• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Middle lane driving: your views?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanf

I see we are now going to be fined for hogging the middle lane. In my opinion it's people hogging the outside lane who should be fined. Last weekend i did a 600 mile return trip and the scariest thing i saw was someone going from overtaking in the outside lane then straight back to the inside lane(perfectly legally i would presume) but looking very dangerous then doing it again seconds later.You only need a few people doing that at the same time and in my opinion people could very quickly get wiped out.Personally i think hogging the middle lane is safer than pulling in and out to overtake slow moving wagons. I prefer to stay in the outside lane doing my 70:D but if someone doing their 70 wants to pass i will let them. What's other peoples opinions on this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
https://www.gov.uk/motorways-253-to-273/lane-discipline-264-to-266

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past.

You are only 'screwed' if you disobey the Highway Code. How long has this rule been in force? Presumably almost as long as motorways have existed. And since have car drivers ever been screwed? They have a powerful motoring lobby behind them, far stronger than public transport or cycling lobbies. Roads suitable for cars cover the entire country, including many motorways and high speed roads.

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
What's other peoples opinions on this?

It's easily avoidable - stop hogging the middle lane. I get fed up of having to go out by 2 lanes because someone is too lazy to move across. Flash your lights at them, go across 2 lanes in front of them and they stay there in the middle. I hope it is actually implemented.

alanf

I know what your saying (Black Watch) but dont you get fed up having to keep overtaking slower moving trucks then moving back in to repeat the same manouvere again?

Eagle

Established Member
It's easily avoidable - stop hogging the middle lane. I get fed up of having to go out by 2 lanes because someone is too lazy to move across. Flash your lights at them, go across 2 lanes in front of them and they stay there in the middle. I hope it is actually implemented.

A more fun way on a quiet dual carriageway is to cross behind them into lane 3, overtake them, fall back to lane 1, slow down so they pass you, and repeat this ad libitum so you're basically orbiting them.

Please note: don't actually do this. :P

A0wen

On Moderation
A much easier way to resolve this would be to permit undertaking as they do in the US - that way if somebody is just sitting in the middle lane you can go round them either way.

But - that would mean the old Bill wouldn't be able to prosecute anyone and no revenue from fines would make its way to the treasury - hence it won't happen.

theblackwatch

Established Member
A more fun way on a quiet dual carriageway is to cross behind them into lane 3, overtake them, fall back to lane 1, slow down so they pass you, and repeat this ad libitum so you're basically orbiting them.

Or perhaps overtake them then move into the middle lane in front of them and slow down a bit? :P
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I know what your saying (Black Watch) but dont you get fed up having to keep overtaking slower moving trucks then moving back in to repeat the same manouvere again?

No, it doesn't bother me.

Sounds good, I hope they manage to implement it well. I don't mind constantly moving out to pass lorries etc, keeps me on my toes.

Established Member
Last weekend i did a 600 mile return trip and the scariest thing i saw was someone going from overtaking in the outside lane then straight back to the inside lane(perfectly legally i would presume) but looking very dangerous then doing it again seconds later.

I do this on a semi-regular basis.
If I'm travelling in lane one, approaching something slower in lane one and something passing it in lane two travelling slower than me, I'll move across multiple lanes in one smooth manouvre provided it is safe to do so.
I'll also move straight out from a sliproad into lane two if there is someone dawdling ahead of me, again provided it is safe to do so.

Sliproads are a bit of a bugbear of mine - the point is to get as close to the speed of the traffic on the road you're joining as you can, so you can join it smoothly and safely. People in cars who dawdle down sliproads onto motorways at 40mph aren't just a nuisance, but can be actively dangerous as they attempt to join the carriageway with traffic doing a significantly higher speed.
And anyone who dawdles down a motorway sliproad then comes to a halt at the end where they should be merging should lose their licence, IMO.

No, it's part of driving on roads with multiple lanes.
You shouldn't be using them if you're not prepared to use them properly.

A much easier way to resolve this would be to permit undertaking as they do in the US - that way if somebody is just sitting in the middle lane you can go round them either way.

But - that would mean the old Bill wouldn't be able to prosecute anyone and no revenue from fines would make its way to the treasury - hence it won't happen.

Undertaking isn't an offence in the UK.
You can be done for dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention, but there is no specific offence for undertaking.

Been there, done that. :D

CallySleeper

Established Member

The point of this is to prevent undertaking, i.e. forcing a faster car into an inside lane in order to pass; not least because the slower car in the outside lane is causing an obstruction to traffic flow but thus incredibly dangerous if it decides to move into an inside lane without looking.

If there's a line of trucks or other vehicles you wish to overtake, where it would not gain anything by moving into lane 1 before 2 again, then yes you have a point. In all other cases (i.e. open road), absolutely not.

