• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink M5000 Fleet Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
Sorry, haven't had time to read through the thread - I understand that there are two different signalling systems in use on Metrolink; how does this work in terms of certains trams being limited to routes, or can all trams cover the whole network?

Also, on some of the later number trams (3080 onwards, for example), the disabled area is different.. at what number did the interior layout change and why?

Thanks!

futureA

Sorry, haven't had time to read through the thread - I understand that there are two different signalling systems in use on Metrolink; how does this work in terms of certains trams being limited to routes, or can all trams cover the whole network?

Also, on some of the later number trams (3080 onwards, for example), the disabled area is different.. at what number did the interior layout change and why?

Thanks!

Yes, there are three subfleets of trams. One which can only work on the new system (TMS), one which can work on both the TMS and ATS systems with all the equipment installed in the factory and another fleet which can also work on both systems but the ATS equipment was salvaged from the T68 trams. Each subfleet can only be coupled to members of its own subfleet in service.

The areas where the old system is still needed will be migrated to new system eventually. With the end of the Altrincham line set to stay on the old system for a bit longer as it is managed by Network Rail.

As for the seating layout I think it changed at tram 3075 and this was due to feedback recieved about the old layout. The new layout has 8 more seats.

Last edited:

familyguy99

3119 entry into service on Wednesday 14th September and mean all Metrolink trams are now in service with 3120 still yet to come.

CC 72100

Established Member
Yes, there are three subfleets of trams. One which can only work on the new system (TMS), one which can work on both the TMS and ATS systems with all the equipment installed in the factory and another fleet which can also work on both systems but the ATS equipment was salvaged from the T68 trams. Each subfleet can only be coupled to members of its own subfleet in service.

The areas where the old system is still needed will be migrated to new system eventually. With the end of the Altrincham line set to stay on the old system for a bit longer as it is managed by Network Rail.

As for the seating layout I think it changed at tram 3075 and this was due to feedback recieved about the old layout. The new layout has 8 more seats.

Thanks for this, so, the natural follow on:

- Which lines are which signalling system?

- Is there a list of which trams are TMS-only, which are both systems (as built), and which are both systems (ATS donated from T68s)?

I'm guessing that my local line (Eccles) can be used by any tram, although it appears to be 75% trams number 3080 above.

3119 also in service today, for those interested.

futureA

Thanks for this, so, the natural follow on:

- Which lines are which signalling system?

- Is there a list of which trams are TMS-only, which are both systems (as built), and which are both systems (ATS donated from T68s)?

I'm guessing that my local line (Eccles) can be used by any tram, although it appears to be 75% trams number 3080 above.

3119 also in service today, for those interested.

All the new lines opened since 2009 were built with the new system in place (TMS): Media City, Ashton, East Didsbury/ Airport, Oldham Rochdale. The Eccles line was converted from the old line of sight system to TMS in 2010. The city centre was converted in 2012.
Conversion is still on going on the Alrincham and Bury lines with Cornbrook to Brooklands on the Altrincham Line being converted in (i think) 2013. On the Bury line, Victoria to Crumpsal was converted (I think) in 2015.

The remaining areas under the old system are therefore Crumpsall to Bury and Timperley to Altrincham. Crumpsal to Bury is straighforward and should be converted I believe around the time the second city crossing opens (this is delayed from July this year due to issues with the TMS system at Victoria which need to be resolved for the second city line to open).

On the Altrincham line it is a bit more complex as the section between Timperley and Altrincham is owned and controlled by Network Rail. This section is controlled by an old fashioned signal box and there are two level crossings with gates. But network rail will migrate the signalling in this area to the new Ashburies signalling centre in a few years so it obviously doesn't make any sense to design a highly complex interface between systems which will only be needed for a few years.

Instead only the TMS components needed to track trams and supply data to the customer information screens will be installed and this is expected to be activated very soon (within a few weeks). This area will be under signal control for the foreseeable future.

According to British Trams Online:

3001-3060 are fitted with ATS and VRS and can be used anywhere on the Metrolink network. These units are split between Queens Road and Trafford depots.
3061-3118 are not fitted with ATS/VRS equipment and can only be used on services to Ashton-under-Lyne, East Didsbury, Manchester Airport and Rochdale. These units are now split between Trafford and Queens Road depots.

I don't think the units in the factory installed TMS fleets vs salvaged TMS subfleets is published anywhere. Once the Bury line is converted I would expect that the equipment needed to work on the old signalling system will be removed from all but a few trams to save on maintenance costs. Maybe it will be stored and not disposed of in case it is needed in future.

Any tram in the fleet can use the Eccles Line but normally Eccles trams come from the Trafford Depot. Each tram has a home depot. That is why you only see certain numbers on certain lines.

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
futureA, thanks for the above. Much clearer now. Wasn't aware there were two depots either!

Thanks again

snowball

Established Member
Wasn't aware there were two depots either!

Trafford depot opened in 2012 and is in the angle between the Altrincham line and the line to East Didsbury and the airport.

For quite a while now Metrolink have had more trams than can be stabled at either depot alone.

During the works to adapt St Peter's Square for the Second City Crossing, the Square was totally closed to trams for two months in the summer of 2015 and again for two months in the summer of 2016, thus severing the network into a northern half and a southern half. Without two depots I imagine the service on one half would have ground to a halt quickly.

The best way to keep up with Metrolink developments is to read the relevant threads in the Greater Manchester Transport subforum of Skyscrapercity. Several people are regular contributors both here and there.

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
Thanks both; indeed I arrived the week before St Peter's square re-opened... I now appreciate the piece of infrastructure, haha!

familyguy99

familyguy99

3120 have arrival at Queens Road depot this morning and probably be early November before we see this tram entry into service.

WatcherZero

Established Member
I believe that this will be the final M5000, the production line has shut down and Metrolink has let the option for additional ones lapse.
Sam

Metrolink have let their contract options elapse but the model is still being made, Frankfurt ordered 12 in May and I believe there was a huge order last year that will keep Flexity Swifts in production till 2021.

However more likely is what ever Metrolink orders next will be tram-train compatible even if not initially deployed tied to a new tram-train route and likely double length as standard.

TC60054

Metrolink have let their contract options elapse but the model is still being made, Frankfurt ordered 12 in May and I believe there was a huge order last year that will keep Flexity Swifts in production till 2021.

However more likely is what ever Metrolink orders next will be tram-train compatible even if not initially deployed tied to a new tram-train route and likely double length as standard.

I think that the M5000 production line has closed, not the complete Flexity Swift production line.

CC 72100

Established Member
3117 tram have also got warp advert on it and believe these only two trams that have different livery then rest of trams on systems.

Have the 'we have some ideas, now we want yours #tfgm2040' trams lost their vinyl then? (Think there were two).

Equally I thought the MediacityUk 'word' wrap was still out and about?

familyguy99

Have the 'we have some ideas, now we want yours #tfgm2040' trams lost their vinyl then? (Think there were two).

Equally I thought the MediacityUk 'word' wrap was still out and about?

Keep forgetting that 3008?-3010 trams have "MediaCity" warp on side of it specially they been on there for four/five years and feel is part of tram.

Last edited:

507 001

Established Member
Keep forgetting that 3008?-3010 trams have "MediaCity" warp on side of it specially they been on there for four/five years and feel is part of tram.

It's not a wrap as such. It's just Media City branding on the windows.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The Wikipedia article for the M5000s states that 3022 is out of service even though I saw it on Altrincham services yesterday. Any reason why?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Probably just out of date, during Sep/Oct when last fleet update was given in early Dec all were available for service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.