• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New GWR Trainee Driver Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KT530

Does anyone know khow much the London based drivers are on? I see that in the regions its about £44k??

£46,680 basic (+ rostered Sundays = circa £52,000)
All LTV depots same pay - no London weighting for Paddington.

Ewie13

Just had a phone interview this afternoon and got an e-mail 15 minutes later saying I passed :).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The first online test is competency based questions which are scenarios a train driver would potentially be in. E.g. Kids are playing near the line, what do you do? And then you get 3 options for an answer.

The second test is a memory based test. It shows you a sequence of letters, then asks you to pick out the same pattern in a choice of 5/6 options. The sequences get longer and the time lessens as the test progresses. Definitely need a good mouse to do it.

Hi Srich82,

Congratulations on passing the phone interview, I passed mine this afternoon, happy is an understatement.

Have they given you an assessment date yet?

srich82

Hi Srich82,

Congratulations on passing the phone interview, I passed mine this afternoon, happy is an understatement.

Thanks mate and well done to you too :).

I haven't heard anything yet, I imagine they'll be doing interviews for the rest of the week so they probably haven't scheduled a date for assessments yet.

If there's one thing I learnt from other posters it's that the application is a long process.

Nick82

Just wondering if anyone new (Not talent pool) who put in for the vacancy at various locations have heard anything after conducting the 2 online tests

Ewie13

Thanks mate and well done to you too :).

I haven't heard anything yet, I imagine they'll be doing interviews for the rest of the week so they probably haven't scheduled a date for assessments yet.

If there's one thing I learnt from other posters it's that the application is a long process.
Thank you, I suppose the longer it takes the more time to practice for the assessments.

I got the same feeling that it's either going the speed of light or the speed of a glacier!!
Just wondering if anyone new (Not talent pool) who put in for the vacancy at various locations have heard anything after conducting the 2 online tests
I am not former talent pool, I completed the second test last Thursday evening and had a reply on Tuesday afternoon this week. As they opened the advert up again I'd imagine they have more to go through so response periods may be longer.

jballz72

Congratulations Ewie 13 & srich82 on passing your phone interview, had mine today & received an email 30 minutes later to confirm I had passed, not had any dates for assessments as yet, patience is the order of the day I feel.

d3160y

Hi guys
I've completed 2 online assessments. Actually last one was done yesterday. I'm wondering how long does it take to get any info regarding if I pass or fail? Is anyone able to give me the rough idea how the phone interview look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAMU83

Hi
sorry to post in this thread. Could someone please advice me on what test I should be excepting for trainee driver online assessment for Greater Anglia. Can't seem to find anything on the web. Thanks!

Ashish237

Hi Srich82,

Hi ewie13 I give my telephon interview and they said u have to wait for 4 weeks for reply. How long it's takes for u to they comeback with reply for tel inter.
Hi ewie13 I give my telephon interview and they said u have to wait for 4 weeks for reply. How long it's takes for u to they comeback with reply .

jballz72

Hi guys
I've completed 2 online assessments. Actually last one was done yesterday. I'm wondering how long does it take to get any info regarding if I pass or fail? Is anyone able to give me the rough idea how the phone interview look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took them about a day to reply by email after the 2nd assessment.

runju265

Hi,
I have done my first online test, does anyone know how long they take to reply to that?

Had a phone interview today, didn't think it went that well but I passed, it said on the reply that if too many passed it only the strongest candidates would be advanced, is that a generic message or an indication that my interview wasn't that strong?

srich82

Had a phone interview today, didn't think it went that well but I passed, it said on the reply that if too many passed it only the strongest candidates would be advanced, is that a generic message or an indication that my interview wasn't that strong?

Well done mate :).

That's a generic message. Until they've completed all their interviews they wouldn't know who the strongest candidates are.

Last edited:

Ewie13

Complete speculation and assumption here.....

But if that is the generic response with a caveat stating that basically only the strong candidates will survive, surely there is a risk that everybody receives a pass notification and then once the phone interviews are complete a further cull will take place?

