• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mountsorrel Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
There is steam on the Branch this weekend - 0-6-0 Austerity with two coaches I believe. It is not running through to and from the GCR, just the branch line and the narrow gauge is also running.
Where is the narrow gauge located?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nothing at all to do with the GCR as in the preserved railway operating company.

It's run by the Mountsorrel and Rothley Community Heritage Centre which is the group that owns and operates the Mountsorrel branch line and facilities on it. The GCR operates the trains for them on running days and provides traincrews.

Profits are reinvested into the heritage centre.

It's a fantastic little establishment with really nice food, good service and surroundings. It's extremely popular with the locals of a lunchtime despite it being located quite a way out of the villages.
I’ve been there a couple of times and must agree it is really nice.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Where is the narrow gauge located?
Hi Stevieboy
It is part of the complex at Mountsorrel Station, it is just a simple triangle layout with a diesel shunter and a few trucks doing demonstration shunting, I don't know if they carry passengers.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I was rather surprised to see Mk.1 stock being used on the branch - I'd assume it would be a DMU drag as I'm sure I'd see somewhere that the Mk.1 coaches couldn't go down there. Clearly that was incorrect info!

Flying Phil

Established Member
The branch will be operating on w/e July 21/22nd. Details are sketchy on the GCR website, but I think the signalling work could be finished, so there may well be running from Quorn (and Rothley?) to the Branch.

beepea

For those interested in the background of the Mountsorrel railway there is a short history at http://heritage-centre.co.uk/visit-us/a-brief-history-of-the-railway/.

Who "owns" the line is rather confusing (with several "owners"). The Heritage Centre, quarry recreation, stations, museums, garden railway, and shunting areas (narrow and standard gauge) are run by volunteers from the Mountsorrel and Rothley Community Heritage Centre (MARCH), a separate not-for-profit company. The GCR, as mentioned, provide the rolling stock, trains and crews for the various running weekends. All ticket sales are through the GCR.

The upgrade to the signalling at Swithland was, I believe, a joint venture. MARCH raised funds and the GCR are performing the work.

No news on the MARCH website regarding the July 21/22 running days, this is likely to be announced on the GCR's website first.

I think there is still some signalling work to complete (electrical ?) at Swithland.

A0wen

On Moderation
Out of interest, does anyone know what's happening with the AC cars railbus that's at the GCR? According to Railcar.co.uk the Mountsorrel Association took it on for restoration for use on the branch - don't recall seeing it when I was at the GC a couple of weeks back.

Tomnick

Established Member
The branch will be operating on w/e July 21/22nd. Details are sketchy on the GCR website, but I think the signalling work could be finished, so there may well be running from Quorn (and Rothley?) to the Branch.
If there is any through running, it’ll access the branch from the Quorn direction and leave towards Rothley - that’s what the signalling alterations will permit.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Out of interest, does anyone know what's happening with the AC cars railbus that's at the GCR? According to Railcar.co.uk the Mountsorrel Association took it on for restoration for use on the branch - don't recall seeing it when I was at the GC a couple of weeks back.
The AC Railcar has moved from Loughborough to Quorn and I believe it will be going to Nemesis Rail(?) for renovation.

A0wen

On Moderation
The AC Railcar has moved from Loughborough to Quorn and I believe it will be going to Nemesis Rail(?) for renovation.

Interesting - does that mean it's changed hands and if it has, who's the new owner?

tjlrailblue

that's great news it's not been scrapped then

i often walked round the back of the shed to look at it and the other items stored there on visits to the gcr

tim

Flying Phil

Established Member
There will be four DMU trips each day, to and from Quorn, along the Mountsorrel Branch this weekend. Diesel hauled trains on the GCR due to fire risk.

There will be four DMU trips each day, to and from Quorn, along the Mountsorrel Branch this weekend. Diesel hauled trains on the GCR due to fire risk.

Hello there is there any chance of trains running up the branch (hopefully using 08's) at the diesel gala at the beginning of September

theblackwatch

Established Member
Hello there is there any chance of trains running up the branch (hopefully using 08's) at the diesel gala at the beginning of September

I understand that trains will operate on the branch on the Saturday. Not sure of the motive power though.

Flying Phil

Established Member
From the GCR website, Oct 20th and 21st for the next running on the Branch line.

mushroomchow

From the GCR website, Oct 20th and 21st for the next running on the Branch line.

Noticed some roadworks at the junction next to the centre with what looks like a burst water main at the T junction (water running down the road) - but there also seems to be work being done to the bridge - structural maintenance or a precaution given the proximity of the leak?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Noticed some roadworks at the junction next to the centre with what looks like a burst water main at the T junction (water running down the road) - but there also seems to be work being done to the bridge - structural maintenance or a precaution given the proximity of the leak?
I think it is a routine upgrading of the water main as they have been working their way along the road for a few months now.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The area to the side of the shed has been cleared and groundworkDSCF8201.JPG done for the new single road extension to be built.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Well the shed extension has had the steelwork erected and the cladding built, so it looks like this today! It will increase the shed space by 50% so restoration work will be separated from a display area. There will obviously be quite a sharp curve from a new point to access that new shed road. I do hope that there will be another section added to make the frontage symmetrical though....DSCF8220.JPG

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very interesting. Hoping to have a look around in a few weeks too.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The website has good news re the Brush Tank engine from the Snibston site, coincidently I visited the Mountsorrel Centre yesterday and the cafe was packed! Obviously it is a popular destination which is good to see.
The work is continuing on fitting out the interior of the shed extension.
The branch line is going to be in use on the last Sunday of each month from March through to October and certain Wednesdays (April 17th, 24th and August 7th, 14th) to coincide with School holidays. It is also going to be in use for the GCR "Goods Galore" event May 11th and 12th. There is a very nice display in the small shed alongside the big restoration/display shed, which highlights how the branch line has evolved and been re-built.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's a great little project this.
Thanks for all the updates too.

Does anyone know if there are any services running up the line during the diesel gala?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Does anyone know if there are any services running up the line during the diesel gala?
Yes
On the GC website there is a section for the Mountsorrel Branch and that gives the running days - the Diesel Gala running is on there.

Yes
On the GC website there is a section for the Mountsorrel Branch and that gives the running days - the Diesel Gala running is on there.

Excellent thanks, any idea,I know its early days, but as to if the train going up will be hauled by 08's?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Tomorrow will see the Branch in operation for the first time this year. There will be four services Quorn - Mountsorrel Branch - Rothley - Quorn. Top and Tailed by 47406 (Jinty) and 68067 (Austerity Tank)

Status
Not open for further replies.