Network Rail plans for Newcastle Central Station

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Kryten2340, 11 Mar 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kryten2340

Kryten2340 Member

This was mentioned in a thread a while back of which I can't remember but Network Rail have announced their plans to upgrade Newcastle Central Station.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21734489

2. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Sounds similar to the work done on Sheffield Midland a few years back.

3. Stats

Stats Member

Full press release and images: http://www.mediacentre.eastcoast.co...EW-ERA-FOR-NEWCASTLE-CENTRAL-STATION-370.aspx

Continued at above link

4. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

It will certainly be an improvement on dodging the taxis.

5. gimmea50anyday

gimmea50anyday Established Member

Well I sincerely hope that leaky roof is fixed as part of the work...

6. Greenback

Greenback Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The new portico looks good, and I am sure that the new shops will do well, though every time I visit Newcastle there seems to be more retail units than the last time!

A new ticket office/travel centre is a priority in my view.

7. Cherry_Picker

Cherry_Picker Established Member

It says in that press release that Newcastle Central is one of only six Grade I listed railway stations in the UK.
    I was going to ask what the others were. I know that Birmingham Curzon Street is Grade I listed, but I'm not sure that it counts as a station these days because it is unused so I thought I'd have a quick search on the internet for an answer and found it easily. So for the sake of an interesting tangent, the Grade I listed stations:

Current stations -

Bristol Temple Meads
    Huddersfield
    London Kings Cross
    London Paddington
    London St Pancras
    Newcastle Central

Former stations -

Birmingham Curzon Street
    Manchester Liverpool Road

I guess it is a predictable list, but I am surprised it is so small. I'd wager the number of Grade II listings is significantly higher though.

8. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

It does - that was a good upgrade - good to keep passengers away from the path of taxis where possible (see also Waverley!)

If you'd said there was one Yorkshire station on there I'd have guessed York ahead of Huddersfield - not that Huddersfield is an ugly station of course - far from it.

9. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

The picture of the concourse on the NR site suggests that the current travel centre (with its external framework) might be replaced, or might that just be artistic licence?

IIRC some of the waiting areas on the new island platform were designed to be similar to the travel centre for supposed heritage reasons...

10. ian1944

ian1944 Member

It's predictable that more shops will be there, given the rental income these will generate. I'm old enough to think of stations as places where you catch a train, needing only a ticket/enquiry office and, if it's somewhere you may have a fair wait, a refreshment room and lots of platform seats. Now, I just ignore the overpriced on-site franchised coffee and fast food outlets.

11. LE Greys

LE Greys Established Member

I haven't got off at Newcastle since my brief time at the university in 2010, but I remember a place near the booking office under the main roof that did sausage rolls and cups of tea. Currently, there is something called the Centurion Cafe on the site, but that doesn't look like it would do decent sausage rolls for anything less than £5, so yet another convenient little spot seems to have tried to turn itself upmarket, and probably just become pretentions. However, I'd be glad to see the Travel Centre moved to the old booking hall, and the building replaced with something more in keeping with the original station design.

12. Kryten2340

Kryten2340 Member

The Centurion (the bar) has been there for a good number of years. If I'm not mistaken so has the cafe.

13. LE Greys

Maybe the website picture makes it look different from how it is. I haven't been there for three years.

14. Waverley21

Waverley21 Member

That's not entirely correct! Scotland has its own listing system, where Category A is the rough equivalent of the English Grade I.

Waverley Station is Grade I:

http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:30270

There are quite a number of others - Glasgow Central, Aviemore, Bo'ness, Broughty Ferry, Dumbarton, Dunkeld and Birnam, Aberdeen, Haymarket, Ladybank, Melrose, Glasgow Queen Street, Pitlochry, Stirling and Wemyss Bay - think that makes 15!

15. AndyHudds

AndyHudds Member

Its listed on its outside appearance only, as inside its nowt to look at to be fair. Even the current booking hall is a bit bland despite its recent renovation.

As someone who is born and bred in Huddersfield the station facade is magnificent and I for one am well proud of it and its a iconic building in the town.

16. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

I presume the inside not being the reason for the listing is why ticket gates have now been approved by all concerned parties for Huddersfield - look at the malarkey they caused at, coincidentally, Newcastle because of the building's listed status!

17. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

It is very impressive. I always half expect to see Michael J Fox hanging off of it with a Delorean whizzing around somewhere near by :lol:

18. JohnCarlson

JohnCarlson Member

Newcastle Council had at one point plans to take everything but buses and taxis away from the front of the central station and glass in the portico putting in a messene floor.

There were also plans around twenty years ago to put in a subway connecting the Metro concourse directly with all of the platforms and then out of the back of the station to improve access to the developments to the south.

I wonder if there plans if the ticket office goes to join up some of the bay platforms in eventual redness for HS2 Traffic?

John

19. LE Greys

That would be an excellent reason to remove the Travel Centre structure, although I think the footbridge is in the way and that's probably original and so cannot be removed.

20. Stats

Stats Member

The redevelopment of the station is part of a wider scheme called the Newcastle Central Gateway to redevelop the public realm around the station. Work has started on improving the area around the station for pedestrians, cyclists, redesigning the road layout and provide a direct link for pedestrians to the city centre. Unfortunately there are no detailed plans online of this work - that I can find anyway.

Although this won't be happening, the Metro Station will be refurbished as part of the Metro reinvigoration project. This was supposed to have happened last year but was postponed to fit in with the Central Station redevelopment.

No. The existing travel centre is being replaced by retail facilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.