• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Peter C

Established Member
I have tried some more locos on the 17 coach train

Passed - Hornby 24,25,86,92; Lima 37,52,59,60,73; Mainline 56

Failed - Lima 31 (12); 50 (5); Mainline 42 (9)

Some unexpected results!
Now that is interesting to see the Lima 50 failed. Mine's pretty weak too though having said that. I've also got a Mainline 45 (so not the same as yours but it'll be similar, being a Mainline loco) which couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

My Southern Suburban station is now called

View attachment 93292
Combination of Effingham Junction & Tattenham Corner! Oldest sons idea
I like that. Didn't you say it would be Southern Region concrete? It'll be cool to see that develop. Mixing the two station names together is something you don't see all that often.

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
Now that is interesting to see the Lima 50 failed. Mine's pretty weak too though having said that. I've also got a Mainline 45 (so not the same as yours but it'll be similar, being a Mainline loco) which couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I like that. Didn't you say it would be Southern Region concrete? It'll be cool to see that develop. Mixing the two station names together is something you don't see all that often.

-Peter
The small wheeled Lima's - class 50/55 were always a bit weak - I also did speed testing and locos ranged from a scale 99 to 172 mph

The Southern Station will be 1930s SR concrete platforms yes.

My Class 66 is off to Sound fitting tomorrow too & 3 coaches are off to eBay as I've replaced them with models that natch the whole rake, hopefully at no cost / loss from original purchase price :)

Peter C

Established Member
The small wheeled Lima's - class 50/55 were always a bit weak - I also did speed testing and locos ranged from a scale 99 to 172 mph
There we go then - HS2 is sorted. Scale up a Lima loco and you can leave London at 1700 and be in Birmingham for tea!

The Southern Station will be 1930s SR concrete platforms yes.
Oh cool. I went on holiday to a couple of places in the old Southern Region a few years ago and there are still plenty of stations which have at least some of that old infrastructure, so there are plenty of reference points.

My Class 66 is off to Sound fitting tomorrow too & 3 coaches are off to eBay as I've replaced them with models that natch the whole rake, hopefully at no cost / loss from original purchase price :)
I'd be interested to hear the 66 post-sound fitting. Is it getting one of these fancy bass speakers? They can sound brilliant, especially with a diesel on full power. And that's coming from someone who's not normally interested in all that sort of thing!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I'd be interested to hear the 66 post-sound fitting. Is it getting one of these fancy bass speakers? They can sound brilliant, especially with a diesel on full power. And that's coming from someone who's not normally interested in all that sort of thing!

-Peter
Yes full base speakers & loads of control stuff, air brakes etc. Just need to learn how to drive it properly!

Peter C

Established Member
Yes full base speakers & loads of control stuff, air brakes etc. Just need to learn how to drive it properly!
Excellent! There's so much you can do with DCC and I'm always surprised at what people manage to do with it. I think we've all spoken before about controlling DCC engines and how you really need to learn how to drive them, especially with all that control stuff involved: I wouldn't want to try and wing it with such an expensive bit of kit!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Excellent! There's so much you can do with DCC and I'm always surprised at what people manage to do with it. I think we've all spoken before about controlling DCC engines and how you really need to learn how to drive them, especially with all that control stuff involved: I wouldn't want to try and wing it with such an expensive bit of kit!

-Peter
From full speed it takes over 20m to stop. Imagine that with 20 wagons!

Peter C

Established Member
From full speed it takes over 20m to stop. Imagine that with 20 wagons!
Blimey - I dread to think how many laps around my layout that would be...
Your layout's quite a bit bigger though so it's not going to look like a trainset going around and around though!

-Peter :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m looking forward to seeing a two coach DMU roll over across that viaduct...

reddragon

Established Member
The last journey for my Class 110 prior to removal of chip & reversion to DC for listing on eBay along with 3 Hornby Mk1 WR coaches that mismatch my rake.