Or am I reading too much into it?

Thanks srich82!

Ewie13, the thought crossed my mind too, its a tricky position because the 'pass' is valid for 6 months so if another ad went out for the west depots we could automatically reapply, but then, if it wasn't good enough now it probably won't be good enough then either.

srich82

Complete speculation and assumption here.....

But if that is the generic response with a caveat stating that basically only the strong candidates will survive, surely there is a risk that everybody receives a pass notification and then once the phone interviews are complete a further cull will take place?

Or am I reading too much into it?

Yes, the wording of the e-mail is deliberate for that exact reason. We'll have to wait and see, if too many people pass the phone interview then they'll only progress the best.
Thanks srich82!

Ewie13, the thought crossed my mind too, its a tricky position because the 'pass' is valid for 6 months so if another ad went out for the west depots we could automatically reapply, but then, if it wasn't good enough now it probably won't be good enough then either.

Well they've said you're good enough, but it might not be the best out of the pool of candidates. For example, at school most consider a C a passing grade. They've said you passed, so you could have a grade of anywhere from C to A*. If they only want to progress 20 people, but 100 people got Cs and above, they'd progress the best first. So if 20 got A*s, chances are they'd be first in line.

In regards to the 6 month issue, first off you passed, so they believe you're good enough. Just because your grade isn't the best in one pool of people, doesn't mean it won't be considered near the top in another.

Last edited:

beany

After the 2 online tests were you guys informed by email that you would get the telephone interview ?
A friend has had an email telling him he didn't pass the tests,I've had nothing and I applied before him.
Also if I do get a call,what sort of things were you asked ?

After the 2 online tests were you guys informed by email that you would get the telephone interview ?
A friend has had an email telling him he didn't pass the tests,I've had nothing and I applied before him.
Also if I do get a call,what sort of things were you asked ?

I got an email confirming I passed the 2 online tests within a day, or 2 at the most. They will send you instructions for the interview, if you prepare using these you will be fine.

beany

Still no reply after online tests,called last week and they said wait for email.
I'm sure I'm going to get the "we have applicants who had higher scores,but we will keep you on file.." email I got a few years ago when I applied.

Well I've heard nothing about the next stage so there's no reason to think they aren't still on the phone interviews. Keep the faith!

Ewie13

Me neither, it'll come soon enough, due to the length the application was live is assume there are a fair few candidates to get through. It'll be rush rush again soon enough.

Dan83

Hi Guys

I'm looking at the career path of train driver but dot really have any idea where to start apart from using google......can anyone help.

Thanks

jballz72

Hi Guys

I'm looking at the career path of train driver but dot really have any idea where to start apart from using google......can anyone help.

Thanks

Firstly Dan look on the Forums on here, some fantastic information to be had, secondly make sure you have the right skill set that the T.O.C.s require, then you can make you mind up if it's the right career path for you to follow.

Ewie13

Hi all,

Just wondered if anybody has heard anything in the past week regarding assessment dates?

Nick82

I'm curious to know, I did the online assessments about 3 weeks ago but have not heard anything. By reading this post is seems to be the case as some have had telephone interviews already, I seem to be waiting but unsure what for in terms of good or bad news. Has anyone been down this road before as I am lead to believe no news means I passed the online assessments but nothing regarding next stage.

Many thanks

Hi all,

Just wondered if anybody has heard anything in the past week regarding assessment dates?

Nothing since confirmation that I passed the phone interview 2 weeks ago tomorrow, the application status still shows as 'application submitted', that suggests to me that they aren't finished with the telephone interviews yet.

Ewie13

Nothing since confirmation that I passed the phone interview 2 weeks ago tomorrow, the application status still shows as 'application submitted', that suggests to me that they aren't finished with the telephone interviews yet.

I'm in the same boat as you WishfulThinker...just I'm 3 weeks this Thursday.... They did say it could be 4 weeks until we find out if we have passed or failed though... By reviewing the pass email in under an hour I'd assumed that the 4 week clock was now void.

Status
Not open for further replies.