• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New conductor positions ATW next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS.CYMRU

No I haven't rang because I have been expecting a call everyday. I dont need to give notice to any employer, just withdraw my acceptance (if it comes to that). But most people in work need to give their employer notice of termination of their contract with them so i am a bit puzzled as to why there has been no further contact. Unless no one needs to give a months notice, thats the only thing I can think of.... until i pass the medical Im not counting my chickens. Will let you know if I get another call.

Hi Lynnette

Did you manage to sort it out in the end?
The Chester course starting monday isn't it?

Lewis

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lynette Hill

Hi everyone
I e-mailed HR in relation to the course starting in June and was informed that it was not going ahead. I also queried whether I was safe to book a Summer holiday and was told that I was as the next course would be in the Autumn. However, today they have advertised new trainee Conductor positions so I intend on e-mailing again to get an update on our situation. I have now started full time employment so may be re-considering whether I take this opportunity or not.....big decision time!
Lynette

LS.CYMRU

Hi everyone
I e-mailed HR in relation to the course starting in June and was informed that it was not going ahead. I also queried whether I was safe to book a Summer holiday and was told that I was as the next course would be in the Autumn. However, today they have advertised new trainee Conductor positions so I intend on e-mailing again to get an update on our situation. I have now started full time employment so may be re-considering whether I take this opportunity or not.....big decision time!
Lynette

Hi Lynnette

Thanks for the update.
I was going to wait until next month to contact them but now I may do it a little sooner. It definitely looks positive that they're still actively looking to employ people. I hope we can get on a course before Christmas as it's hard to plan life with not knowing where I'll be.
I'll keep you updated

Kind regards

Lewis

aimmee

ive been told they have put up conductor jobs because a large amount of conductors have gone for driver jobs so there could be openings

TeaTrain

If your already in the talent pool for a specific depot and they have re-advertised, I would strongly recommend you contact HR.

This happened to me when I applied. Was put in a talent pool for one year and I had to remind them I was waiting to get my spot on the course.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi Tom

Do you know what position this is for?
Me and Lynnette are in the conductor talent pool for cardiff valley lines

Kind regards

Lewis

Guard at Chester.

They are now recruiting from scratch for Cardiff, Llandudno, Holyhead and the Cambrian depots closes 31/07 !

Lynette Hill

This is so frustrating as I'm sure only one person was allocated to the Cardiff course from our recruitment batch and everyone else was put into the 'talent pool' and told they would be contacted when the time was right. I am third position, apparently so presume I would be called for the next course. Has anyone waiting contacted HR to get an update ?

LS.CYMRU

This is so frustrating as I'm sure only one person was allocated to the Cardiff course from our recruitment batch and everyone else was put into the 'talent pool' and told they would be contacted when the time was right. I am third position, apparently so presume I would be called for the next course. Has anyone waiting contacted HR to get an update ?

Hi Lynette,

I understand your frustration as I feel it to!
I spoke to HR and all they said is they confirmed I was in the Talent pool for Cardiff (didn't specifically say valley lines).
They also said they were advertising these conductor posts to strengthen the existing talent pool and would be in contact once a suitable course became available.
They wouldn't tell me where I currently was positioned..

The only positives I'm looking at is there is a lot happening lately with trainee driver vacancies, and conductor vacancies.
I've even noticed they're advertising for a trainer role which needs to be able to train both the Cardiff and Chester training centres

I'm feeling optimistic

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-30_23-19-55.png
    upload_2018-7-30_23-19-55.png
    278.2 KB · Views: 16

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
All Cardiff jobs will be Valleys, movement to the wholly separate mainline depot is only done via depot transfer request and when your number comes up as vacancies occur.

LS.CYMRU

All Cardiff jobs will be Valleys, movement to the wholly separate mainline depot is only done via depot transfer request and when your number comes up as vacancies occur.

That’s interesting to know.
The new trainee conductor role for Cardiff says central as opposed to valley lines which is strange

craigybagel

Established Member

Except for when there's nobody left waiting to move from Valleys to Mainline, but there are still vacancies to fill on Mainline. As recently as last year trainees went straight on to Mainline because of that.

That’s interesting to know.
The new trainee conductor role for Cardiff says central as opposed to valley lines which is strange

It does say Valley Lines if you read further down the page. Both Mainline and Valleys conductors are based out of Central, and start and finish every shift there. They are seperate depots in terms of staffing, routes worked and even certain employment T&C's, but they work out of the same office and share management.

LS.CYMRU

It does say Valley Lines if you read further down the page. Both Mainline and Valleys conductors are based out of Central, and start and finish every shift there. They are seperate depots in terms of staffing, routes worked and even certain employment T&C's, but they work out of the same office and share management.

Ah right fair enough. That makes sense.
I just hope hope if they do run courses that I’ll be lucky enough to get on one

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
With the recent proposals in Valley lines, I’d expect those who were in two minds would be putting their name down for a mainline move ASAP.

SquarePeg

Hi all

I can see there are some folks here in the existing talent pool for Cardiff and have questioned when the course might be happening. I’ve had an email today that might help clarify.

Long story short I applied for the Cardiff role recently posted, I’ve passed the sift and had the invite for the first 2 tests.

The email has a breakdown of dates for the various stages and says there is a Conductor course provisionally starting on the 29th of October for those that are successful. It stresses the date is provisional and could change.

Without wanting to speculate, I’d imagine that anyone in the top few of the existing pool would get onto that course if the candidates on this intake don’t rank higher.

LS.CYMRU

Hi all

I can see there are some folks here in the existing talent pool for Cardiff and have questioned when the course might be happening. I’ve had an email today that might help clarify.

