• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Intimidating Place To Wait For a Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Preston station is quite eerie late at night.
Will echo that. Its character does seem to change after nightfall. (London Bridge was similar in that regard).

Often some strange types in the waiting room at Preston (between platforms 3 and 4) in the evening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Efini92

Established Member
I don’t think it’s changed much since the late 70’s
The train shed roof and the contrast of dark with the station lighting has always reminded me of something out of a Hitchcock film.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don’t think it’s changed much since the late 70’s
The train shed roof and the contrast of dark with the station lighting has always reminded me of something out of a Hitchcock film.

It used to be very much enhanced late at night by one of the female announcers who basically used to sing the departures. Quite atmospheric.

Once I recall being there (after dark, but not that late on) when a steam charter arrived to a brass band. It was like I'd suddenly been transported back to the 30s or something. And then just as suddenly it departed, the band packed up and the late-1990s diet of Sprinters and Pacers resumed, almost like it had never happened.

greyman42

Established Member
Possilpark & Parkhouse is somewhere I've waited at around midnight for the last Glasgow Queen Street train, and it doesn't feel particularly safe.
Yes, i would not fancy that one myself. A truly deprived area.

scotrail158713

Established Member
When Drumgelloch was a terminus, the last train out of an evening was due to stable there for 15-20 mins before leaving. After only a few weeks, it was agreed that the train could return empty to Airdrie, wait a few minutes there, and do a dash to Drumgelloch to pick up any passengers. Safety of staff was the quoted reason. The train might even have had 2 drivers, one at each end, so that the driver didn't have to walk along the platform.

So dangerous even the train can't wait there.
I took the train back from the Scotland v Belgium match in September 2019 from Queen Street to Edinburgh via the A-B line. There was certainly a few stations around there that I wouldn't fancy waiting long at.

APT618S

Another one from the Glasgow suburbs - in the 1990s I visited Summerston station and it seemed to be surrounded by several rather grim looking tower blocks. Was glad to get away.

Gloster

Established Member
Although I haven’t used it late in the evening for some years, I used to find Ryde Esplanade bus station somewhat worrying at times. I know that that it is not the railway station, but they are both part of the same block and the rail platforms are much less visible to road traffic, passers by, etc. It was a mixture of screaming groups of teenagers (or younger) and various less than attractive characters who appeared to be under the influence of one substance or another. I would not like to to be waiting on the platform for one of the late trains if some of them decided to wander across from the bus station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Although I haven’t used it late in the evening for some years, I used to find Ryde Esplanade bus station somewhat worrying at times. I know that that it is not the railway station, but they are both part of the same block and the rail platforms are much less visible to road traffic, passers by, etc. It was a mixture of screaming groups of teenagers (or younger) and various less than attractive characters who appeared to be under the influence of one substance or another. I would not like to to be waiting on the platform for one of the late trains if some of them decided to wander across from the bus station.

The toilets there are particularly disgusting and threatening.

the sniper

Established Member
I daren't stay there more than 10/15 minutes and actually feel safer walking around the streets outside the station.

And that's saying something!

It seems to be a magnet for beggers and undesirables (some with rather threatening behaviour).

Unfortunately that was predicted by many when the new station design was revealed, that it was totally uncontrollable. The old station was just about manageable and in those days Birmingham city centre was less of a Zoo...

BJames

Established Member
Blackpool North, it's like waiting for a train in Pyongyang!

In all seriousness, however, from my experience, waiting for a London-bound train at Edmonton Green at night isn't all that pleasant... although the same could be said about most of the stations along that line, unfortunately!

Edit: I've also found that Aldershot can be pretty scary to wait at during the dark.
Would agree with some of the West Anglia stations - my dad was punched at Seven Sisters by someone who clearly had a mental deficiency (and a carer with him) - and this is a relatively well-staffed station for this branch.

I found Edenbridge (not town, the other one) quite creepy at night - just me and my mum there, not a single other person on either platform, with a 45 minute wait on a very dark night. We'd never been to this station so went to the platform along the slim alleyway - no problems at the actual station but it had the vibe of a place that could be a serious problem if undesirables did turn up.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Would agree with some of the West Anglia stations - my dad was punched at Seven Sisters by someone who clearly had a mental deficiency (and a carer with him) - and this is a relatively well-staffed station for this branch.

