• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Guard at SWT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman

Hi everyone, I have just been offered the job of Guard with SWT (non commercial) just wondering what the classroom training involves. Being a new starter does anyone know if you get free travel on SWT to Basingstoke where the classroom training is based? Or do you have to wait a while before you get free travel at SWT?

Can't wait to start!!:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Can't say what the training will involve but your travel will be covered.

You'll get a letter which will act as your ticket for the first day and then issued with a temporary travel pass.

455driver

Veteran Member
as stated, for your first day your induction letter will act as a pass to get to Basingstoke, you will then be issued with a temporary one while your proper one is sorted out.

Monty

Established Member
Well done, what depot did you get?

First week of training is normally your corporate induction followed by a disability awareness and conflict awareness course (both are two days each). After that you spend roughly six weeks at the training school doing your rules and basic traction. Then, depending on your depot you'll learn any additional traction you may have to sign and then spend around four weeks doing your routes. :)

9K43

At London Waterloo. Really can't wait to start.

I did 30+ years as a guard, best job anyone could ask for.
The wage paid for my house car, and free travel all over Europe/ England, and a small pension at the end of the day.

Just now waiting for my State Pension, and good health to see me into oblivion. Good Luck..........

Londonguard

Well done,

Training school will teach you PTS, signalling, rules and regulations and what do do in an accident. You get lots of train working where you go out in groups to practice door operation and dispatch procedures. Think they still do a signal box visit as well. Ask lots of questions, and be prepared, there are tests most weeks before your Final.

When you pass out you'll do Route learning. At Waterloo non commercials sign:
Chessington
Docking
Guildford via Cobham
Guildford via Epsom
Guildford via Woking and Weybridge
Hampton court
Shepperton
Kingston Loop
Hounslow loop
Weybridge via Hounslow
Windsor
Reading via Ascot

I believe new Guards are also being taught Basingstoke.

Traction:
450/444
Will soon sign the 458/5's when they come in to service, and eventually 456

Once you've done your route learning you'll spend a few days working turns with a coach before starting on the roster.

I'm based at Waterloo, if you need any help just let me know.

Bluejuice

Nice one. I'm trying to get into this sector at the moment. Seems a tough cookie to crack. Enjoy

Nestor

Hi
I've got a Guards Assessment on Thurs 20th at SWT Southampton, anyone else going?

Gman

The assessment is pretty much like the practice materials you have. The key is not to race through the questions but to be accurate. If you get stuck on a question just move in to the next - good luck

looks129

hi there, i have my assessment next week and i was wondering as you have had yours can you provide me with some info as to what the role play was on and the interview stage..? look forward to hear from you

chilli_palmer

Hi everyone, I have just been offered the job of Guard with SWT (non commercial) just wondering what the classroom training involves. Being a new starter does anyone know if you get free travel on SWT to Basingstoke where the classroom training is based? Or do you have to wait a while before you get free travel at SWT?

HOW IS your training going ...

Last edited:

Gman

I start on Monday; looking forward to it. Phone HR and ask if there is availability on an earlier course. Worse that can happen is they say no. Well done btw

chilli_palmer

I start on Monday; looking forward to it. Phone HR and ask if there is availability on an earlier course. Worse that can happen is they say no. Well done btw

Did they send you letters or call you after your medical

chilli_palmer

i start on monday; looking forward to it. Phone hr and ask if there is availability on an earlier course. Worse that can happen is they say no. Well done btw

do you have to be smart dressed for your medical or can you attend it with casual dress?????

chilli_palmer

i start on monday; looking forward to it. Phone hr and ask if there is availability on an earlier course. Worse that can happen is they say no. Well done btw

do you have to be smart dressed for your medical or can you attend it with casual dress?????
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

DO YOU HAVE TO BE SMART DRESSED FOR YOUR MEDICAL OR CAN YOU ATTEND IT WITH CASUAL DRESS ..if you can help plz let me know

Gman

Very good; really enjoying it. Week 1 is mainly induction. Week 2 is disability awareness and conflict awareness. Week 3 (this week) is the start of your theory. personal track safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.