• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Peter C

Established Member
Following the Civils work to infill the base gaps left when the wall was removed, the PW gangs arrived at the up approach of Red Dragon station today to commence remodelling and power upgrade works. As you see the suburban lines have been severed but hey look, is that a new crossing going in to increase platform flexibility?

View attachment 96531

Meanwhile following a call from GWR due to a shortage of Class 800s which have yet to arrive on my railway, HST sets were being prepared for action! Only Hornby 43010 which is a total failure could not be provided!

View attachment 96532

View attachment 96534
That is a superb collection of HSTs. The station remodelling work also looks interesting - an advantage of not using cork underlay on a layout is the fact that you don't have to change that as well when you change the track.

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m wondering if you’ve split those HSTs in half to make it look like twice as many Mr @reddragon ..? :lol:

Peter C

Established Member
I'm now imagining some sort of Victorian pub brawl, in black-and-white, with jaunty ragtime music playing over the top - with you two fighting this out...

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm now imagining some sort of Victorian pub brawl, in black-and-white, with jaunty ragtime music playing over the top - with you two fighting this out...

-Peter

Dis modellin section ain’t big enough for da both of us...

Peter C

Established Member
:lol:
At some point, the fighting will pause, before one of you shouts 'You scallywag!' and then continuing the fight...
(I think I should probably go to bed at this point)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I was going to click on the "Report" button but . . . .

## Wednesday ##

Work continues on the western approach to Red Dragon station, with a crossover installed between the suburban lines; assessment gangs are looking at the old depot and western approach trackwork.

1621450534149.png

Nearby work on the down freight loop continues. 59.001 is supporting this work.

At Lemmington Grizzy, work has started on the second double sided platform & loop.

1621450491352.png

Tonight, the Down freight loop and extra platform have grown.

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
The down passenger loop was completed at Lemington Grizzy during an overnight possession. The class 416 tested the loop before returning to the depot. Currently a 5-BEL is stopped in the loop.

1621582062954.png

Work continues on the up approach to Red Dragon station with the up suburban being reconnected. A Class 466 was the first up service and a class 101 the first down service. The new link to the up relief awaits the delivery of a new RH point.

1621581981761.png

Meanwhile 59.001 is busy at work on the new link from the carriage sidings to Red Dragon Station

1621582155621.png

The track gangs decided not to relay the up sidings as they were firmly ballasted. Instead 4 of them have been extended to double the original length with old wooden sleeper track. Additional power supplies will be installed and if a DCC short occurs them the rails will be cut and a gap left. Here is where they got to.

1621623158767.png

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can’t remember what you said now, but are you going to fit point motors to any of the points? You could do surface mounted ones before ballasting?

reddragon

Established Member
I can’t remember what you said now, but are you going to fit point motors to any of the points? You could do surface mounted ones before ballasting?
I have some fixed underneath and some on top already. I'll probably do all on the main lines and ones at the back but not those in sidings.

Many but not all points have a hole underneath for underside points.

Annoyingly, the 3 way point accessing the new up sidings is playing up! Its fully ballasted . . Grrr.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have some fixed underneath and some on top already. I'll probably do all on the main lines and ones at the back but not those in sidings.

Many but not all points have a hole underneath for underside points.

Annoyingly, the 3 way point accessing the new up sidings is playing up! Its fully ballasted . . Grrr.

That is annoying! I’ve had a couple of problem with point motors over the last couple of years. It’s really tricky if you have to dig everything out again but sometimes that’s the only option.
A bit like you I’ve only got motors in the scenic areas. I didn’t bother with them in the fiddle yard.

reddragon

Established Member
Today, my Railroad 08, both 47s and 2 coaches sold and will depart for their new railway.

On my railway, there are buffet car developments on the way :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Today, my Railroad 08, both 47s and 2 coaches sold and will depart for their new railway.

On my railway, there are buffet car developments on the way :)

Got any cheese and pickle sandwiches..?

Peter C

Established Member
The down passenger loop was completed at Lemington Grizzy during an overnight possession. The class 416 tested the loop before returning to the depot. Currently a 5-BEL is stopped in the loop.

View attachment 96685

Work continues on the up approach to Red Dragon station with the up suburban being reconnected. A Class 466 was the first up service and a class 101 the first down service. The new link to the up relief awaits the delivery of a new RH point.

View attachment 96684

Meanwhile 59.001 is busy at work on the new link from the carriage sidings to Red Dragon Station

View attachment 96686

The track gangs decided not to relay the up sidings as they were firmly ballasted. Instead 4 of them have been extended to double the original length with old wooden sleeper track. Additional power supplies will be installed and if a DCC short occurs them the rails will be cut and a gap left. Here is where they got to.