I found Edenbridge (not town, the other one) quite creepy at night - just me and my mum there, not a single other person on either platform, with a 45 minute wait on a very dark night. We'd never been to this station so went to the platform along the slim alleyway - no problems at the actual station but it had the vibe of a place that could be a serious problem if undesirables did turn up.

Despite being in an excruciatingly posh place Aughton Park would be pretty fearsome at night, being hidden away in a (then) heavily wooded cutting, and before it got CCTV (which was not that long ago) it used to have a bit of a drug problem at night. Think Peartree but a nicer area and more trains.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Only twice I have ever felt on edge travelling around the country.

One was on Byker station (I think it was) on the T&W Metro one night a few years ago - it seemed like every dodgy character on Tyneside was amassed on the opposite platform with the usual behaviour / language / activities. They didn't cause me any grief or anything but I've never been more relieved to get on a train!

The second was a late Saturday night train between Glasgow and Dumbarton - I'd clocked the usual creatures knocking about the train but the mixture of darkness and the quiet carriages the further we got out of the city probably made it feel worse than it was. Again no harm came by me but not a feeling I want to repeat any time soon!

Journeyman

Established Member
Altnabreac (and yes, I have), not because of scallies/chavs/any people whatsoever, but because if it all goes wrong you're very much on your own, 10+ miles from civilisation. I guess a few of the WHL stations are the same, e.g. Corrour.
I have as well, it's quite an experience!

My vote goes to Springburn. The area outside the station is absolutely gruesomely awful, and I've seen some really dodgy looking people around.

I also accidentally strayed into a very unpleasant part of Chicago while riding the El there in 2014. I was heading for the end of a line which was perfectly safe enough, apparently, but it went through a properly gruesome ghetto on the way. Before long I felt like I massively stood out like a sore thumb and the atmosphere on board the train felt pretty awful, like everyone was staring at me. I bailed out and headed back into the city as soon as I could and got back unscathed, but I found out afterwards that I'd strayed into one of the city's most notorious neighbourhoods and I was lucky to get out without grief.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I've felt uneasy at the following due to scallies and drunks: Stevenston, Kirkby, Ellesmere Port, Northfleet, Kenton and Farncombe or Godalming (not sure which one it was)

Surprised at Farncombe or Godalming. Basingstoke apparently isn't very nice to wait at though.

lkpridgeon

Verified Rep - FastJP
Surprised at Farncombe or Godalming. Basingstoke apparently isn't very nice to wait at though.
Basingstoke is fine to wait at. Well staffed, lit, secure and in the nicer part of town near the malls that have their own security knocking about most of the evening too meaning very few undesirables knocking about. I've done too much waiting there over the last year :lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Basingstoke is fine to wait at. Well staffed, lit, secure and in the nicer part of town near the malls that have their own security knocking about most of the evening too meaning very few undesirables knocking about. I've done too much waiting there over the last year :lol:

It's also a very nice station with plenty of cover and waiting accommodation on the platforms, so whilst I've not actually waited there since the 1990's, it's always struck me as a decent place to wait at.

prod_pep

Established Member
One I forgot to mention was Ore station and the surrounding area. I've only been there a couple of times but it felt like a rough area of town, with undesirables hanging around and an odour of weed lingering in the air. Plenty of traces of previous graffiti across the station, too.

Seven Sisters is another good shout. I've stayed in a guesthouse a short walk from that station in West Green and it's a distinctly unpleasant area. Not that Ilford, home of the cheapo London hotel, is any better!

Journeyman

Established Member
One I forgot to mention was Ore station and the surrounding area. I've only been there a couple of times but it felt like a rough area of town, with undesirables hanging around and an odour of weed lingering in the air. Plenty of traces of previous graffiti across the station, too.

Seven Sisters is another good shout. I've stayed in a guesthouse a short walk from that station in West Green and it's a distinctly unpleasant area. Not that Ilford, home of the cheapo London hotel, is any better!
I used to work for LU at the top end of the Victoria Line. The level of aggro staff get around there is terrible - guns and knives were regularly brandished. After 6 unhappy months there i was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Sprinter107

Kings Norton. A few less-than-reputable looking characters hanging around, coupled with that long, dark walkway up from the Birmingham-bound platform of an evening always made me relieved to reach the Pershore Road exit.
But the Birmingham city centre early Saturday evenings, especially around The Square Peg on Corporation Street where I regularly had to catch a bus, was far more intimidating, and on a couple of occasions physically so ....
Yes, im not keen on Kings Norton station either, I wont use it after nightfall. If I have any need to go there at night, I'll catch at bus to another station. I avoid Smethwick Galton Bridge too, especially the Low Level after nightfall. There's nowhere to run if under attack.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I think at Godalming you get mugged by gangs of gentlemen in tweed.

