• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New guards blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm starting a new blog based on my experiences of the railway as a guard. Not much on there at the moment but i'm hoping to expand it soon.

Please feel free to bookmark and come back soon for updates.

Single to Mauldeth Road

Hello,

Welcome to my blog 'Single to Mauldeth Road'. This blog intends to be a light-hearted view of the goings on of a conductor on the railways in and around Manchester. Some informative, some funny, some just down right stupid.

Its my first blog and I don't really know what to expect. I'm open to suggestion and if anyone wants to see anything specific or ask any questions please feel free to do so.

The title of the blog is a tongue in cheek mention of what I like to call our 'most popular ticket'. Its the cheapest fare from Manchester Piccadilly and we sell loads of them. Primarily because people are trying to dodge the barriers and then hoping they don't bump into the conductor on the train. Our railways lose thousands in revenue every year like this and as nice as it is to get something free in life we'd probably have much better railways, better stations, better trains if people actually paid the correct fare!

The usual rant applies....Anything I say on here is my view. It is not associated or affiliated by any train operating company nor other company for that instance. Its my words, my opinion and no one elses. If anything offends you please let ME know and we can have a chat about how i'm right!! ;)

Thats all for now

The Guard

Mods i'm usless at putting stuff in the right place so please feel free to move!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
I'm starting a new blog based on my experiences of the railway as a guard. Not much on there at the moment but i'm hoping to expand it soon.

Please feel free to bookmark and come back soon for updates.

Single to Mauldeth Road

Mods i'm usless at putting stuff in the right place so please feel free to move!!

so when you are on the 4 airports and Crewe via the Airport Job what will you put lol ?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Love this kind of thing so will definitely follow it! With these blogs is it possible to get automatic notifications of new entries?

Flamingo

Established Member
Be mindful of what your employer may say if they read it and find out it's you...

9K43

Started as a guard on DMU's, 1982 and took the brass from DB .
All my service was as a guard/trainman/team member ' B'
With loads of memories waiting to arrive outa me head.
With all my NUR/RMT Diaries from day one.

Thanks for all the support and guidance peeps. Hope I keep you entertained!

New post gone on today but more of an introduction again so far!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Love this kind of thing so will definitely follow it! With these blogs is it possible to get automatic notifications of new entries?

Not sure about that I'm pretty new to it myself. It's hosted on blogger which is a google site so if you have a google account I assume you'll be able to follow it!

martin2345uk

Established Member
I don't suppose there is any chance of changing the colour scheme from light text on dark background, to dark text on light background? It makes my eyes go funny so I have to copy and paste the text into Notepad :(

Simon11

Established Member
Be mindful of what your employer may say if they read it and find out it's you...

I agree and the picture on your 2nd blog potentially shows something that a Guard shouldn't be doing, taking a picture while in a position of responsibility.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Hey thanks for changing the inverted colour scheme, so much easier on the eyes now! Look forward to future updates :)

Starmill

Veteran Member
I agree; this looks fascinating. If you can, please stick at it! I am thoroughly jealous of your job by the way, though judging by this:

so when you are on the 4 airports and Crewe via the Airport Job what will you put lol ?

that may not last!

Flamingo

Established Member
I've often wondered what else a guard does,so will follow with interest :D

Sits in the rear cab / buffet kitchen, drinking tea, occasionally rousing themselves to unlock the doors and blow a whistle - best job on the railway! :lol:

Yew

Established Member
Its quite good I like the tone of it and found it enjoyable to read :D

There will be no Northern bashing. There may be passenger bashing or indeed as the next post suggests trainee driver bashing but that will be the limit of bashings (ok we might bash the pacers as well but as I quite like them that will be rare!)

New post gone on just now. Hope it finds you all well!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There will be no Northern bashing. There may be passenger bashing or indeed as the next post suggests trainee driver bashing but that will be the limit of bashings (ok we might bash the pacers as well but as I quite like them that will be rare!)

Trainee Conductor Bashing, or not because sometimes they make your job easier? ;) <D

Very interesting read.

TP

Blindtraveler

Established Member

you just made my day - another Pacer fan! Great read again too! Thanks.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
just been catching up on your latest Blog posts, these are great! In particular its rather nice to find someone who both likes 142s and dislikes TPE as I do! My hatred of the latter may be stronger than yours however due to being at the wrong end of there Scottis service. Convinced a 142 would be more suited to that run!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Excellent - you have a good and easy writing style and excellent observation and humour.

Now a question - if you are "spare" and get asked to cover a job at short notice , do you carry round a whole set of depot work diagrams - or do you pick up a copy of the job you need to cover from "supervision" - or (more likely?) - the relieving conductor / guard. ? .

Depends on the circumstances. Another guard covered my first move the other day and I had to get my diagram off him on the platform. Normally if spare you collect the work from the 'depot manager' which is a Northern name for 'train crew supervisor'

Status
Not open for further replies.