1617197862593.png

Today my Garratt, 71000, Lima HST, Hornby HST, Dapol 52 all hauled the 17 coach rake before it was disbanded. My Hornby HST did a scale 246 mph :)

3 Hornby coaches are to go; 6 Mainline will be renumbered and the Mk 2D/E rake will loose its Airfix / Mainline coaches to enable it to become a full Hornby rake one replacements are found.

Peter C

Established Member
The last journey for my Class 110 prior to removal of chip & reversion to DC for listing on eBay along with 3 Hornby Mk1 WR coaches that mismatch my rake.

View attachment 93406
I quite like the Hornby 110s - that one you gave me is a very decent runner. That one looks cool; I haven't seen many selling those ones so I'd be interested to see how much it goes for.

Today my Garratt, 71000, Lima HST, Hornby HST, Dapol 52 all hauled the 17 coach rake before it was disbanded. My Hornby HST did a scale 246 mph :)
I assume this is the new Hornby HST? Wouldn't surprise me to be honest - I'm not sure they've been geared to have a max. speed of 125mph, unlike the original Hornby ones had, according to the catalogue.

3 Hornby coaches are to go; 6 Mainline will be renumbered and the Mk 2D/E rake will loose its Airfix / Mainline coaches to enable it to become a full Hornby rake one replacements are found.
Rails of Sheffield currently have some Hornby blue/grey Mk2s in stock - they're the RailRoad range, so not amazing, and if they're anything like my NR Mk2, they'll be light, but they look the part.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That looks lovely going over the viaduct. Always was a good looking model, although we were pretty bereft of DMUs in the 80s weren’t we?

reddragon

Established Member
Now that does look good. Seeing you get an 08 makes me wonder what's going on as I've just bought a Lima Class 09 - not identical but similar. :)
The weathering on that loco looks decent too: not too much and not too little.

-Peter
I had Lima 09026, until err its gears gave up!

reddragon

Established Member
Never heard of that happen - let's hope it doesn't happen with mine. :)

-Peter
Operation of heavy trains I guess!

###Update 1st April ##

Class 110 is now DC, minus DCC chip & harness loom. Quite a pain to get the body off as you need to unclip frame & windows!!

All shiny & ready for sale in VGC. I will list at eBays next £1 offer, probably next weekend along with 3 coaches

### 2nd April update ###

Listed on eBay now are 3 Hornby WR Mk1's
Live tomorrow will be Class 110, 24 and an Airfix 2d BSO

£1 listing fee went live :)

Well, there's a few thing I'm bidding on so the next refresh sales are essential

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
Apologies for not responding @reddragon - I'd seen your post but forgot to send a reply. I saw the items on eBay the other day but not the 110/24: I'll have a look now. :)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Apologies for not responding @reddragon - I'd seen your post but forgot to send a reply. I saw the items on eBay the other day but not the 110/24: I'll have a look now. :)

-Peter

My mark 1 BSK has sold

Yesterday I was bidding on some stuff, but a loco I can buy new for £219 sold for £251, and a batch of wagons worth £120 tops went for £210. eBay lunacy!

Peter C

Established Member
My mark 1 BSK has sold

Yesterday I was bidding on some stuff, but a loco I can buy new for £219 sold for £251, and a batch of wagons worth £120 tops went for £210. eBay lunacy!
I've mentioned several times on the forum about eBay prices - almost certainly lockdown and people not always thinking before they buy! I've not bid on anything in ages: much prefer buy-it-now listings.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I've mentioned several times on the forum about eBay prices - almost certainly lockdown and people not always thinking before they buy! I've not bid on anything in ages: much prefer buy-it-now listings.

-Peter
I research prices & put it notes on my watching items, probably buy less than 10% of what I watch at best!

Peter C

Established Member
I research prices & put it notes on my watching items, probably buy less than 10% of what I watch at best!
I must admit that my watched list on eBay is really quite large. I doubt I'll buy any of the models on there!

-Peter :D

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes, the original taken in 1986.

View attachment 93437

My other shunter will be the Class 12 in Q1 2023

View attachment 93438
Surprisingly often overlooked as well, glad to see one in the offing

My mark 1 BSK has sold

Pretty tame by eBay standards for some stock! ;)