• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Crossrail Trainee Train Driver Old Oak Common

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfxdude

Was there a particular test people failed?

I couldn't say for certain but about half of our group failed after the first tests, the GBT and TRP1 and 2. I think the GBT was the main sticking point, and it's definitely accuracy over speed.

I was getting about 9/10 lines at near enough 100% accuracy in practices. The key is not to rush! I know I made some mistakes in the actual test as well, noticed as I was handing back in I'd missed one on the first line (doh!), but still passed.

TRP1 and 2 is similar to the practice tests. 1 is learning a passage of text, and then answering questions on those. 2 is the dials. Slightly more complex than the practice tests but not necessarily harder. I can't really offer any more advice on those ones.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magoo

I couldn't say for certain but about half of our group failed after the first tests, the GBT and TRP1 and 2. I think the GBT was the main sticking point, and it's definitely accuracy over speed.

I was getting about 9/10 lines at near enough 100% accuracy in practices. The key is not to rush! I know I made some mistakes in the actual test as well, noticed as I was handing back in I'd missed one on the first line (doh!), but still passed.

TRP1 and 2 is similar to the practice tests. 1 is learning a passage of text, and then answering questions on those. 2 is the dials. Slightly more complex than the practice tests but not necessarily harder. I can't really offer any more advice on those ones.

The GBT is the killer tbh. First time round I didn't pass. Went back second application and passed it. Tried to work faster the second time but you need both speed and accuracy to do well.

Good luck all

Fricker89

I literally just got the best phone call ever 10mins ago!

I start in March 2017! A long wait but very excited!

CaseyJones

Hello all i've been a long time reader of this forum and congratulations to all, no matter how far you are in the MTR application process. I am happy to announced that my DMI has been confirmed for next week at Liverpool street(you know the place!). After two grueling assessments and a tense MMI i really cant believe ive reached this far. It is my first attempt at any TOC job and therefore feel that the finishing line is in sight, it can really happen! Ive read other peoples descriptions of their DMI so any more words of wisdom will do great. Am currently reading up about MTR and practising stock interview questions.

Fricker89

Yes draksy my date was 06/03/17!

So my experience of the DMI is as follows...
I turned up about 15mins early expecting to be called exactly of the time of my interview but was actually called 10mins late :D. My interview was with the area depot manager west, and a driver manager. From the very beginning they made me relaxed saying that it's just a getting to no me excersise (obviously it isn't just that). They asked a handful of competency based questions which you all probably know. They asked like 2 MMI styled questions. You need to know about MTR Crossrail and MTR Corporation. Everything you need to know is on their websites. The interview lasted no longer than an hour. There were places where I felt I stumbled a little bit but during the interview if I felt like I didn't know something I was honest and said I don't know. Don't try and feed them lines. It will not work. Both interviewers were very professional and I came away thinking they gave me every opportunity to answer their questions etc..... After the competency questions they just asked general questions and discussed what will happen after the interview and potential start dates, salary, working timetable.... Then you will have an opportunity to ask them questions.... And that was it in a nutshell! If anyone does need any info please don't hesitate to ask me and I will try to help if I can! Good luck all and hope to see you all at the training!!!

CaseyJones

I turned up about 15mins early expecting to be called exactly of the time of my interview but was actually called 10mins late :D. My interview was with the area depot manager west, and a driver manager.

Thanks Fricker, were you caught out by any questions i.e had to think about it for a minute mid interview? I had to pause for a bit in my mmi and really struggled to give further examples when prompted. I thought because of this i wouldnt be successful. Also my email confirming my DMI says it will be with two depot managers. Is this a typo should it be line manager AND depot manager?

Interlude

Hello all,

My TTD job offer from MTR Crossrail come through today, so I'd just thought I'd jump on here and thank everyone who's contributed to this thread. I've been an avid reader since applying, and have no doubt that the content has contributed to my successful application. My advice to anyone interested in applying for MTR vacancies (or, indeed, any other TOC/FOC) is to work through this thread, and take on board the excellent advice on offer.

See you on the course! :D

Interlude

Congratulations to you as well!!!:D
When is you course if you know..?

Many thanks!

My start date is 07/03/2017. An odd feeling to think that I'll be in my current job for another year, but I suspect it'll be well worth the wait!

Fricker89

Thanks Fricker, were you caught out by any questions i.e had to think about it for a minute mid interview? I had to pause for a bit in my mmi and really struggled to give further examples when prompted. I thought because of this i wouldnt be successful. Also my email confirming my DMI says it will be with two depot managers. Is this a typo should it be line manager AND depot manager?[/QUOTE]

Yes Casey I was caught out by one question and did need to pause for a second before I went on a rant which is what they don't want!! But they were very patient! And my email stated area depot manager and one other to be confirmed. Well done interlude! Starting pretty much same time!

