• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Peter C

Established Member
Some cool photos there @reddragon - the Garratt on the long rake of coaches looks particularly impressive. Shame about those Dapol wagons, but I suppose it's sort-of to be expected with Dapol now.
Re. bargains: that makes two of us - I got a decent bargain on eBay the other day as well. I'm keeping it quiet until it arrives though... ;)

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
Some cool photos there @reddragon - the Garratt on the long rake of coaches looks particularly impressive. Shame about those Dapol wagons, but I suppose it's sort-of to be expected with Dapol now.
Re. bargains: that makes two of us - I got a decent bargain on eBay the other day as well. I'm keeping it quiet until it arrives though... ;)

-Peter
It made a good contrast to a pair of Bachmann 2As I was interested in that went for £109!

Peter C

Established Member
It made a good contrast to a pair of Bachmann 2As I was interested in that went for £109!
Blimey! eBay prices are through the roof for a lot of things at the moment. They're not too bad for older models though.

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
I just watch lots of items, have a few tricks and wait for some luck!
That's my technique too: I've got some 200-odd items on my watch list :) Sometimes you get sent offers for items too, which makes them even better. I haven't done any bidding on auction listings in ages: I lost a few and then found buy-it-now listings which had more detail and were closer to what I wanted and went for those instead.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
This morning I did a simple oo gauge search on ending soonest. This only works before 11 am. This is how I bagged a bargain!

reddragon

Established Member
Love the Garratt! What a machine.
Not tested its limit yet!

Today I had the Dapol Western hauling a 14 coach train and the Lima 59 on the 14 wagon container train deputising for the absent 66.

The Lima 37 was playing with the open wagons & shorts with 15 wagons and a Guards van. It seriously needs a stay alive!

~~ Wednesday~~

My latest arrival is a WR RFO making a nice pairing. One hook missing and minor damage on a bogie now at the back. Its mixed with some Mainline mk1s

1619003000649.png

Tonight I bid on a Class 33/1 on eBay but it went above my limit & its new price. Luckily, Hattons listed one tonight at below list price so I ordered it filling a big gap in my fleet. It will get the chip out of my class 110.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not tested its limit yet!

Today I had the Dapol Western hauling a 14 coach train and the Lima 59 on the 14 wagon container train deputising for the absent 66.

The Lima 37 was playing with the open wagons & shorts with 15 wagons and a Guards van. It seriously needs a stay alive!

~~ Wednesday~~

My latest arrival is a WR RFO making a nice pairing. One hook missing and minor damage on a bogie now at the back. Its mixed with some Mainline mk1s

View attachment 94853

Tonight I bid on a Class 33/1 on eBay but it went above my limit & its new price. Luckily, Hattons listed one tonight at below list price so I ordered it filling a big gap in my fleet. It will get the chip out of my class 110.
That RFO is very nice. A 33/1 will be a very useful addition too.

Peter C

Established Member
Those are some very strong engines then! At least with a layout like yours you can have a realistic, scale-length train running around and it looks normal and prototypical.

The videos I've seen on stay-alives are brilliant. The engine can carry on working for several seconds after being completely removed from the track, which I find impressive (even though it is, to my knowledge, essentially a capacitor with maybe some fancy bits added?).

~~ Wednesday~~

View attachment 94853
Time to break out the 'What @Cowley said' sign - I can only really echo his thoughts. The detail is very good on that. I've not got around to getting any Blood & Custard Mk1s yet but seeing those makes them more appealing. The two restaurant cars together is definitely a train I want a ticket for!

I've seen a lot of 33s on layouts recently - mainly @Cowley's. I assume it's a Heljan model you've gone for?

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Time to break out the 'What @Cowley said' sign - I can only really echo his thoughts. The detail is very good on that. I've not got around to getting any Blood & Custard Mk1s yet but seeing those makes them more appealing. The two restaurant cars together is definitely a train I want a ticket for!

I've seen a lot of 33s on layouts recently - mainly @Cowley's. I assume it's a Heljan model you've gone for?