I disagree with your thread title, innocent drivers are not being 'screwed' it will be those who drive in a manner which is without care and attention, causing obstruction and therefore poses a hazard. Ditto tailgaters. There is no point in having a three or four lane motorway if slower traffic uses at best lane 2, it restricts the capacity of the whole road dangerously for faster vehicles. If your approach is to hog even the outside lane let alone the middle then I would absolutely hate thinking about coming up behind you on a motorway. Your practice is absolutely the opposite of safe, logical, correct driving and if I did meet a driver of this description I would probably have them reported to the police and HA for causing a dangerous obstruction!

carriageline

Established Member
IMO, it's all about reading the road ahead.

I travel in the most left hand lane that's possible. If I overtake something, I don't always dart back in front of it. I examine the road ahead, if I will be overtaking something else within the next 6-7 seconds then I stay there. Providing nothing is approaching me from behind/state of traffic behind me.

Middle lane hoggers are a pet hate to me. It's even worse when they are the only car for a mile or so at night, there is no reason for it.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I don't drive on road yet but when I go to school usually there are people middle lane hogging whilst we are driving on the slow lane and we overtake them. In fact lots of cars overtake them and it just doesn't dawn on the stupid drivers that they should be the ones overtaking, not being overtaken by the people they should be overtaking.

I swear the other day some old fart was doing about 40 in the middle lane because it was slow enough for the bus to overtake it!!!

scottishchris

Just taking 2 of your bugbears together, 90019, I followed someone the other day who was doing 40 (if that!) in the outside lane of a slip road.

Because I had the audacity to go round them in the inside lane to at least have a remote chance of doing a reasonable speed by the time I merged with the dual carriageway traffic, I was greeted with a flash of his lights and a blast of his horn!

What goes through their minds?

revenueadvice

Basically everyone should drive in the left hand lane unless over taking slower moving traffic. Might have worked well in the 60's / 70's when there was less traffic. What's the point of having 3 lanes and only using 1? Oh and if that's the case why do they bother widening to 4 lanes to ease congestion? Surely the only way to ease congestion is to have the traffic spread over a the lanes?

From a safety aspect surely the less people change lanes the less likely an accident is? One big problem I see on motorways is lorrys and coaches trying to over take each other when one is doing 55mph and the other doing 56mph which then forces everyone else into the "dickhead lane"where people want to drive at 120 and get right up your arse flashing there headlights at you!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yes you'd think that lorry/coach drivers would be aware of the situation where they are overtaking and the road starts to go uphill a bit, and they find they haven't got the power to complete the overtake.

Middle-laneing is self-perpetuating in the sense that if you are catching up with a slow vehicle in the left hand land it is sometimes difficult to get out because of all the people already in the middle lane. Solution - get into the middle lane before everyone else!

83G/84D

Established Member
Bringing out new laws like this is the easy bit, enforcing them is not. How often do you see a police car on the motorway except when they are responding to an incident? The M5 between Exeter & Bristol used to be regularly patrolled but cuts to traffic departments mean that often you don't see any partols except the occasional highways staff patrol.

Are you going to be watched on fixed cameras and and offences recorded and a fine sent in the post?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think this is the best news I've heard in years - literally. Middle lane hogging is one of my biggest moans about motorway driving, and to a certain extent driving on dual-carriageways when someone is in the second lane because they intend to turn right in the next 20 miles.

Middle lane hoggers are clearly not feeling comfortable with driving if they use the excuse that they would otherwise have to keep overtaking lorries and other slow moving vehicles. In peak times, middle lane hoggers are less of an issue anyway (they probably are passing enough vehicles to just about get away with arguing that they're overtaking) but at other times, they're driving for MILES without passing anything.

Now a study has claimed that middle lane hoggers don't really take up much road capacity, and don't reduce capacity by a third. What it doesn't seem to have taken into account is that when you have middle lane hoggers, you end up with more and more people going into lane 3 to pass - and not ever going back in, because they'll end up going back to lane 1 then catch up with a middle lane hogger, have to go to lane 2, then try and get into lane 3 to overtake and go back. So they stick in lane 3.

End result; you have middle lane hoggers spaced out and lane 3 is full. It looks more like you're on a road in mainland Europe. How can that not be massively taking up capacity?

What it also does is encourage road rage, and for people to see that lane 1 is mostly empty and rather than pull over, then out again to overtake, just stick in lane 1 and undertake everyone - usually at speed, out of anger, which makes them more dangerous. Yes, that motorist is the one one that is a danger BUT it only occurred because of someone who was being inconsiderate.

I was always taught that if you can't complete an overtake within 10 seconds, you pull back in. What's more, motorway driving can become very boring so it keeps your attention levels up by driving properly, and that will likely make you more aware of what's going on around you. Middle lane hoggers rarely seem to look in their mirrors (why would they? They just sit there and drive) so are also the ones that seem to panic when they need to turn off or might actually need to overtake themselves, having crept up onto the bumper of another vehicle because they were virtually asleep. Chances are, rather than slow down, they'll just pull out to overtake without properly judging the speed of vehicles in lane 3.

