don't think a lot of the applicants on my assessment day did.

Correction - I don't think anybody did.

Kezbian1804

Kezbian.... just had the same email today asking me to attend my medical in the next 2weeks so maybe on same start date as yourself

And cheers shrimper, ive had enough of bus driving now, the idiots on the road, the moaning mundane passenger interaction, im based in wigan.....

The time for a change is now me thinks

]

It's very possible mate. Did you do the assessment on the Tuesday or Wednesday? That's assuming you went at the start of December. Got my medical tomorrow (today if we're to be picky with the time). Nothing to worry about, I'm a relatively healthy human being.

Stooey

Well looks like i wont be joining you guys after all, i suffer from white coat syndrome and my blood pressure was too high on my medical hence a fail, gutted is an understatement .... thanks for your friendly advice and my mithering, good luck to anyone else applying...

Beeks

Well looks like i wont be joining you guys after all, i suffer from white coat syndrome and my blood pressure was too high on my medical hence a fail, gutted is an understatement .... thanks for your friendly advice and my mithering, good luck to anyone else applying...

Ah no! Gutted for you mate, can you not appeal it or something? Isn’t white coat syndrome where your blood pressure is only high in a clinical setting? Will they not give you another go?

Seems a shame after you’ve been through all that

Kezbian1804

Damn, sorry to hear that buddy. I sympathise with you big time.

I'm a little worried myself, medical was fine but was referred to my GP as I am on a course of prescription medicine for anxiety. Before the high horses turn up as I have seen on other forums I would like to add that I'm well in control of my anxiety and it would in no way impair me in completing my duty as a Tram Driver.

I appreciate this is due diligence so that offers me some kind of relief and I'm awaiting my GP sending the medical report back to the OH assessor to sign me off hopefully.

Anyone had any experience with this and know whether I will be fine or whether OH might fail my medical on these grounds?

Would be devastated if so.

Last edited:

Stooey

Yes my bp is only high in a clinical setting and i also hate the bp monitor when it inflates and i can feel my pulse, i tested it myself at home and was fine..

I went straight to my gp an hour after my medical and had 3 readings taken all came back 135/85 and classed as fine.. it was 145/102 at the medical...

They have now requested my file and a statement from my doctor and still may sign me off but in these situations i dont hold much hope...... fingers crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.