• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My dad rang me up yesterday and said....

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
...."I've just found a complete set of working timetables from 1989 in the attic. Do you want them or shall I throw them out?".

Answers on a postcard to......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
When he says full set, what are we talking? Passenger and freight for the whole network?

4SRKT

Established Member
I think so. He worked in the BRB train planning department for more than 15 years and said it was a set from the year he left, which was 1989. I'm looking forward to finding out......

richa2002

Established Member
Very interesting! I'd certainly be interested if you were looking at getting rid of them.

4SRKT

Established Member
I'll be keeping them I think, but I'll let you know what they're like!

4SRKT

Established Member
I'm definitely going to keep them. Depending on how many volumes it actually is, it could take up quite a lot of room. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Apparantly there's also a number of items of Hornby Dublo three rail rolling stock up there. Could be an interesting visit next time I'm over. This partly makes up for him throwing away a 1986 Northern Ireland Railways timetable last year, that had managed to survive 24 years unmolested in his attic, only to be chucked out on seeing the light of day. Grrrr.

deltic1989

Established Member
You get all the fun. My dad rang me up yesterday and said I was adopted.

*I'll get my coat*

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Are you quite mad? What could be more exciting than a complete set of working timetables from 1989?

Do you want me to answer that? :)

Seriously though, whatever floats your boat. I can't say I would find a complete set of working timetables from 1989 particularly interesting but some people may, so live and let live.

sprinterguy

Established Member
While it may not be what it used to be, there are few things that beat a healthy dose of nostalgia once in a while!

FlyingScot

Are you quite mad? What could be more exciting than a complete set of working timetables from 1989?

I'm not mad, who would want to read about trains that have left long ago?

Well, here's a list of more exciting things......
A new star wars movie
A second wave of hornby products
Some lego

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think it's quite interesting to see how much services have changed (usually for the better), and how they have not changed. For example the local station to my parents house now has 4tph during the day and 5tph peaks. Back in the 1983 timetable I have there were less than 5 trains per day!

On the other hand the service on the Watford DC lines doesn't seem to have changed much at all. Back then it was 3tph and it still is now.

4SRKT

Established Member
It's a bit absurd to say that because something is in the past then it is of no interest. The vast bulk of books written about the railways are ponderous volumes with titles like 'Branch Lines to East Grinstead' that describe railway operations of yesteryear to a willing readership. There clearly is a market for such things.

Chester025

I think it's quite interesting to see how much services have changed (usually for the better), and how they have not changed. For example the local station to my parents house now has 4tph during the day and 5tph peaks. Back in the 1983 timetable I have there were less than 5 trains per day!

Out of interest where was that? It sounds very similiar to the Crewe - Cardiff service, in the past there was only a few trains a day, now there is an hourly service aswell as a extra from Shrewsbury every 2 hours from Holyhead.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Out of interest where was that? It sounds very similiar to the Crewe - Cardiff service, in the past there was only a few trains a day, now there is an hourly service aswell as a extra from Shrewsbury every 2 hours from Holyhead.
Station is Filton in South Gloucestershire (moved a few metres down the track in the mid 1990s and gained the suffix Abbey Wood).

Back in those days it was served Northbound by the 06.08 (Temple Meads - Cardiff), a 06.59 (Parson Street - Filton), a 07.43 (Weston super Mare - Cardiff), and a 17.30 (Temple Meads - Cardiff). Southbound there was the 06.45, 07.28, 08.45, 15.51 (FO), 16.49 (FX), 18.51 and 22.24 (all Cardiff - Temple Meads except the 15.51 / 16.49 which started at Filton).

The service now is Southbound towards Temple Meads 4tph (Cardiff - Portsmouth, Cardiff - Taunton, Parkway - Weston super Mare and Worcester/Gloucester - Westbury/Weymouth) and corresponding return trips heading North.

Ivo

Established Member
For those who question why we have this stuff:

I have a map from 1986 and I wasn't even alive then! Some of us do like this kind of junk; gives us our adrenaline! And I was given a 1947 Atlas for Christmas as well.

OK, maybe not, but you get the idea. Nostalgia for the win...!

Anyway, I think it would be interesting to see if there are any major changes in the timetable that none of us knew of. I don't know; maybe a random change to Garston trains serving Kirkby and not Southport [as was initially the case], for instance? Some of the less obvious examples than those listed previously?

FlyingScot

Evidently 4SRKT does...

I can see that quite clearly.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For those who question why we have this stuff:

I have a map from 1986 and I wasn't even alive then! Some of us do like this kind of junk; gives us our adrenaline! And I was given a 1947 Atlas for Christmas as well.

OK, maybe not, but you get the idea. Nostalgia for the win...!

Anyway, I think it would be interesting to see if there are any major changes in the timetable that none of us knew of. I don't know; maybe a random change to Garston trains serving Kirkby and not Southport [as was initially the case], for instance? Some of the less obvious examples than those listed previously?

Oh, leave me alone! It's not everything about the past I don't like, it's just timetables! I would only be interested in timetables if you could see the trains they list! I have the great western anniversary book from 1985, and that is one of my favourite railway books!

FlyingScot

It's a bit absurd to say that because something is in the past then it is of no interest. The vast bulk of books written about the railways are ponderous volumes with titles like 'Branch Lines to East Grinstead' that describe railway operations of yesteryear to a willing readership. There clearly is a market for such things.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that timetables from the past are of no interest! They only tell us when trains leave or come back, they had their purpose, but now they are of no use.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I'm not saying that, I'm saying that timetables from the past are of no interest! They only tell us when trains leave or come back, they had their purpose, but now they are of no use.

They may be of no operational use, but they can still be of interest.

Ivo

Established Member
Always interesting to see how the past services have shaped what we have today. (And to see how much worse things are in some places; Liverpool Lime Street being a good example.) Also, they help me with my crazy ideas regarding [Mersey Metro]/[Cardiff Metro]/[Bristol Tram]/[South Essex Tram]/[Brighton Metro]/[etc], as they allow us to see how much busier some areas are and how some are now close to capacity, such as the GEML.

Sorry FlyingScot; didn't mean to offend you. I actually posted that without realising there was a second page initially...

Status
Not open for further replies.