-Peter
The RU has a kitchen and unclassified seats. The RFO is just a FO dedicated to serving meals from the RU

The 33/1 is Heljan. If its good I might get a Hymek too

## Friday ##

Today I started the down Loco / MU sidings. Pics in a few days :)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The RU has a kitchen and unclassified seats. The RFO is just a FO dedicated to serving meals from the RU

The 33/1 is Heljan. If its good I might get a Hymek too

## Friday ##

Today I started the down Loco / MU sidings. Pics in a few days :)

Have you got much track left to do now?

reddragon

Established Member
Have you got much track left to do now?
Down to under half a box. Currently doing the down TMD.

Laid the throat and power CNs for the down TMD and used 6 points & 7 lengths of track. The depot has a fuel point for 2 tracks of a total of 7.

1619277043265.png 1619277074020.png 1619277118652.png 1619277161201.png 1619277199832.png

Next is powering up and extending each track to full length (an a barrier at the end to stop flying locos)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Brilliant.
You’re going to have so much scenery to do!

Peter C

Established Member
Looks like you've got a lot of work done then @reddragon! The TMD looks to be really nice as there's plenty of space for stock. I assume you'll be having an 'Up' TMD and a 'Down' TMD then?

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Looks like you've got a lot of work done then @reddragon! The TMD looks to be really nice as there's plenty of space for stock. I assume you'll be having an 'Up' TMD and a 'Down' TMD then?

-Peter
There is an up TMD, currently closed. Once I finish the insulation it and the up approach will be rebuilt for DCC operation, thus removing shorts enabled by the removal of the old wall some months ago. The hole from the wall needs filling once the eaves above have been insulated and the light I have is put up (so not dark)

1619363236252.png

The down TMD is now nearly full

1619363569136.png

Peter C

Established Member
There is an up TMD, currently closed. Once I finish the insulation it and the up approach will be rebuilt for DCC operation, thus removing shorts enabled by the removal of the old wall some months ago. The hole from the wall needs filling once the eaves above have been insulated and the light I have is put up (so not dark)

View attachment 95060
Ah cool - looks to be a fair bit of space there as well. From that photo it looks like you've got a lot of the work done already! :)

View attachment 95062
I'm liking that. Is the building going to be a permanent feature? It looks good.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Ah cool - looks to be a fair bit of space there as well. From that photo it looks like you've got a lot of the work done already! :)

I'm liking that. Is the building going to be a permanent feature? It looks good.

-Peter
The UP TMD trackwork is original DC. I will need to add insulators if possible or relay and extend.

The 1980's Hornby fuelling point is permanent for now + a few years.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The UP TMD trackwork is original DC. I will need to add insulators if possible or relay and extend.

The 1980's Hornby fuelling point is permanent for now + a few years.

I used to have one of those Hornby ones and it actually looked pretty good with a bit of extra detail and weathering.

Established Member

View attachment 95060

View attachment 95062
Nice work. Reminds me a bit of Derby RTC which is normally full of lots of random stuff.

reddragon

Established Member
I successfully won a loco on eBay last night, so now have 3 en-route. More chances tonight :)

All bar 1 of my oil tankers have departed in line with my railways environmental policy. I only have 1 coach listed now!

Iskra

Established Member
I successfully won a loco on eBay last night, so now have 3 en-route. More chances tonight :)

All bar 1 of my oil tankers have departed in line with my railways environmental policy. I only have 1 coach listed now!
Very good! What loco's have you gone for?

Iskra

Established Member
As each loco arrives I shall post a picture of it :) Won another tonight, some good prices as just before paydays!
Intriguing! Yes, I agree it's important to pick your time for buying and selling carefully. Although I must say nothing much has interested me on there recently.

reddragon

Established Member
Intriguing! Yes, I agree it's important to pick your time for buying and selling carefully. Although I must say nothing much has interested me on there recently.
I now have 4 orders & 4 pre-orders to come, maybe more by the end of the night.

The trick is careful hunting!

Peter C

Established Member

You lucky so-and-so! Good eBay finds seem to be like needles in a hay stack nowadays, especially with auctions. Like you say, you need to be careful for as to when you go searching and what you buy!

-Peter