• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New London Midland timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Good news for the users of the 110mph services, which are presently limited to operating in 4-car formation only: London Midland have reported that they carried out more high speed tests with 12-car formations during the February half-term, in order to gain a better insight into the dynamics of operating with three pantographs at over 100mph – Apparently the first time that such an arrangement has been tried. Two different designs of pantograph are being trialled and compared, a modified Brecknell Willis type and an all-new Richard design, for eventual installation on the 350/1s.

Apparently the 110mph services have proved so popular that growth on the route since December has almost doubled from the equivalent of 30% a year that it was previously experiencing.

The second phase of Project 110 looks exciting. In combination with the introduction to service of the ten new Class 350/3s, which will be delivered over the summer of 2014 and will be fully introduced to service by the end of that year, from December 2014 Phase 2 of Project 110 is expected to deliver the following:

Anyone that is passing through Euston on Wednesday morning, keep your eyes peeled for signs of something special celebrating the success of Project 110. ;)

Interesting, so it will be possible, i imagine this will lead to developments with the IEP most likely requiring two pans up in multiple and the possible pantograph designs that will enable that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martinsh

Established Member
Good news for the users of the 110mph services, which are presently limited to operating in 4-car formation only: London Midland have reported that they carried out more high speed tests with 12-car formations during the February half-term, in order to gain a better insight into the dynamics of operating with three pantographs at over 100mph – Apparently the first time that such an arrangement has been tried. Two different designs of pantograph are being trialled and compared, a modified Brecknell Willis type and an all-new Richard design, for eventual installation on the 350/1s.

Apparently the 110mph services have proved so popular that growth on the route since December has almost doubled from the equivalent of 30% a year that it was previously experiencing.

The second phase of Project 110 looks exciting. In combination with the introduction to service of the ten new Class 350/3s, which will be delivered over the summer of 2014 and will be fully introduced to service by the end of that year, from December 2014 Phase 2 of Project 110 is expected to deliver the following:

Anyone that is passing through Euston on Wednesday morning, keep your eyes peeled for signs of something special celebrating the success of Project 110. ;)

Great ! 8 car trains might mean there is one toilet in working order !!

sprinterguy

Established Member
So are LM operating the 110 mph timetable with just 350/1s or..?
Yes, only the 350/1s have had the necessary modifications made (Strengthened traction motors, altered pantographs and changes to the suspension to name just a couple) to allow them to operate at over 100mph.

I haven't been able to discern whether the new 350/3s that will be delivered in 2014 will be 110mph units from delivery or not, though.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Yes they are going to be.

And the unit loaned to TPE would be a /1, surely? Not much use in training up crews on 110mph stock with a 100mph unit otherwise...

Last edited:

jaigee

I recently wrote to LM highlighting the deterioration of services north of Rugby regarding connection times northbound, both at Nuneaton from East Anglia and at Stafford. I received this reply:

I write following our recent exchange of correspondence regarding the
timetable change which affects your connection at Stafford station.

I have liaised with the department which plans the timetables and they have advised me that the changes were necessary due to the new improved journeys times between Milton Keynes and London Euston. Unfortunately due to timetabling constraints elsewhere, it was not possible to maintain the
connections at Stafford for Liverpool, or Nuneaton for Stafford.

However, I have been assured that if there is scope to improve these
connections in future timetable changes, then this will happen.

I hope that this information has been useful to you. Thank you once again,
for taking the time to highlight this matter to us.

Does not sound too promising.

It would be interesting to find out whether the changes have affected passenger numbers north of Rugby, to me the trains appear less populated than previously. With the loss of the East Anglia connection the numbers joining at Nuneaton is far less .

Last edited:

Lewisham2221

Established Member
It would be interesting to find out whether the changes have affected passenger numbers north of Rugby, to me the trains appear less populated than previously.

My experiences since the timetable change have shown the opposite. Southbound, middle of the day, trains with passengers standing from Stafford.

jaigee

My experiences since the timetable change have shown the opposite. Southbound, middle of the day, trains with passengers standing from Stafford.

Sorry, I meant northbound passengers starting from Rugby onwards.

Travelling to most points NW from the Trent Valley stations (and connections) now sees increased journey times due to the extended connection times.

Travelling the other day on a nearly empty train there was a woman, apparentley travelling from Rugby to Liverpool, berating the poor ticket inspector on the time it was going to take her.

As I predicted earlier, Stafford's Pumpkin gets pretty busy from **:35 onwards! :lol:

Last edited:

bILLOO

I see two non-stops from Northampton in the morning peaks from 2014; no paths for an all day hourly service that is fast to London?

EDIT: Shortened

Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
I see two non-stops from Northampton in the morning peaks from 2014; no paths for an all day hourly service that is fast to London?

EDIT: Shortened

No market either, I imagine?
People paying for relatively fairly-priced CDRs will not expect 2 minutes shaving off their journey to London and additionally the loss of travel options to Milton Keynes.

Status
Not open for further replies.