• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Never Give Up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernboy67

I thought I would give some advice to you people who want a career on the Railway Industry. Don't give up trying.

I left school 32 years ago, have tried since then to gain employment within the industry. Before the internet came about, it seemed you either looked in the Newspapers for advertisements or visited area offices. I had my name down in the Lincoln area for possible work, and no luck.

Then in 1988 I moved to London. Throughout the 90's I looked and looked, and even applied a few times, with no luck. In 2001 I applied for a London Underground driver's job, and they cancelled the assessment 2 days before I was due to go. I was told it was being put on hold for 3 months. After I had not heard anything, I contacted them, to be told they wrote to offer me a job as Station Assistant. I didn't receive the letter! I was then told there was now no job!!

I applied to Network Rail for 2 or 3 Signalman vacancies, and the applications went no further. In 2009 I had my first ever interview for HS1 Onboard Manager and did not get it. I had one with East Coast for Onboard Assistant, and did not get that one either.

I have just been successful in my recent conductor interview and virtually passed the medical, just waiting on the Urine sample results. So I am good to go. The moral of what I have said is :- Don't give up. It is never too late to get what you want. My advice is research the companies and understand the role you are applying for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SEZDAN1982

Congratulations. You must be made up.

Have they given you a possible start date yet?
I'm currently waiting in the talent pool for a trainee conductor position with South Eastern after passing my assessment day and interview both in April. It's only beena few months but the wait is killing me lol.

All the best for your future career.

SEZDAN1982

Dover. Although I've heard positions do not come up very often so could be a long wait. What about yourself?

EssexGonzo

Congratulations and well done! Your perseverance and staying power is to be admired!

455driver

Veteran Member
Such a refreshing change to heare from somebody who never gave up despite the knockbacks and has finally got in, well done, enjoy your new career.

AndyN

Congratulations Northern Boy, you deserve it Ive gone through stages of late of feeling like giving up as Im trying to get back in the Rail Industry with Northern Rail and have no problem starting out as a Train Cleaner. Even getting on as a Train Cleaner is hard work has Ive found out and endless unsuccessful attempts even though I have done the job before

What Im doing different of late is doing courses on Customer Services, Health & Safety and about to do a course on COSHH to add to my CV, Customer Service and Health & Safety is high up on the Rail Industry agenda so Im improving in them departments. Your story has inspired me. Well done.

amateur

On Moderation
are you bitter disgruntled towards other people who seem to get a job with their eyes closed at first attempt at 18?

Status
Not open for further replies.