• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Middle lane driving: your views?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's a bit like trucks indicating to move out and expecting others to drop anchor so they can pull out and so save themselves having to lose momentum or brake. Heavan forbid having any courtesy to drivers who are doing 70 and are feet from the rear of their trailer...

My dad had an accident last year when a foreign lorry pulled out into lane two and hit him on the M25 near Dartford. His car was written off, but he was just fine thankfully.

Now in this case, I expect it was the driver not using the mirrors properly - but I've seen plenty of occasions where a lorry indicates and pretty much pulls out straight away - forcing others to very rapidly brake or change lane. If you just stood your ground, you'd lose.

I don't see this as bad use of mirrors, but sheer arrogance and the belief built up over time that a lorry is so big, you can force others to move. And most of the time they will, given the most likely outcome of a lorry taking on a car.

If I can see from a distance that a lorry is gaining on any other vehicle, or indeed any car gaining on another, I will quite often seek to pass in lane 3 and then back in to let them sort themselves out and not bring me into their game.

That's also indicative (sorry!) of the number of drivers who use indicators to inform you that they have actually started a manoeuvre; rather than the proper use of letting you know they intend to make a manoeuvre.

Ah yes. The ones that have already begun to move over the line so you already know what they're doing - but flick on the indicator as if they could only do it by pulling/pushing the lever when they are turning the wheel. Using mirrors must be far too difficult for these people.

I was once advised to have one flash of the indicator for every 10mph of speed. Some motorists make do with a single flash. Our car can't do any less than three flashes whether we like it or not.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
That's also indicative (sorry!) of the number of drivers who use indicators to inform you that they have actually started a manoeuvre; rather than the proper use of letting you know they intend to make a manoeuvre.

Ah yes, those! <D

"I am indicating, therefore it is perfectly acceptable for me to pull straight out in front of you. You should have let me in, did you not see that I was indicating?!" Arggghhh.....!!

Buttsy

Established Member
I hope this ruling is also applied to those who sit in the outside lane on a dual carriageway with nothing in the inside lane for miles...

jon0844

Veteran Member
I hope this ruling is also applied to those who sit in the outside lane on a dual carriageway with nothing in the inside lane for miles...

But they're going to be turning right in the next 20 miles or so... :D

People that hog lane two when there's no third lane because they want to ensure they are in the right lane to turn in about an hour from now are particularly frustrating - mostly because they're so scared of driving that they're likely to be going really slow too.

I've been stuck with a lane two hogger doing 40 in a 70mph limit. Now you are allowed to flash or hoot the horn to make someone aware of your presence (not to intimidate) but if you do this, you'll sometimes find that this type of idiot will start waving to the right, or even turn on their right indicator, as if to say 'But I'm turning' even if it's still a few miles to the next junction.

In their mind, they're doing nothing wrong.. and what can you do? The only thing is to bite your lip or undertake. Clearly undertaking is safe, as they've made it clear what they're intending to do, but it's also going to see YOU getting done if you get caught.

Ploughman

Established Member
I had a car written off near Cambridge around 1994 when I was driving normally Northwards to Waterbeach at about 8.30 am.
The other way came a prat off the short Dual carriageway and carried on in the wrong lane.
He saw me and started braking then spinning.
I was just about stopped but with nowhere to go, could see that he was drifting to my left so I went as far right as possible.
He hit me and shoved my near side wheel back into the passenger seat. Luckily no one in that seat that day unlike the previous 5 days.
He then cleared the ditch and rolled. Both of us got out uninjured, his car on fire.
Just then this bloke marches down the line of traffic and arrests him, Off duty copper, who says they are never around when you need them?
When the court case came around his excuse for driving off the end of the DC was that " No Body would let me in"
Magistrate says "Do you consider yourself to be a good driver?"
God Yes I have taken my Advanced Driver test 4 times. ( Why 4? does that mean you failed it 4 times?).
One miffed magistrate.
Result, Dangerous driving when everybody was expecting Due Care and Attention.
5 year ban.

I just hope that there are not many of his attitude on the road. I think though that I may be wrong on that score.

GearJammer

Can you really not see that you're one of these people?

Anyway, you must be a little foolish, because if you are caught doing 150mph you will be looking at an extended driving ban. For many people this would be an inconvenience, but for you it would be unemployment. I guess you view this as an expectable risk, but I personally wouldn't chance it if my livelihood relied upon me keeping my license.

I can't say I'm a complete slave to speed limits, very few people are, but personally I find 100mph+ speeds on public roads pretty unjustifiable. I've also yet to meet anybody who admits to committing such an offence and doesn't come across as an absolute arse in the process.

Yes i know im 'one of those people' but can't you see that you are to? You admit your not a slave to speed limits, so your saying you break the speed limit, but you critisise me for doing it because i done it to, but faster, id also add that yes while i have done what i said above (speeding) its not something i do everytime im driving.

As for me being a good driver, id say yes i am, i have to be to do the job i do, but does following the letter of the law make you a good driver? I don't think it does.

My whole point is no one is perfect and spending the time on the road i do watching people drive... means i see so much, half the time people are driving incorrectly/illegally/inconsiderately and don't even realise it.......... and then they come on the internet and complain about everybody else, it really is comical, well i think it is anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.