• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Barnet Reversal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Does anyone know what is going on around New Barnet here?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
Single Line Working, at a guess - all Up trains over the Down Fast?

GNERman

Established Member
It looks like they approach New Barnet on the Slow, work to signal K133, which is a shunt signal south of the station, reverse back into New Barnet on the Fast and go from there.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
That makes sense. Cheers for that. I wasn't sure where K133 is hence the question.

High Dyke

Established Member
Engineering work. Found this info from Network Rail.

TRAFFIC REMARKS
0230 FRI TO 2200 SAT
UP TRAINS TO TRAVEL OVER THE UP FAST LINE BETWEEN BARNET SOUTH CROSSOVERS AND FINSBURY PARK ? UP TRAINS UNABLE TO CALL AT ALEXANDRA PALACE, HORNSEY OR HARRINGAY

FCC TO OPERATE AN HOURLY DOWN HERTFORD SERVICE

2200 SAT TO 0230 MON
DOWN TRAINS TO TRAVEL OVER THE DOWN SLOW 1 BETWEEN FINSBURY PARK AND NEW BARNET OR DOWN SLOW 2/DOWN HERTFORD BETWEEN FINSBURY PARK AND BOWES PARK.
UP TRAINS ? SINGLE LINE WORKING OVER THE DOWN FAST BETWEEN BARNET SOUTH CROSSOVERS AND FINSBURY PARK. SINGLE LINE WORKING SECTION TO BE SPLIT AT ALEXANDRA PALACE

CAPACITY = 4 TPH
CAPACITY ALLOCATION = 2 FCC & 2 EC
GRAND CENTRAL & HULL TRAINS TO TERMINATE AT PETERBOROUGH AND CONNECT INTO OTHER SERVICES
NO UP SERVICE FOR ALEXANDRA PALACE, HORNSEY OR HARRINGAY
FCC UP SERVICES NOT BOOKED THROUGH THE SINGLE LINE TO START/TERMINATE AT POTTERS BAR

FCC TO OPERATE A RAIL SHUTTLE SERVICE BETWEEN GORDON HILL & STEVENAGE OR HERTFORD (NO FCC SERVICE SOUTH OF GORDON HILL ON THE SUNDAY)

Tomnick

Established Member
Thanks, thought it might be that! Good to see SLW being used occasionally in preference to buses - I didn't think we were far from a world where no-one knew how to do it any more!
It looks like they approach New Barnet on the Slow, work to signal K133, which is a shunt signal south of the station, reverse back into New Barnet on the Fast and go from there.
Assuming you're referring to the Up Fast, quite why they'd need a shunt to access the Up Fast when there's a perfectly good facing move, I don't know!

455driver

Veteran Member
Down trains are using the down slow line.
Up trains are using the down fast in the up direction, taken from High Dykes post above yours-

UP TRAINS ? SINGLE LINE WORKING OVER THE DOWN FAST BETWEEN BARNET SOUTH CROSSOVERS AND FINSBURY PARK.

So both up lines are closed.

Tomnick

Established Member
Indeed, I'd worked that one out in my post further up the page! I couldn't resist questionning the other attempts to get to the truth though ;) .

CBG2KGX

Rather tediously FCC appears to have cancelled a number of fast services on Good Friday (mentioned on their website but not in the NRE bulletin related to this engineering work). These were showing in NRE a few weeks ago but have gone now and are showing as CAN on realtimetrains. I guess something went wrong in the planning there.

ash39

Established Member
This morning (easter Sunday), I was on the 0800 York-Kings Cross, which was electric propelled by 91105.

At New Barnet it was announced due to engineering works we'd have to stop at New Barnet station, reverse back onto another line and then go forward to London. It was all performed by the same driver as i saw him walk down the platform.

Can anyone shed any light on why such a move was required?

RM-Taylor

They did exactly the same for all London bound EC trains on New Years day, trains travelling northbound weren't affected though.

Dr.iver

between New Barnet and Finsbury Park you travelled under single line working on the down fast in the up direction, hence the movement at New Barnet to take you from the Up lines to the down fast

jopsuk

Veteran Member
noted that the Kings Cross-Kings Lynn service appeared to be working as 12-car south of Cambridge today- even outside of the "peak" period for Boat Race travel.

Skimble19

Established Member
Rather tediously FCC appears to have cancelled a number of fast services on Good Friday (mentioned on their website but not in the NRE bulletin related to this engineering work). These were showing in NRE a few weeks ago but have gone now and are showing as CAN on realtimetrains. I guess something went wrong in the planning there.

They did the same yesterday, leading to a fair amount of overcrowding on Peterborough route services.. Unfortunately, none of the remaining services were extended to 12 car (unlike the poster aboves experience), no doubt due to the extra staff required at various stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.