Long story short I applied for the Cardiff role recently posted, I’ve passed the sift and had the invite for the first 2 tests.

The email has a breakdown of dates for the various stages and says there is a Conductor course provisionally starting on the 29th of October for those that are successful. It stresses the date is provisional and could change.

Without wanting to speculate, I’d imagine that anyone in the top few of the existing pool would get onto that course if the candidates on this intake don’t rank higher.

Thank you for this information, that's very helpful!
The same happened with us when we applied, although I think the course ended up being pushed back a couple of weeks.

I think I'm 6th in the talent pool so I'm not getting my hopes up at all really. Good luck to those applying regardless

Lewis

Pintpuller

Afternoon, I'm new to this , I've got through the first round (I'm over the moon) I really didn't think I would get this far, I've been in my present job 18 years and I'm feeling despondent with it all.I need to do the scatt test online and I'm really worried about it I'm not the best at tests , I've found a few links to it for practice tests but they cost a fortune something I don't have , does anyone have any links for the tests, also I only have an iPad , I take it that the link won't work on an iPad? Also the course starts in October but reading between the lines on this forum it sounds like the interviews are for a talent pool not for current positions as there are people already in a talent pool waiting positions. I've applied for HH . What does the medical entail? I would appreciate any advice given thank you

SquarePeg

Hi mate, well done for getting this far! I’m not the best informed but I think you’ll struggle on an iPad. I think there’s a problem with flash player on iPads and you need that for the tests.

I also think that it’s best to do them with a mouse, from what I’ve heard. Might be worth going to your local library if you don’t have access to a pc or laptop with a mouse.

As for the tests, while you won’t be able to physically do them, try YouTube - there’s examples on there. At least that way you’ll see how they work and what’s expected.

My understanding is it’s a talent pool, but if you are a stand out candidate you’ll effectively jump that queue and go on the training course provisionally scheduled for late October.

Good luck with everything, hope it goes well for you.

SquarePeg

Just to add - my understanding is the medical will test whether you are colour blind or not and your general vision. It will also check your BMI, your blood pressure and a sample taken for drugs testing too.

Pintpuller

Thanks for your help, I won't get my hopes up , will a talent pool still run with them changing contracts? I wear contact lenses so I hope that doesn't go against me with the medical?! I feel slightly disappointed now that it's a talent pool ,but I shouldn't grumble I know I'm lucky to get this far, do people generally get offered positions in a talent pool when they become available ?

SquarePeg

No worries! I think you should look at it positively; ultimately if you do really well at every stage of this process you’ll get onto the training course in late October and become a Conductor. That’s the way I’m looking at it anyway.

Yeah it won’t be a problem that you’ve got contact lenses, as long as your sight is good with them in you’ll be fine.

Hopefully someone better placed than me can answer your question about becoming a Conductor on the back of being in a talent pool, but my view is that you’ve got to be in it to win it. From what I’ve read here there are people that have been successful and others are still waiting. The key point seems to be regular emails to recruitment to let them know you’re still alive and keen!

A lot also seems to depend on how much movement there is amongst existing Conductors internally. E.g have they taken internal roles elsewhere. I think a few might have gone for the trainee driver roles recently advertised. I only say that because they advertised for trainee drivers and then this advert was live in all the locations they wanted drivers.

As for the contract changing, I think that’s a great question. Honestly, I think being in a pool when the contract changes is not an ideal place to be. They may well want to do their own recruitment from that point on and draw a line. I just can’t help but think you’ve got to go all out to get in before it changes.

Pintpuller

Yes your right , like you say if I'm not in I can't win ,so she will give it my best shot and see how I go, thanks again

SquarePeg

Well I reckon I’ve screwed it up big time! The numberical / verbal reasoning test was a shambles! If I get through after that I’ll be beyond surprised. Answered 11 out of 12 questions and must’ve guessed 2 or 3 as well. Mini SCAAT was ok but it’s probably irrelevant based on the other test being awful. Gutted is an understatement.

LS.CYMRU

Well I reckon I’ve screwed it up big time! The numberical / verbal reasoning test was a shambles! If I get through after that I’ll be beyond surprised. Answered 11 out of 12 questions and must’ve guessed 2 or 3 as well. Mini SCAAT was ok but it’s probably irrelevant based on the other test being awful. Gutted is an understatement.

Don't worry mate. You may have done better than you thought.
It's done now so just think positive and at least you know what to expect/work on next time

SquarePeg

Cheers buddy, fingers crossed but it was a disaster. I’ve always hated those picture sequence ones and they get me every time. Still like you say, I know what to expect next time and can practice. Good luck with your slot in the pool, hope you manage to get on the course.

LS.CYMRU

Cheers buddy, fingers crossed but it was a disaster. I’ve always hated those picture sequence ones and they get me every time. Still like you say, I know what to expect next time and can practice. Good luck with your slot in the pool, hope you manage to get on the course.

Yeah I know what you mean. So much harder when you're being timed too.
I know it sounds stupid but I found BBC bitesize is a good place to practice

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

SquarePeg

Yeah I know what you mean. So much harder when you're being timed too.
I know it sounds stupid but I found BBC bitesize is a good place to practice

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

Cheers mate I’ll give that a go. Out of interest did you manage to complete all the questions? And did you guess any or feel you got any wrong?

LS.CYMRU

Cheers mate I’ll give that a go. Out of interest did you manage to complete all the questions? And did you guess any or feel you got any wrong?

I think I answered them all, but I reckon there was a couple I was probably unsure of so just guessed.
To be honest it was so long ago now and it was all a bit blurry

Status
Not open for further replies.