View attachment 96749
That all looks really cool @reddragon - it's always nice to see what you've got done on the layout. :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@reddragon - Any chance of you giving a run through of how you fit stay alive capacitors to your locos?
I’ve got a Farish 47 that stalls on points quite frequently (it’s quite a common problem with that model), but I’ve got no idea how to go about doing it?

reddragon

Established Member
Option 1 is a Gaugemaster chip + stay alive. The little plug on the stay alive (R) plugs into the chip (L) using the socket Bottom-Right of chip

1622380742354.png1622380783614.png

Choice 2 is the new Rails stay alive chip

Choice 3 - Moving down to basics - buy a capacitor & wire one cable to each side of the circuit - power L & R, but apparently getting it right is not easy so options 1 & 2 are easier

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Option 1 is a Gaugemaster chip + stay alive. The little plug on the stay alive (R) plugs into the chip (L) using the socket Bottom-Right of chip

View attachment 97261View attachment 97262

Choice 2 is the new Rails stay alive chip

Choice 3 - Moving down to basics - buy a capacitor & wire one cable to each side of the circuit - power L & R, but apparently getting it right is not easy so options 1 & 2 are easier

Ah, so that second one is just a standard 6 pin decoder with built in stay alive?
Just a case of swapping the decoders then?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have a couple and they are like a small stay alive, maybe enough?

Worth a try. I really don’t fancy setting to it with a soldering iron so I’ve just ordered one from Rails.

reddragon

Established Member
Not a lot of action lately due to good weather outside = Gardening!

A large delivery of tracks, connectors & bits due tomorrow for the up throat of red Dragon Station :) Work can recommence!

My old mail coach has departed for its new railway, but my 59, 60 & 92 did not sell. Down turn in eBay sales due to good weather?

Some new coaching stock is also on the way and hopefully the renumbered buffet cars too!

At least 2 pre-order locos due this month too :)

DCC stay alive has now been fitted to the Class 59, 2 Lima HST power cars, Class 56, 60, 42. I still have 1 to fit and 8 split pick up DCC locos. Will the go or be done? Hmmmm. The 31, 37s, 50, blue 52, one 92 and eventually the 156 will go leaving the Red 52, 73 & one 92 to be done!

Peter C

Established Member
That makes two of us not having done much work on our layouts then @reddragon - although I must admit I've not been doing much gardening as Train Sim is easier! :D All sounds very promising with regards to the station. It's been really interesting seeing it develop considering its size: it must be nice to see it all come together?
I wonder why those models didn't sell. I expect as people start getting back to normal, they may well have less time for modelling and therefore spend less time on eBay? What price did you put them on there for?

As with the last few models you sold, do let us know if/when you sell any others. Fitting engines with a stay-alive should hopefully make them run so much better - something I need to do with my own models at some point!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not a lot of action lately due to good weather outside = Gardening!

A large delivery of tracks, connectors & bits due tomorrow for the up throat of red Dragon Station :) Work can recommence!

My old mail coach has departed for its new railway, but my 59, 60 & 92 did not sell. Down turn in eBay sales due to good weather?

Some new coaching stock is also on the way and hopefully the renumbered buffet cars too!

At least 2 pre-order locos due this month too :)

DCC stay alive has now been fitted to the Class 59, 2 Lima HST power cars, Class 56, 60, 42. I still have 1 to fit and 8 split pick up DCC locos. Will the go or be done? Hmmmm. The 31, 37s, 50, blue 52, one 92 and eventually the 156 will go leaving the Red 52, 73 & one 92 to be done!

I think you can probably afford yourself a break after the amount of work you’ve done on it this year. ;)
Anyway, I bet it’s pretty hot up there at the moment?

reddragon

Established Member
I think you can probably afford yourself a break after the amount of work you’ve done on it this year. ;)
Anyway, I bet it’s pretty hot up there at the moment?
The insulation is very effective, so its warmer than the house but cooler than outside :)

I did have a haunted moment the other day.

Having fitted my Mainline warship with stay alive, powered off and come down, it decided to go off on a run on its own! It managed a train length (8 cars) on its own, using the capacitor!

==========

I have fitted my job lot class 37 with new buffers & coupling hooks from Peter's Spares. Looks so much better!

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The insulation is very effective, so its warmer than the house but cooler than outside :)

I did have a haunted moment the other day.

Having fitted my Mainline warship with stay alive, powered off and come down, it decided to go off on a run on its own! It managed a train length (8 cars) on its own, using the capacitor!

==========

I have fitted my job lot class 37 with new buffers & coupling hooks from Peter's Spares. Looks so much better!

Good work. What make is the 37?

reddragon

Established Member
The Class 37.715 is a Lima model.

New coaches arrived, all Bachmann.

2 to increase the Blood & Custard rake to 4 good / 4 mainline (2 to go)

1623174512961.png

and 2 extras on the NSE rake

1623174553013.png

The points, power clips & extra platform sections (minus ramps) have just arrived too!