I was glad to see that it was pointed out that people don't hog lanes so much elsewhere, such as Germany. I have seen this countless times when driving there. People only pull out to lane 2 or 3 (rare on many autobahns) to overtake. They pull back in. And when there's no speed limit in operation, those people who are going faster in lane two have no issue with slowing down, waiting, then flooring it after. It all works - with vehicles that have a significant variance in speed.

If we want to have higher speed limits in the UK, even just 80mph, then we need to get motorists to drive properly and be more courteous to others. Middle lane hoggers are rude, arrogant and timid drivers who either abide by the rules or stop driving, IMO.

Once people can be taught that you keep left unless overtaking, you will suddenly find that motorways will move much smoother as a result.

But, and this is a big but, there are so few traffic police officers out now that there will likely be little enforcement. That said, while many police officers aren't too worried about motorists speeding a bit - I bet many of them are equally frustrated by middle lane hoggers. I can see that, potentially, they'll mostly go for these people (as well as people who sit in lane 3 all the time with cruise control on).

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Middle land hoggers don't really bother me that much. I might loose a minescule bit of time on my journey because of having to move from lane 1 to lane 3 and back to lane 1 to overtake them but it really doesn't deserve the animosity directed towards it. Frankly I think the road rage exhibited by other drivers displays an inherently more dangerous attitude than just using lanes incorrectly.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a marked police car hogging the middle lane on a fairly quiet motorway?

I have...

Southwest

To quote a Clarksonism, middle lane hoggers should be shot in front of their families. They are the scourge of the three lane road and the road rage these people incite leads to people tailgating to get passed them.

Cure one and you'll go some way to cure the other.

Established Member
I was driving down the M6 a few weeks ago, with the cruise control on the Volvo at 62mph, approaching an HGV in lane one, I moved out to lane two to pass. As I'm alongside the HGV, a car appears behind and sits on my bumper, despite lane three being empty. Once I'd finished the overtake and moved back in, they accelerated past and disappeared into the distance.
It was about 10 minutes later that I caught up with them, stuck behing another middle lane hogger doing 60mph, still refusing to use any other lane.
I didn't even bother to move out and just passed them in lane one.

Speaking of lane hogging, here's a video of a proper road captain which is definitely NSFW due to the rather sweary commentary. :D

Antman

Established Member

It won't happen coz its a crazy idea<(
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a marked police car hogging the middle lane on a fairly quiet motorway?

I have...

If you see a police vehicle driven inapproriatley note the reg and report it to the police force in question
Yes you'd think that lorry/coach drivers would be aware of the situation where they are overtaking and the road starts to go uphill a bit, and they find they haven't got the power to complete the overtake.

Middle-laneing is self-perpetuating in the sense that if you are catching up with a slow vehicle in the left hand land it is sometimes difficult to get out because of all the people already in the middle lane. Solution - get into the middle lane before everyone else!

The problem with coaches and lorries is the speed limiters.............another great idea from the EU:cry:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
If you see a police vehicle driven inapproriatley note the reg and report it to the police force in question

There's nothing in Peter's post to suggest the vehicle was being driven inappropriately. The police have an exemption to many parts of traffic law. I can think of a few reasons off the top of my head where an officer may wish to travel in lane 2 of a motorway.

Rich McLean

Established Member
There's nothing in Peter's post to suggest the vehicle was being driven inappropriately. The police have an exemption to many parts of traffic law. I can think of a few reasons off the top of my head where an officer may wish to travel in lane 2 of a motorway.

Main reason traffic police do this, at it gives both officers a better view in front and around them

chorleyjeff

So how much money has been collected by fining drivers who hog the overtaking lanes? Not much I guess.
To make serious money couldn't cops just take photos of people driving while holding and talking into mobile phones. Busy junctions on trunk roads would be good locations because traffic mostly slows down and photting would be easy. Alternatively stand close to a roundabout in a busy town and photograph them there. Or yet again visit where I live and prosecute people who choose to park on the pavement - a pointless exercise because cars can't pass in both directions at the same time when the road is partly parked upon.
If money raising is the real objective surely there are lots of opportunities without sending expensive cops in expensive cars to get a few motorway drivers.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I was driving down the M6 a few weeks ago, with the cruise control on the Volvo at 62mph, approaching an HGV in lane one, I moved out to lane two to pass. As I'm alongside the HGV, a car appears behind and sits on my bumper, despite lane three being empty. Once I'd finished the overtake and moved back in, they accelerated past and disappeared into the distance.
It was about 10 minutes later that I caught up with them, stuck behing another middle lane hogger doing 60mph, still refusing to use any other lane.
I didn't even bother to move out and just passed them in lane one.

Presumably one of the many people that seem to think we operate a slow/medium/fast approach to lanes? Possibly another reason we have middle lane hoggers, as they know they're allowed to go faster than lorries.

FWIW, the problem with middle lane hoggers is more noticeable and annoying at certain times, particularly weekends, and if you drive in the week - or rush hour - then you'll usually be surrounded by people that drive regularly and know the score.

Sure, you still get the rep tailgating in lane 3, but by and large everyone knows that they want to get to their destination quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.