NUP

Hey guys (and ladies),

Had my DMI about 2 weeks ago and got the lovely call about 3 hours later with the good news. Was wondering if anyone else has a start date of 6th February 2017, be good to get to know a few people before training :). Good luck to the rest of you and well done to the ones who already have a start date

Kenwest83

I turned up about 15mins early expecting to be called exactly of the time of my interview but was actually called 10mins late :D. My interview was with the area depot manager west, and a driver manager. From the very beginning they made me relaxed saying that it's just a getting to no me excersise (obviously it isn't just that). They asked a handful of competency based questions which you all probably know. They asked like 2 MMI styled questions. You need to know about MTR Crossrail and MTR Corporation. Everything you need to know is on their websites. The interview lasted no longer than an hour. There were places where I felt I stumbled a little bit but during the interview if I felt like I didn't know something I was honest and said I don't know. Don't try and feed them lines. It will not work. Both interviewers were very professional and I came away thinking they gave me every opportunity to answer their questions etc..... After the competency questions they just asked general questions and discussed what will happen after the interview and potential start dates, salary, working timetable.... Then you will have an opportunity to ask them questions.... And that was it in a nutshell! If anyone does need any info please don't hesitate to ask me and I will try to help if I can! Good luck all and hope to see you all at the training!!!

You mention the working timetable, did they go in to shift plans etc? I'd be interested to know what the hours would be.

Thanks

NUP

Hey guys (and ladies),

Had my DMI 2 weeks ago and got the lovely call that I've got the trainee position about 3 hours later. I was wondering if anyone else has a start date of 6th February, would be good to get to know a few trainees before the course starts :).

CaseyJones

Just been doing my revision of MTR and Crossrail for my DMI. Obviously i can't prepare fully for the interview but can anyone rack their brains and remember what other questions they were asked? Were they competency based questions based on the QTDPQ? I guess in that case questions would be tailored individually. Hope im not over thinking this!

Hammer4life

Not many competency based questions that I remember, was mainly Tell us about yourself and why do you want this job.
And in my opinion don't over do it on the research, I reckon I done about 60 mins in total of research about their present and future plans. That seemed to be enough as I got the job.

Also try to relax in there, at one point we were talking about football and video games for 5 mins lol seriously though it helps to relax a bit, I reckon you'll answer the questions better.

All the best

CaseyJones

Not many competency based questions that I remember, was mainly Tell us about yourself and why do you want this job.
And in my opinion don't over do it on the research, I reckon I done about 60 mins in total of research about their present and future plans. That seemed to be enough as I got the job.

Also try to relax in there, at one point we were talking about football and video games for 5 mins lol seriously though it helps to relax a bit, I reckon you'll answer the questions better.

All the best

Haha, seems like my sort of interview then. I suppose that is the best advise, to just be yourself and let the conversation flow. I hope it really is a relaxed interview as you say! :p

scabek

Can anybody remember if we had to attach our CV to the application at the very start of the process?

Nope, not required. Verified by the MTR HR assistant. However nothing stopping you copy and paste it in the additional information section

csa Pat

hi everyone, its my first post on this forum. to start with thank you all for your tremendous amount of tips and advice. i just had my DM Interview for old oak last thursday 10.03.16 but haven't heard anything yet. when i left the room i felt that i let myself down as could have said that could have said this. i have seen that a lot of people has got their response within 24 hours. Does that mean anything?

RHP202020

hi everyone, its my first post on this forum. to start with thank you all for your tremendous amount of tips and advice. i just had my DM Interview for old oak last thursday 10.03.16 but haven't heard anything yet. when i left the room i felt that i let myself down as could have said that could have said this. i have seen that a lot of people has got their response within 24 hours. Does that mean anything?

Hey pal don't worry too much about it. I had my interview on a Friday and they told me the good news on the following Thursday so it is not a biggie. And in regards with the answers to the questions you could have given, I had some weak answers with my one and didn't answer some of the questions regarding the company. But I showed them who I really am and just been honest about myself. I believe they just want to know who you really are. So yeah I winged it and still passed so don't worry too much. You'll hear the good news very soon I'm sure.

csa Pat

thank you very much for your reply RHP202020,i can stop beating myself for the time being:D. when is your training starting? did they give you the date at the end of the interview? they told me if i was to be successful i'll be starting in April 2017.

iWantIn

Congrats csa pat, RHP202020 for making it o the managers interview. Csa hope it goes well for you.

Just wanted to ask you two when you started the application process, when you had you're 1st and second assessment.

Oh was there any hints as to if they would be recruiting again this year?

Thanks

csa Pat

i started in nov2015 and had my both my assessment in FEb2016 . haven't heard anything about any recruitment,some of my colleagues were given their 1st assessment day in sept2016

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.