Being an early riser I don't tend to be on trains at night much though, one station I was at in the dark was Sandwell & Dudley and it wasn't the best of experiences. Luckily I wasn't on my own!

Gathursty

Established Member
I think at Godalming you get mugged by gangs of gentlemen in tweed.

Being an early riser I don't tend to be on trains at night much though, one station I was at in the dark was Sandwell & Dudley and it wasn't the best of experiences. Luckily I wasn't on my own!
They were definitely kids in trackies. I was surprised seeing them given leafy Surrey is meant to be much more wealthier and a lightyear of difference to Wigan.

Romsey

The couple of times I have used Queenstown Road or the nearby Battersea Park after dark there were no issues - well lit and trains passing frequently. One thing the undesirables don't like is being watched..... The estates towards the gate into Stewarts Lane are a different matter.

Pokesdown isn't at all nice, too many druggies in the area. On a track renewal job a few years ago, the first job in daylight was to go "needle picking" from the track to be relaid. To save any problems, all signing on and messing facilities were some distance away with security guards on the gates to road and railway. ( 52 hours to relay about 600 yards plus three full sharps containers and some flick knives for disposal!)

The last train out of any major town on a Saturday night can be unnerving. Not drugs, knives or treats of violence, just loads of 20 something women "lubricated" up to the eyeballs. I've heard swearing around the docks, railways and road haulage, but they would make any old docker blush ..... it's a different level and feels threatening.

RailWonderer

Established Member
I have to agree I was in Birmingham a few weeks ago and found the city centre to be very sketchy early evening
Me also. North of it, Perry Barr is also not a good place, nor Balham in South London, but both are suburbs of big cities and are the only 'intimidating' stations I've used. Luckily I only had to use them at sunset, I was safely on my way by the time it got dark.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Pokesdown isn't at all nice, too many druggies in the area. On a track renewal job a few years ago, the first job in daylight was to go "needle picking" from the track to be relaid. To save any problems, all signing on and messing facilities were some distance away with security guards on the gates to road and railway. ( 52 hours to relay about 600 yards plus three full sharps containers and some flick knives for disposal!)
I was thinking of Pokesdown too. Set in a rather grim cutting, the station is very "echoey" and rather depressing all round.

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
West Worthing late night on occasion can be a problem with no staff after about 19:30 & no Gateline so the platform waiting canopy structures & underpass can draw non travelling undesirables.

Wandsworth Common station at night not great either, literally adjoins the Common.

Last edited:

Sprinter107

Me also. North of it, Perry Barr is also not a good place, nor Balham in South London, but both are suburbs of big cities and are the only 'intimidating' stations I've used. Luckily I only had to use them at sunset, I was safely on my way by the time it got dark.
Yes, id agree with Perry Barr. This is another station I use only when I have no choice. If I've got to to and from Perry Barr, from late afternoon onwards, I use a bus.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Ore's my local station and I have to admit that while that was certainly true in the past the station has improved a lot in recent years.

The development of the former carriage sheds into a housing estate with a college, station drop-off facilities, and a corner shop-cum-Subway, the adoption of the station by the Ore Transport Group, and increased service levels and patronage have all contributed to making the area quite lively into the late evening and an undesirable place for undesirables. Not that antisocial behaviour and smoking Beelzebub's kale doesn't happen, but it's not what it was.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Altnabreac (and yes, I have), not because of scallies/chavs/any people whatsoever, but because if it all goes wrong you're very much on your own, 10+ miles from civilisation. I guess a few of the WHL stations are the same, e.g. Corrour.
yes for me a station or indeed bus stop for that matter is not intimidating because of the warm welcome provided by the selection of friendly locals but more because of the possibility of the rail or bus service collapsing and being able to get away or contact anybody as help point sometimes don't work or are answered and and trying to find a transport company at any time is hard work let alone at 9 on a Sunday evening in December

Status
Not open for further replies.